Old and gray, R.I.P. STR415

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boogiebabies said:
Buddy said:
Now that's just plain mean .......

What ? I got on the band wagon before there was a band wagon.

I caught the bug in '85. I was 13 then.

No ya silly so & so , LOW RES PHOTOS !!!!!!!!

Just a tease you are .

gts said:
Boogiebabies said:
Do you mean IIC+'s or STR-415's ?
Hmmmm Good question!!
I don't have a problem with my stash of unused 415's, but I would promise my liver, kidneys, heart and a $ 2.00 bill to anyone who has some fresh STR-416's !!!!!!! Just two 416's and I can put together a IIC+ with all possible factory preamp and power tubes. I can get a duet of Phillips 6CA7's, but I gotta have the green paint man !!!!

I've never seen one with the green paint.. are they real or just myth/ legend?

Green, Blue whatever. I must have !!!!!

Mainly a 58 Les Paul with a Duncan EVH in the bridge or a Music Man Luke (1996 with Floyd) EMG 85/SA/SA. I have adjusted the 240 above the center line and may run the treble at 7 depending on the cabinet. The tone is smooth, dark and harmonically rich. It's not too agressive and is reminiscent of Vito Bratta's tone on Pride. The pull shift on the treble and pull bright are always engaged. The clean tone with the single coil EMG's is very close to Knofler's Sultan's tone. I gain a good amount of agression by running the 6600 just above center line. The presence lives at 2.5 and all are Simul-EQ-Reverb's run with Svetlana 6L6/EL34's or GT 6L6GE/6CA7GE's. The pre's are GT 12AX7M's in the V1 and V5 and Ruby 12AX7C9's in the V2-V4. Five RFT's and STR-415's are seriously sublime, but I feel guilty for wearing out NOS tubes. I tweak the graphic depending on the cabinet.

Boogiebabies said:
gts said:
Boogiebabies said:
Do you mean IIC+'s or STR-415's ?
Hmmmm Good question!!
I don't have a problem with my stash of unused 415's, but I would promise my liver, kidneys, heart and a $ 2.00 bill to anyone who has some fresh STR-416's !!!!!!! Just two 416's and I can put together a IIC+ with all possible factory preamp and power tubes. I can get a duet of Phillips 6CA7's, but I gotta have the green paint man !!!!

I wouldn't worry about the paint, as the blue on mine is all but gone. The 6L6's were like that with only a burn in and play test at Boogie. :eek:

DSC02768.jpg

JOEY B. said:
Boogiebabies said:
gts said:
Hmmmm Good question!!

I wouldn't worry about the paint, as the blue on mine is all but gone. The 6L6's were like that with only a burn in and play test at Boogie. :eek:

DSC02768.jpg

Braggart. :evil:

Boogiebabies said:
I can get a duet of Phillips 6CA7's, but I gotta have the green paint man !!!!

Joey B. said:

Boogiebabies said:

If you can get a set of Philips 6CA7's that will draw around 20mA (which is what mine do) in the Class-A sockets, I would jump all over them. Then hook me up with your supplier. :D

Hey Ed, how do you like those Mullard Clones? I can't find them anywhere but I do want to try them out.

Hey, and are you really running one 8 ohm cab out of each of your speaker jacks? That is, an eight out the eight ohm jack and an eight from each four ohm jack? Sorry for the tangent, although I don't feel too bad since we're basically fluffing out post counts anyway.

Thanks,
Victor

JOEY B. said:
Boogiebabies said:
I can get a duet of Phillips 6CA7's, but I gotta have the green paint man !!!!

Joey B. said:

Boogiebabies said:

If you can get a set of Philips 6CA7's that will draw around 20mA (which is what mine do) in the Class-A sockets, I would jump all over them. Then hook me up with your supplier. :D

http://www.hitestguitars.com/

$ 250 a set. OUCH !!!

phyrexia said:
Hey Ed, how do you like those Mullard Clones? I can't find them anywhere but I do want to try them out.

Hey, and are you really running one 8 ohm cab out of each of your speaker jacks? That is, an eight out the eight ohm jack and an eight from each four ohm jack? Sorry for the tangent, although I don't feel too bad since we're basically fluffing out post counts anyway.

Thanks,
Victor

The 12AX7M is a great tube with gain in the 105-110 level normally. They are however the most unreliable tube I have ever bough. I have had 12 out of 20 go bad and even their replacements are giving me the intermittent helicopters.

I am running three 8 Ohm cabs. One from the 8 Ohm Jack and two from the 4 Ohm Jacks. The 8 ohm jack to the 8 ohm cab is a perfect match. Running two more 8 ohm cabs out of the 4 ohm jacks is also a match as the impedance is halved to 4 Ohms. If I ran two 4 ohm speakers out of the 4 ohm jacks the load would only be 2 Ohms and run the tubes and transformer too hard. I like to get the brightness from the 8 Ohm tap and blend it with the smoother 4 Ohm taps. They all mix together very nicely. The difference between the taps on these amps is almost like a different voicing.

Boogiebabies said:
I am running three 8 Ohm cabs. One from the 8 Ohm Jack and two from the 4 Ohm Jacks. The 8 ohm jack to the 8 ohm cab is a perfect match. Running two more 8 ohm cabs out of the 4 ohm jacks is also a match as the impedance is halved to 4 Ohms.

You're underloading by 100%. Won't hurt anything but it does change the tone and reduce power. What you're doing is the same as plugging one 4-ohm cab into the 8-ohm jack.

AdmiralB said:
Boogiebabies said:
I am running three 8 Ohm cabs. One from the 8 Ohm Jack and two from the 4 Ohm Jacks. The 8 ohm jack to the 8 ohm cab is a perfect match. Running two more 8 ohm cabs out of the 4 ohm jacks is also a match as the impedance is halved to 4 Ohms.

You're underloading by 100%. Won't hurt anything but it does change the tone and reduce power. What you're doing is the same as plugging one 4-ohm cab into the 8-ohm jack.

Pretty much.

Boogiebabies said:
AdmiralB said:
Boogiebabies said:

Pretty much.

hey BB with my C+ i got it's matching 1x12 Evm 200v so i have 2 of those 1x12's would i get the best response from the 8ohm and 4 ohm tap or the 4ohm and 4ohm tap?

Boogiebabies said:
AdmiralB said:
Boogiebabies said:

Pretty much.

hey BB with my C+ i got it's matching 1x12 Evm 200v so i have 2 of those 1x12's would i get the best response from the 8ohm and 4 ohm tap or the 4ohm and 4ohm tap?

Boogiebabies said:
Mainly a 58 Les Paul with a Duncan EVH in the bridge or a Music Man Luke (1996 with Floyd) EMG 85/SA/SA. I have adjusted the 240 above the center line and may run the treble at 7 depending on the cabinet. The tone is smooth, dark and harmonically rich. It's not too agressive and is reminiscent of Vito Bratta's tone on Pride. The pull shift on the treble and pull bright are always engaged. The clean tone with the single coil EMG's is very close to Knofler's Sultan's tone. I gain a good amount of agression by running the 6600 just above center line. The presence lives at 2.5 and all are Simul-EQ-Reverb's run with Svetlana 6L6/EL34's or GT 6L6GE/6CA7GE's. The pre's are GT 12AX7M's in the V1 and V5 and Ruby 12AX7C9's in the V2-V4. Five RFT's and STR-415's are seriously sublime, but I feel guilty for wearing out NOS tubes. I tweak the graphic depending on the cabinet.

IS THAT A REAL 1958 LES PAUL??????????

Latest posts

Back