Ok so What gives?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCOTTY

Reaction score
Why are we all saying that Mesa Boogies are built like tanks, but every other tread is about a problem someone is having with their great reliable Mesa amp? Am I the only one picking up on this? I love the sound of my Mesa so don't think I am not trying to bash Mesa Boogie. I thought I would just ask this question.

Thanks

Scotty......let the beating begin :D

SCOTTY said:
Why are we all saying that Mesa Boogies are built like tanks, but every other tread is about a problem someone is having with their great reliable Mesa amp? Am I the only one picking up on this? I love the sound of my Mesa so don't think I am trying to bash Mesa Boogie. I thought I would just ask this question.

Thanks

Scotty......let the beating begin :D

For the same reason if you go to online review sites for apt complexes, realtors, etc...and see mostly negative feedback. People go out of their way to speak out when they have something to b*tch about, not so much when they've had a "good" experience.

^ What he said.

I've owned 3 Mesa's - V-twin rack pre, F-30, and currently a Rectoverb ser2. No problems, ever. 8)

Well, this is a place to look for help if you do have a problem so that’s part of it.
I think if you could some way compare the percentage of people posting their amp problems with the amount of actual happy Mesa owners on the planet you would find that they are in fact built pretty solid. Of course it’s all relative to how much you pay for something too.

I think the majority of "problems" are really just people searching for tone. EQing, pickups, speakers, tubes...none of these things are problems associated with a defect, just a matter of preference, wear and tear and that search for the grail tone.

yeah, I've had just about every amp (combo, head and rack) that Mesa has ever produced. and never had a problem with any of it. just the occasional tube related stuff but that has nothing to do with Mesa

My first Boogie (bought new in 1985) MkIII purple stripe still has the original fuse and outside of having been recapped (just to see if I could really hear a difference as there was nothing wrong with the original caps) and modded a few times has 100% original parts. This amp saw 15 years of full time (5 to 6 nights a week) use. I now have several other amps and MkIV's etc. but this is still my go to amp and the one I prefer to gig with cos it still sounds f*&^(*ing fantastic. The only Boogie I've ever had come into my shop needing repairs was a footswitch problem caused by abuse. Virtually all the rest are for mods and general check ups or the usuall "operator ignintz".
Don't be dissing the Boog or we might get upset.

I've owned Mesas for over 7 years ( i know not that long but hey i'm only 26) and I have never had anything break down or need repair other than a fuse once and regular tube changes. Meanwhile the marshalls I owned before I became a mesa man, would break if you looked at them wrong.

The issues you hear many complain about is mostly expecting too much ( and yes i'm guilty of this). The switch popping in the Roadster and Road King stem from having to switch way more parameters than other Rectos and its only heard at low levels. I thinks its a fair tradeoff for the flexibility it gives you. Other complaints to me either stem from user error, unrealistic expectations and not knowing the wear and tear on the amp when they buy it used.

I think most of the problems you will find on here are "operator error" but just like everything in the world stuff breaks every now and again. I've only had one problem with my mesa knob breaking off and it got fixed in a hurry.

take it from someone in the hospitality industry...

people only go out of their way to *****. they only say nice things if its in conversation.

lyman said:
Riff Blister said:
Well, this is a place to look for help if you do have a problem so that’s part of it.

right. and what silverwulf said: people don't bother to start threads titled "yup, my amp is still working!"

LOL , Yep my amp is still working !!!!! Too funny.

By the way my 400.00 Crate amp did blow up! That was the opportunity I use to explain to my wife I needed a 2k Mesa!!!

Small world.

Nice replies....now lets go play some music.

Scotty

MF said:
I think the majority of "problems" are really just people searching for tone. EQing, pickups, speakers, tubes...none of these things are problems associated with a defect, just a matter of preference, wear and tear and that search for the grail tone.

+1

And i've owned several Mesas and never had a problem (other than an old faulty tube!)

I've owned a Mark IV, Roadster, F-30, Rectoverb, and now a Stiletto and all have lived up to the 'built like a tank' stigma. The Mark IV was the most impressive since it was a '91. I could leave it on ALL DAY for recording and it never complained...

im a 20 years proud boogie user now (gosh, already?? wow, getting old . . . :p ) and the thing that catch me up to'em aside sound, was their realiability. Founding a reliable amp tech down here in the 80's was hard and when you find they charge you a leg to fix it, so the normal routine was to found a brand that never fails . . .

well, around 11 boogie amps and 2 decades later using them straight (well, well, not straight, since there were sometimes that i cheat'em with some Riveras (wonderfull amps also) just got 1 lil problem with a cal50+ head, something with the octocouplers :? whatelse can i ask??

To me, Mesas are like Porsches or Ferraris, they will stand the test of time for sure 8)

My RKII of 3+ years is still alive and kicking, and the ol' Quad pre I picked up a year ago is showing no sign of age.

Actually I was rockin' out with my Quad pre a while back. It was un-racked, sitting a top my Road King stack (full stack) I had set up at the time. I had no idea how it happened but it attempted suicide and jumped :shock:. When it reached earth the Road kings foot controller broke its fall... I picked the Quad up and it played like nothing happened. The RK foot controller only suffered and small dent.

Latest posts

Back