Ok, so I gave my Triple another chance.......

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StratTone

Reaction score
I did some testing with my Triple in the different modes with the bias probe hooked up to monitor the bias. Well you can get about 60% plate disapation with 6L6s set in the EL34 position Spongy/Rectifier. I think I'm right at 56ma per tube.

The amp sounds MUCH MUCH MUCH better with a hotter bias. It still isn't my favorite out there but sounds much better. Way less fizz and fuzz.

At 480 Plate Volts ( most Recto's ) , 56 mA is 90%, NOT 60% ! You are going to red plate those tubes like that. Your plate voltage can be measured on pin 3, and it is a needed value to determine % of max. dissipation. Even if your plate voltage is at 460 volts that is still 85.8%

The formula is Plate Voltage X Current (bais) Draw / max. plate dissipation.

So it's:
480 X .056 = 26.88w
26.88 / 30 = .896 or 89.6%

Dom

Man it is amazing how much better an amp sounds when it is out of crossover distortion. It is so much smoother. I still like my Marshalls better but the Mesa now sounds good in its own right. Very articlulate now. With the settings I had before I was getting 14ma a tube. :shock: That is only 22.4% plate disapation!!!!!! What the hell were they thinking? No wonder the **** thing sounded so fuzzy and crappy. (to me anyway) Nothing wrong if you like the way that sounds of course. I have a buddy that I set amps for and he likes a more fuzzy sound so I set him up cold. I do love a true and good sound but I will set someones sound up like THEY like it. I'm not to much of a gear snob. ;)

jaredrutledge said:
i'm not completely familiar with some of these terms - are you saying you're running 6l6's in your recto, but you've got it set to el34 bias? so it makes the 6l6's run hotter?

I am also confused.... is that safe for the amp/tubes?

123thefirst said:
StratTone - when you do that do you get less of a "brown" sound effect on Spongy?

It just takes all the crossover distortion out. It still sounds like a Mesa sounds but MUCH better. No more flubbyness.

jaredrutledge said:
i'm not completely familiar with some of these terms - are you saying you're running 6l6's in your recto, but you've got it set to el34 bias? so it makes the 6l6's run hotter?

Yup it isn't something I would reccomend to anyone unless you have a biasrite to monitor your bias. You for sure don't want to go to hot.

theaero said:
jaredrutledge said:

I am also confused.... is that safe for the amp/tubes?

It is safe if your don't go to hot. Not something to just "try".

Latest posts

Back