Okay, what vintage amp would you buy (player content) ...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvschulz

Reaction score
This question is brought up by a local (to New Orleans) semi-famous guitarist who is selling off his "famous" Mk I that he toured with in the 80s opening for the Stones. He played for local legendary group -

He or his agent was asking $3500 for it locally on CL, I emailed him to try EBay because ... quite frankly I was tired of seeing the ad. I thought $3500 was ridiculous ... but what do I know ? so I ask this question -

Assuming money was no object for you, and you COULD get any amp you wanted by asking to buy it ... which one(s) would you want ? Boogies first, but any other amps are ok too !!!

Ron Wood's Mark III Blue Stripe

Keith Richard's Mark IIB

Jimmy Page's Vox AC30 (used for most of his studio work)

The Stones Ampeg SVT 300's front line during the Get Your Ya Ya's out tour

Jerry Garcia's Fender Silverface

I've narrowed it down to 3...

1) Eddie Van Halen's Marshall 1959 Super Lead that he used on the first 2 VH albums...

2) The Marshall that Slash used for "Appetite for Destruction" (Supposedly a modified Super Bass)

3) Stevie Ray Vaughn's Fender Super Reverb..

Sorry I didn't list any Boogies, but my Boogie's probably sound just as good as anyone else's, famous or not....

Hetfield's IIC+.

Petrucci's Mark collection.

The Marshall amp Slash borrowed for Appetite.

Angus' Marshall for the early AC/DC albums.

Reinholdt Bogner's personal favourite Bogner.

don't know... maybe an orange OR120... or hiwatt 200, i saw the shipping news plays one of these and really liked it (with a gibbie goldtop)

There was a gentleman in Leo's Music in Oakland one day in 1980 demoing an amp he built himself. He let me try it out, but I passed on buying it because it didn't have reverb. It was about the same price as a Mesa with the options at the time. It was called an Overdrive Special 60. I'd like that one.

I'd also like a good AC-30.
I'll take Neil Young's Tweed Deluxe when he's done with it.
I'm happy with the Boogies I have, but if I could have Jerry Garcia's MK I I'd use it.
Another BF Deluxe Reverb would be nice so I could run in stereo.

Overall, I feel like I've got the amps I want.

rvschulz said:
This question is brought up by a local (to New Orleans) semi-famous guitarist who is selling off his "famous" Mk I that he toured with in the 80s opening for the Stones. He played for local legendary group -

He or his agent was asking $3500 for it locally on CL, I emailed him to try EBay because ... quite frankly I was tired of seeing the ad. I thought $3500 was ridiculous ... but what do I know ? so I ask this question -

Assuming money was no object for you, and you COULD get any amp you wanted by asking to buy it ... which one(s) would you want ? Boogies first, but any other amps are ok too !!!

Just for shits & grins, I looked up that ad on CL. It's marked down to $3250 now...I guess to the right person it would be worth that much...

brian may's modified whatever he had. I guess I'd have to have his guitar, too...

If I could have ANY amp, I'd want back the fender 400ps I traded for a little ampeg 4-10 combo a decade or so ago. All tube, with six 6550A tubes making 435 CLEAN watts, seperate bass and guitar channels, with 3 independant outputs. it's clean tone was pretty sterile, though not BAD sounding(considering my talent, or lack thereof). I ran a tube works pedal in front of it for distortion. For a while I had it hooked up to 1 of the original 18" folded horns, a grey fender stack, and a marhall stack, all running simutaneously. Thunderous. Positively monsterous.

Back