Ordering pairs or quads of el 84's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannedheat77

Reaction score
I was wondering how critical it is to buy matched quads of el84's. I am running a LSS and will be switching between power modes based on the situation. Most of the time I will be in 15 or 5 watt mode. I will probably only use the 30watt mode for clean sound while giging or for louder practice. So I am thinking of getting a pair of good tubes because it suits my budget and maybe adding the other pair later. Will it hurt my sound tommorow if I am cheap today? Has anyone intentionaly mixed pairs of tubes for sonic effect?

You ought to take a look at the warranty situation on your amp, that might cause you to think about restricting your choices to Mesa labeled tubes for it for as long as the warranty is in effect...

Tubes tightly matched for current draw, within 1 ma of each other, will tend to have more sustain and harmonic complexity at the limits of clean headroom, while mismatched tubes will tend toward a fatter sound.

It's best over all to have power tubes matched within 20% of each other for current draw. El 84 tubes from mesa or other new production makers are relatively inexpensive...The Russian Mesa tubes tend to be durable, I have read from other posters that Mesa sells their el84's without matching them other than falling within their specs. If that's true then it's close enough for rock and roll and not to worry.

Yes, it is possible to mix makes of tubes for sonic effect as long as they are compatible with the amp's bias setting, which in your case is considered relatively hot if it's a class A power section... So it's much more important to purchase tubes that fall within the amp's design specs than a colder biased class AB power section.

You might wish to define what you think "good" tubes are...as opposed to not so good...Peace.

"You ought to take a look at the warranty situation on your amp, that might cause you to think about restricting your choices to Mesa labeled tubes for it for as long as the warranty is in effect... "

I think a lot of people worry too much about Mesa's warranty policy.If you have to send the amp back for warranty work just put the original tubes back in.

Kinda funny, 'cause I'd have to buy some mesa tubes just to send mine in to get worked on! Glad they're inexpensive.

I just recieved a matched quad set from Mesa for my LSS-10 Yellow. I aksed for this in the comments box when I ordered them. I didn't ask for the Yellow, but I described the kind of music I play and the sound I was after.

TW

Latest posts

Back