OT: Nice axe for Lonestar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artmusic

Reaction score
I have been playing my blonde strat w/Seymour Duncan pickups through my Lonestar Classic and it sounds great, but....it doesn't compare to my 71 Deluxe or the way the Deluxe sounds. Thing is, for me anyway I don't feel comfortable taking the Paul out to some gigs. I am looking for something in between these two guitars and was wondering about the PRS line. Is anyone using one with a Lonestar and if so, how do they sound as compared to a Paul. I know this is subjective but you guys always have great input so I thought I'd throw this thought out. Thanks,
Art

Do you mean the Les Paul deluxe and you're not comfortable because of its monetary value ? Some people don't like LP because they're heavy to gig for a couple hours and thus not "comfortable". Just want to be clear.
Depends on the PRS line. PRS are as expensive as LP. I'll try to be as objectively as possible. I have a custom 22 and 24, and have played a friend's single cut regularly.
PRS is extremely comfortable to play and it's very 'ergonomic'. Wide range of tone depends on the pickup. They don't sound like LP nor Strat. They are my favorite giging axe however, but nothing can replace that classic LP tone. Well your is a minibucker so it's different, a lot brighter than a standard as I recall.
Just go and try them out. BTW I don't like the cheaper ones (SE or whatever) becasue they don't have the same feel at all and the pickups are horrible.
PRS and Mesa, you can't go wrong.

Thanks j...It is the part monetary, part personal value, I have had the guitar for 20 years and though I have played it at many gigs, I prefer to play it at home. I know the PRS are expensive, that's OK, I really think I want a guitar that has the versatility of a strat but with the sustaion and power of the Paul. I also like the double cut-away, much easier to get up on the neck than with the Paul. I'm probably asking for more than is reality, I will comprimise just a tad to come close to botrh.
Art

P.R.S Johnny Hiland is the closest to a les paul and fender. i am in the same boat as you i have a custom les paul and a delux tele. and i don,t like taking my les paul to some gig,s so i have a johnny Hiland on order hope to get in the new year.have you tried el34,s in your lone star i feel the same about my lsc 2x12 its sounds great with humbuckers but i also have a lss 2x12 combo that i use for my tele and thats the amp i use the most. i played a vibrolux for years till i found the lss now my poor little vibrolux sit,s in the corner

I use a 2005 Lonestar 2x12 or my Mark I when gigging. I only use a combo of three guitars with them.

A PRS Santana III (pictured at left). A 1972 Gibson SG w/the stock Gibson pickups and a 2006 Schecter C1+ with a Mo' Joe PU in the bridge.

The PRS is without a doubt the best sounding. Full with great sustain. And of course a PRS is so easy to play. It cost a bit though, about $2300 used.

The Schecter is next and the SG last. The Schecter is also very easy to play and with the Mo' Joe bridge PU it also has great sustain and literally screams, whereas the PRS is a little more sedate. It was extremely affordable for the quality, $600 new.

The SG sounds very thin and weak, but I don't want to ruin the value by replacing the electronics. I'll sell it someday as is instead. I play it at home and at practice through a 1968 Fender Bandmaster and it sounds OK. It cost me only $399 new (in '71 though).

The Santana III is more reasonably priced than the much more expensive Santana II. The Santana II's use the Santana III pickups because Carlos likes them, so there is really not much of a difference in tone. A little due to the the neck on the II model, but not enough to pay an extra $3000 for!

I actually use my Schecter the most when I gig. It has great sustain plus the single coil tap. Of course both Boogies have great sustain and tone. The Mark I (with a single 12" speaker) is a little more "classic" sounding and is louder than the 100W Lonestar with 2x12" speakers.

Of course, neither one gets turned up that loud with today's soundmen/PA systems! I have to fight them at times to get it turned up to a tolerable stage volume. Some soundmen want the stage volume so low it's ridiculous.

The Mark I starts to sing at about 7/8/2 (Tweed) on the volume controls (channel 1). 2 is LOUD, and every little increment beyond 2 is amazingly loud for this little amp. I've never had a soundman allow me to turn it past 2½ without pitching a *****. At 2½ the sustain sweetspot is huge! Carlos at his finest, but he turned his all the way up (can't even imagine playing that loud, and we play all types of venues from clubs to arenas).

The Lonestar has too many variables to detail here, but basically 7/7/4 (Tweed) on the volume settings (channel 2), but the sweetspot is still much smaller than the Mark I at the approx. same volume.

Then again, it's all a matter of personal preference.

I have a 05 Lonestar Classic, and my main axe is a PRS CE 24. The funny thing is when I first got it I thought it was a little funky to get used to going from a Strat for 15 years to a PRS, but now I couldn't imagine using anything else. I to have a nice Heritage H157 that I hate to take out, and with the 5 position switch I can get any sound I need. If you look hard enough you can find them used for at least half of retail.

Thanks for the great feeback. I am going to check out the PRS line and a few others as well. I was also thinking about putting in a Seymour Duncan over-under humbucker into my strat to test that senario. I have seen a few guitars with the coil tap option, thought IU've never had one. That sounds like a versitile idea.
Art

I love PRS guitars, but not all their pickups. I have a Johnny Hiland, which has unique range of sound and is terrific.

Even though you prefer the double cut, I would recommend that you try a Singlecut Trem, and I am especially partial to the Indian Rosewood Neck. The #6 pickups won't get you all the way to LP or Strat, but I feel the SCT may be the Swiss Army Knife of PRS.

The new Swamp Ash Special with the 5 way switch might also appeal to you, as might the 513.

Demo, demo, demo ...

the johnny hilland is the only Prs i would buy the rest are wastes of money.. i have so many PRS's and hated all of them.. your better getting a new gibson or something like that,,

P-90's are the great solution for me. I played a used PRS mcsoapie with three p-90's in it and I've never been happier.

If your feeling frisky, put a mini JB humbucker in the bridge of your Strat, could save you some dough.

Latest posts

Back