Opinions - Marshall TSL100/TSL601?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdortona

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm considering picking up one of these amps and wonder if anyone has played/used these? I trust the BB members' opinions more than the typical Harmony Central reviews 8) The 601 is a combo and the 100 is a head. FYI, Thanks!

Matt

I believe there were some issues with overheating on the boards.
That said, my buddy has one and he has had no problems with his.

I had a TSL60, it was my first tube amp. I had it for 2 weeks before I realised it wasn't possible to get great sounds from it. It then broke within those 2 weeks so I sent it back and the shop replaced it with a DSL50. This is amp is SO much better than the TSL range. The TSL 100 is decent enough, it's not a BAD amp but the tone on the DSL is way better. I can't explain exactly what it is, it just sounds better. Try one!

If you absolutely must have a JCM2000 series amp then get a DSL series instead of TSL. The TSL series don't sound as good and the footswitches breakdown like you wouldn't believe.

A friend of mine has had some serious issues with his DSL100 head. Overheating on the boards, parts of the PCB burning out and arcing across parts of the board. The entire bias on that amp is completely ruined, he now has to have a purposely non matched quad of EL34s in there so that they all run evenly as the bias current doesn't run evenly to all 4 tube sockets. I know that sounds really crazy/stupid/insane, but it's true.

His DSL Is a very early one from when they first came out. Do yourself a favour and buy the newest one you can find (with warranty) get a tech to look at it and put a fan in there. Best of luck!

I bought my TSL 100 new three years ago. Love it. It is very noisy compared to Boogies though. I have a bit of a time setting the bias...(back/forth back/forth) because I'm a bit shaky turning the little screws that last tiny bit and you may know that an adjustment in one warrants adjustment in the other to balance them out. But it has great tone and has been reliable. I took in in to the tech about the noise floor and he turned two more on to show me they were the same. The white noise hissing sound that I DON'T HAVE with boogies :)

When it is played it Rocks in my view, between songs... it goes "ssssshhhhhsssss" (sound man hated it, he loves the Boogies)
It is nice and quite on the clean channel.

Thanks for the info! I'll keep the Ssssss issue in mind. Actually, I played a JVM410H this evening at GC and man, I'm GAAAAASSSSING big time!!! :lol:

I plan to give the TSL100 another listen too. Now, it's a question of which Boogie goes - the MKIV or the Express 5:50. Tough call for many reasons....... :?

Matt

mdortona said:
Thanks for the info! I'll keep the Ssssss issue in mind. Actually, I played a JVM410H this evening at GC and man, I'm GAAAAASSSSING big time!!! :lol:

I plan to give the TSL100 another listen too. Now, it's a question of which Boogie goes - the MKIV or the Express 5:50. Tough call for many reasons....... :?

Matt

You don't even need to plug in just turn it on and turn up the volume on the third channel a ways and listen to the noise! I heard about the pedals too so I have spares. (4 here!) I will likely never need one because: My RULE, never even plug an amp in to the wall until all of the connections are made.

Be sure to enjoy the clean channel. It is outstanding.

mdortona said:

Matt

JVM is a good head, I decided to keep mine and send it to VooDoo for a transformer upgrade.

its the best amp Marshall has built in years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBrkfgLd_iw

My friend had a tsl 100 for the last 4 or 5 years. the footswitch had broken withing the first few weeks.

of the 3 channels on it they all do the same sound pretty much.

since it doesnt really sound good untill you turn the master almost all the way up. the crunch and lead channel are so close it seems usless to have both. by the time the master volume is turned up to get good sounds from the gain channels the clean channel has no more headroom left so its not really clean.

I do really like the sound it makes on rythm/lead with the master all the way up, but for what its worth you can probably get the same or better sound for less money ,and by shattering less windows with extreme sounds pressure.

I love my tsl, I am having a blast with it, I use g12h heritage speakers and a eq in the loop. Sounds great, thinking about getting a 2x12 version also.

I love my tsl, I am having a blast with it, I use g12h heritage speakers and a eq in the loop. Sounds great, thinking about getting a 2x12 version also.

Used a TSL100 for a long time (recently sold it). Fantastic amp. Lots of features. Sounded best through marshall cabs with Celestion GT75s (don't use it with vintage 30s...they don't play nice IMO). Wasn't a big fan of the effects loop config but it works okay. Great tone that is much different than my other gear (mesa, peavey).

Thanks for letting me know about the V30s vs. GT75s. I'm not thrilled about the fx loop either, but it's usable. Take care!

Matt

Latest posts

Back