Opinions/Advice on Cabs to go with a Single Rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjs

Reaction score
So after a whole bunch of back and forth on what type of head to get I finally decided to get a solo 50 v2. Prior to this I've only played combos though, never bought a cab, never really played through one for a long time.

Anyway I need to get a cab to go with this thing. For the sake of being able to move it around myself I'd rather not get into a 4x12. I was thinking of trying it out with a recto 2x12 and a roadster 2x12. I've also read a lot of good stuff about avatar cabs, unfortunately I doubt I'd be able to try one of those without buying it first.

I know the net is chuck full of opinions etc etc but I was hoping to get some feedback here and maybe some other options of stuff to try with it. I'd also like to hear from people that have run a single rec through a roadster cab and/or a recto 2x12. Anyone running a single rec through an Avatar vintage 2x12? I'd also like to know if I'm shooting myself in the foot by not going for a 4x12.

Thanks for reading!

fjs said:
So after a whole bunch of back and forth on what type of head to get I finally decided to get a solo 50 v2. Prior to this I've only played combos though, never bought a cab, never really played through one for a long time.

Anyway I need to get a cab to go with this thing. For the sake of being able to move it around myself I'd rather not get into a 4x12. I was thinking of trying it out with a recto 2x12 and a roadster 2x12. I've also read a lot of good stuff about avatar cabs, unfortunately I doubt I'd be able to try one of those without buying it first.

I know the net is chuck full of opinions etc etc but I was hoping to get some feedback here and maybe some other options of stuff to try with it. I'd also like to hear from people that have run a single rec through a roadster cab and/or a recto 2x12. Anyone running a single rec through an Avatar vintage 2x12? I'd also like to know if I'm shooting myself in the foot by not going for a 4x12.

Thanks for reading!

What do you want to do with the thing!!??? Are you planning on gigging? 4 x 12s are a buttpain to move but they project like nothing else.

2 x 12s:
Check out Mills Mach212B. These are tight and HUGE sounding.

Check out the Mesa Road King 2 x 12. I was particularly impressed with this one. It is much more even and balanced sounding than the rectocab.

Those would be my top two picks.

Thanks for the reply.

To add some more info.

I do not plan on playing out with this rig, this is strictly for my little corner of the house that I have for my "stuff" At most it might get moved once or twice a month to a friend's house for a jam session.

I'm looking at the 2x12s mostly so if I do want to move it around or take it somewhere, I can do it by myself with some degree of ease.

The goal is to get something that sounds great with the solo 50, but is versatile enough to handle an "upgrade" to a dual or a roadster in a year or so.

Thanks again for reading.

Mills MACH212B

Definitely the next best thing to having a 4 x 12 without the added size. You'll have good tone right from low volume all the way up to gig volumes and you can COUNT on it to keep up with the added grunt from a Dual or Roadster.

That being said, ANY of the 2 x 12s mentioned in this thread will keep up with a Dual or Roadster. I just happen to think the Mills design sounds best. It is the most clear, tight, and articulate, but really any of the options will work perfectly well for what you need.

**Note** I don't believe all 2 x 12s come with castors on them. If you get one without castors, I'd suggest installing some. This will help out immensely with transport.

The Avatar Vintage cabs have an open back, and the contemporary have a closed back. The traditional has a board you can add to the cut-out to block it off.

Lopo for inexpensive cabs,

http://www.lopoline.com/home.html

I have 2 cabs here, one is an old MusicMan 4-12. A straight, front mounted cab measuring 27.5" X 27.5" X 13.5" deep. It's loaded with WGS ETS-65's and Veteran 30's in an X pattern. I find this cab a bit boomy with the Single-Rec, but it was killer with my 1987 clone!

I also have a 2-12 Lopo cab, small but deep, loaded with a pair of EVM12-L's. This cab is very tight and focused with the Single-Rec. I've only had this amp 4 days but I'm really liking the Lopo cab

RectoLopo2004.jpg

Port City...That is all.

I start thinking im some sort of Port City preacher, but i honestly can't help it. These cabs are amazing, especially if you're a recto player. The port opens your tone a bit, but also makes your tone so much tighter, and significantly adds more natural bass from the speakers.

YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT

For the money I'd say Avatar for a 2x12. You can get just about any speaker (G12K100!!!) and tolex color for a good price. Mills are the best but they cost twice as much. I recently got a Splawn 4x12 cab and the quality of this thing is amazing. They sell loaded 2x12's for $500 also.

I own a Single Rectifier, that I ran through a 4x12 recto cab and now a 2x12 vertical recto cab and, though the 4x12 is awesome, the difference between it and the 2x12 doesn't worth the pain of hauling around the 4x12. That's why I'm selling my 4x12.

The 2x12 vertical Mesa cab sound huge, is slanted, has side handles and casters, seriously, I couldn't ask for more. I don't know about the horizontal one, I'm sure it's a great cab too, Mesa = quality.

Hope this helped!

I've been using an oversized Randall 2x12 with my Single Rec as well as Marshall and Mesa 4x12's.
The 2x12 holds it's own very well. This particular cab is very big sounding. I would look into something similar. 14 inches deep if possible so you get the same depth as a 4x12.

ElectricTurkey4369 said:
Port City...That is all.

+1

Port City cabs are the ****. My next choice if I didn't get my Orange PPC HP-8. I plan on owning Port City cab sometime within the near future, though.

ElectricTurkey4369 said:
Port City...That is all.

+1

Port City cabs are the ****. My next choice if I didn't get my Orange PPC HP-8. I plan on owning Port City cab sometime within the near future, though.

For the record,

I didn't like the EVM12L's all that much. A bit too bright and lacking in the mids

I tried some WGS Veteran 30's. I was getting some hellish cone cry...

I installed a pair of WGS ETS-65's. These are great with this amp & cab. Thick, chunky bass, nice mid punch and controlled treble

Thanks for all the feedback!

As fate would have it I came across a deal on a "standard" oversized Recto 2x12 that was too good to pass up - $375 for a mint "used" one. I figured just shy of 400 is way better than just shy of 700 or 1k if I wasn't pleased with the sound and wound up flipping it to someone else.

Anyway I'm extremely pleased with the end result, it's easy enough to carry if I need to move it, no casters on this one, and it sounds both huge and great - at least to me.

Those Mills cabinets look like serious business as do the Port City. At some point I'm sure I'll wind up with a 2x12 from one of those two companies but for right now I'm very happy with the recto.

FJS---good score,man! 8)

Definitely check a Port City cab when you get a chance. The 4x12 OS of theirs sounds way sweet!

Contrary to popular belief, the construction of a cab will heavily influence the tone so different cabs with the popular V30s are going to sound (very) different. You should definitely try different cabs in person and get a feel for what they sound like.

That being said, the oversized 2x12 Bogner cabs receive a lot of love and you should definitely give them a try!

Latest posts

Back