ok, what does it mean between the "marshall" tone and

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth155

Reaction score
any other kind of tone?
like, how come i cant get this type of "timbre" from my 50-caliber+?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpxPzdsIRrU&playnext_from=TL&videos=mfCaFTEfCuQ

is it cuz that amp is a Marshall? and mine's a Mesa?
i don't understand. is that the difference between "british" and "american" sound?
like, what would be a typical "american" tone? could someone link a youtube vid?

what amp would i need to get, to get the kind of tone that's in that video clip?

Your 50-caliber+ well not sound like a Marshall. It was not designed to get that sound. There are a lot of amps that mimic the classic Marshall sound. Not all Marshall amps well do the classic Marshall sound. Marshall has made a lot of different amps over the years. Probably the best by Mesa is the Series I Stiletto amps.

When someone talks about American sound most of the time they are referring to Fender or Fender type sounds. Same with Fender they have made a lot of different amps over the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4yAGOwJeZ0

a big part of "the marshall sound" is overdriven el34 tubes in the power section. like mr. sawall suggested, the stiletto is aiming for this type of tone.

I was thinking of using EL34s in my 3ch DR next time to experiment to see if it gets closer to a Marshall sound and remove some low end mush/boom. More chainsaw from the lows just for a change.

enuenu said:
I was thinking of using EL34s in my 3ch DR next time to experiment to see if it gets closer to a Marshall sound and remove some low end mush/boom. More chainsaw from the lows just for a change.

It well change the sound .... but it still is not going to sound much like the classic English crunch sound. I like EL34 better for everything but cleans in a DR myself.

enuenu said:

it doesn't make huge difference, it'll still sound like a recto, not a marshall. The lows will be cut a bit though.

Recto on clean and a decent Marshall clone pedal. :?: Wampler has a few pedals that are pretty good quality. Worth a look. Your amp has Rectifier DNA though. The force is strong in that one....

I have a rec, ran some Tesla EL34's, it did provide a little change. No sweet Mark type leads or much of a change in Vintage mode. It is still a Rec, it still takes over the sound of the guitar when the gain is cranked. All that over the top crazy sh!t I bought the Rectifier for!!!! 8)

Ever see that guy with a hot wife that cheats with an ugly fat girl? Same question going thru my mind.

Keep in mind that none of the tones in that vid of Page and Perry are particularly high gain. What's commonly thought of as the "cranked Marshall sound" refers to non-master volume amps. In other words, not a lot of pre-amp distortion.
Try cranking the Volume knob on your 50+ Cal. and staying out the Lead channel if possible. This will give maximum but not over the top sustainy gain, but still decent definition, as the video depicts.

The Marshall tone has almost nothing to do with overdriven EL34s in the power stage. Heresy, maybe... but here's why:

First, a JTM45 sounds like a Marshall and it uses KT66s or 5881s. Second, the 2203/2204 Master Volume amps still sound like a Marshall when the master volume is turned down. No overdriven EL34s there either. Different flavors to be sure, but all Marshall. Actually most of that Marshall tone comes from the cathode-follower tone stack driver, which all these amps have - even in the non-MV amps, it still contributes a lot of the distortion. And so does a Dual Rectifier...

And, you can make a 2-channel Dual Rectifier sound quite like a Marshall 2203. Yes really! Through the same speakers you can get it close enough on some settings that it's hard to tell which amp is which. Admittedly not on others, but if you *try* to make them sound similar, you can. I'm not going to say they are identical because they aren't, but if you use your ears and set them carefully they will cover a lot of the same ground.

I played old Marshalls for years and I still love the tone of them, but they never made an amp with both the tone and the switching options I wanted. Mesa did.

But a Caliber series is very different.

Silverwulf said:
Video has been removed. Have another example?

How about this one ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdo0fbTGcQ4&feature=player_embedded

....it was just the classic JP and JP crunch sounds of a Marshall turned up.(Jimmy Page and Joe Perry)

stephen sawall said:
Silverwulf said:
Video has been removed. Have another example?

How about this one ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdo0fbTGcQ4&feature=player_embedded

Whoa! That perked me up better than my morning Mountain Dew. Seriously, if you want a good example of high end Marshall tone give this a listen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRnPE1u4ruM

....it was just the classic JP and JP crunch sounds of a Marshall turned up.(Jimmy Page and Joe Perry)

I've played various Marshalls for the past 20 years so I'm pretty familiar with what they can and can't do. And as posted earlier, the Marshall sound of a JTM-45 series is quite different from the master volume 2203/2204 types - although both classic in their own right.

With my Mesa Roadster, channel 3 in raw mode gets me the purest master-volume style Marshall tone, BUT not with those Vintage 30 speakers in a recto cab. I swapped to G12K100s which are an upgraded/better version of the classic G12T-75's. Or you can run it through a Marshall cab (I like the B cabs myself) and hear the difference easily there.

On this Charvel guitar review I wrote, I've got a video playing through a Roadster w/2 x 12 and those G12K100 speakers. Definitely a Marshall flavor - at least to my ears. EL34 and 6L6 swap would only do so much, and I agree with the above - it won't get you there.

http://www.legendarytones.com/CharvelSoCal.html

Speaking of the Roadster, the Brit mode has got to be the most underrated mode on that amp. I like mine...

You cannot get a DR to sound like a Marshall. EL-34's won't even get you close.

However, the Brit mode of my Road King gets pretty close to sounding like a 4-input non-master volume Marshall. Whether or not it nails the Plexi tone per se is subjective.

Marcus71 said:

However, the Brit mode of my Road King gets pretty close to sounding like a 4-input non-master volume Marshall. Whether or not it nails the Plexi tone per se is subjective.

The Brit mode is actually quite similar to the Marshall Vintage Modern IMO...

KH Guitar Freak said:
Marcus71 said:

To which amp are you speaking?

The Vintage/Modern thing has me a bit confused.

In all fairness, the last newer Marshall I have heard was the DSL100 about 10 years ago. I am more experienced with the 4 input versions, some modded and some not. I don't think I have ever played a JCM900???

Marcus71 said:
KH Guitar Freak said:
Marcus71 said:

To which amp are you speaking?

The Vintage/Modern thing has me a bit confused.

In all fairness, the last newer Marshall I have heard was the DSL100 about 10 years ago. I am more experienced with the 4 input versions, some modded and some not. I don't think I have ever played a JCM900???

The Marshall Vintage Modern. Marshall has released several line of amps since the release of the DSL100... :mrgreen:

KH Guitar Freak said:
The Marshall Vintage Modern. Marshall has released several line of amps since the release of the DSL100... :mrgreen:

I imagined so. I saw a couple of their heads recently that had more knobs than a space shuttle. Anything good?

Latest posts

Back