OK, I took the Mark V plunge...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GIG4FUN said:
Noonoo said:

good choice :wink:

The ones who purchased combo's don't seem as happy as those who bought heads in my view.

I really don't understand why that is yet, my combo isn't here.

I'm using it as a combo at home and with a 4x12 stilletto cab everywhere else, that should make quite a difference.

GIG4FUN said:
Noonoo said:

good choice :wink:

The ones who purchased combo's don't seem as happy as those who bought heads in my view.

I went the other way. Bought the head, was not happy....got the combo and greatly prefer it.

I went with the combo and am very, very happy. As the speaker breaks in, I'm getting smoother tones. I think that this is an excellent overall design. I can carry it, it's significantly loud, almost an infinite choice of tones, What's not to like?

hippdogs said:
I went with the combo and am very, very happy. As the speaker breaks in, I'm getting smoother tones. I think that this is an excellent overall design. I can carry it, it's significantly loud, almost an infinite choice of tones, What's not to like?

Some people just don't like open back cab tones and are turned off by the new speaker's break-in time.

I would get a head, like Noonoo, if I were to get one... I'm a closed back cab fan. :)

MusicManJP6 said:
hippdogs said:

Some people just don't like open back cab tones and are turned off by the new speaker's break-in time.

I would get a head, like Noonoo, if I were to get one... I'm a closed back cab fan. :)

why doesn't mesa pre-breakin the speakers so less unhappy customers? i heard diamond does that.

rabies said:
MusicManJP6 said:
hippdogs said:

why doesn't mesa pre-breakin the speakers so less unhappy customers? i heard diamond does that.

It should at least be an option even if it cost a little extra because there are some people on the other end of the spectrum that enjoy hearing the 'transformation' and consider it one of the perks of owning a new amp/cab.

MusicManJP6 said:
It should at least be an option even if it cost a little extra because there are some people on the other end of the spectrum that enjoy hearing the 'transformation' and consider it one of the perks of owning a new amp/cab.

Agreed, the thing is some people (including myself) don't gig, so to get a new speaker to break in would take awhile, and most people would write off the amp immediately for having speakers that don't bring out the potential of the amp. I don't think most reach the volume to break in the speaker properly overtime. Not sure how long it would take to break in a speaker running at gig volumes regularly compared to bedroom volumes over time, anyone know? I know I have a few new cabs that aren't even broken in yet and sounds like poop compared to one of my older cabs that has been trhough abuse of louder volumes.

PeeMonkey said:
MusicManJP6 said:

Agreed, the thing is some people (including myself) don't gig, so to get a new speaker to break in would take awhile, and most people would write off the amp immediately for having speakers that don't bring out the potential of the amp. I don't think most reach the volume to break in the speaker properly overtime. Not sure how long it would take to break in a speaker running at gig volumes regularly compared to bedroom volumes over time, anyone know? I know I have a few new cabs that aren't even broken in yet and sounds like poop compared to one of my older cabs that has been trhough abuse of louder volumes.

This may help.. How do I break in my speakers?

Important Note! Before breaking it in it's advisable to "warm up" the speaker gently for a few minutes with low-level playing or background hum.

Break in a speaker with a fat, clean tone: turn up the power amp volume to full, and control the level with the preamp gain. Use a level that will be quite loud, but not painful in a normal size room.

Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for 10-15 minutes using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing. This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it 95% of the way to tonal perfection in the shortest time.
:wink:

I read somewhere that Matchless acid washes all of their speakers to break them in before they are shipped.

bdunagan said:
I read somewhere that Matchless acid washes all of their speakers to break them in before they are shipped.

That was back in the 80s, and it was only their jeans... :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Latest posts

Back