OK...I just became an official "Boogie" amp owner!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webe123

Reaction score
I have some questions about the Mesa Boogie Lonestar classic (50/100 watt) I just bought on ebay.

Here is a link to the amp itself

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150283470383&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=005

And a TC Electronics NOVA system is what I will be using for effects

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270264607231&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017

And I will have a Ernie Ball Volume pedal to control the volume

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280256283049&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018

And this guitar is one I recently purchased and is fast becoming my No. 1 guitar (PRS Private Stock Modern eagle Matteo blue)(Just click on the picture to see more pictures of it.)

http://168.144.173.112/p-150-sold-paul-reed-smith-modern-eagle-matteo-blue-private-stock-quilt-super-rare.aspx

I play in church exclusively and was wondering what kind of attenuator I may need, because 50 watts is loud. But I bought the amp because we also play outdoors sometimes and this thing looks like it will rock!

So will I need an attenuator and if so, which kind? Marshall power brake? Hot plate? What wattage?

The amp does have a Master Volume, but if cranked tube tone is what you are looking for exclusively then a hotplate would be fine.

Congrats and welcome aboard!!

+1 master volume// if you still need an antenuator the weber mass lite is cheap$160 and really good. If money is no object, the Ultimate Attenuator is a different kind of attenuator that sounds fantastic (on youtube, I don't own it I have a Weber Mass ) IMHO you won't need an attenuator. Have fun, great stuff you have.

Thanks for the posts and suggestions. I will try the amp without the attinuator first at 50 watts, then if I need one I will get a good attinuator.

i would definitely spend a lot witht he amp and maybe a show or two before jumping into the realm of attenuators. not because i dont like them but you may find you dont need it. i had a hotplate for a short time and found i just didnt need it as much as i thought so i returned it.

BTW, that is a fantastic looking guitar. i just bought my first prs and im absolutely stunned with the workmanship and the tone. your gonna have fun with your new setup.

jdurso said:
i would definitely spend a lot witht he amp and maybe a show or two before jumping into the realm of attenuators. not because i dont like them but you may find you dont need it. i had a hotplate for a short time and found i just didnt need it as much as i thought so i returned it.

BTW, that is a fantastic looking guitar. i just bought my first prs and im absolutely stunned with the workmanship and the tone. your gonna have fun with your new setup.

Thanks. The Modern Eagle is my dream guitar I bought with a settlement from some land I sold.

I already have a PRS Mcarty Soapbar that I love,but this modern eagle caught my eye and I wanted to get a decent tube amp for it...I am currently playing through a Line 6 Vetta II, not really a bad amp, but absolutely not a tube amp either.

And I needed some decent effects and have heard good things about TC Electronics...so I decided to get the NOVA system...which is a G system with true analog distortion added.

webe123 said:
jdurso said:

Thanks. The Modern Eagle is my dream guitar I bought with a settlement from some land I sold.

I already have a PRS Mcarty Soapbar that I love,but this modern eagle caught my eye and I wanted to get a decent tube amp for it...I am currently playing through a Line 6 Vetta II, not really a bad amp, but absolutely not a tube amp either.

And I needed some decent effects and have heard good things about TC Electronics...so I decided to get the NOVA system...which is a G system with true analog distortion added.

i love prs... my McBrazz sounds so good through the roadster. TC also makes some great fx. i just bought the M2000 and i love it. Mesa+PRS+TC= awesome

jamme61 said:
+1 on PRS, I have a PRS Mcsoapie with 3 p-90's, I l ove it.

Yeah my other PRS is a PRS Mcarty mcsoap 2001 (two pickups) all mahagony....and it holds it's own even after putting down the modern eagle and picking the Mcarty up!

I will never sell that guitar.

you dont need a Hot Plate you need the 100/50/10 watt model....and use the 10W in church. I use the 10W in slamm clubs and it's grrrrrrrreat

webe123 said:
jamme61 said:

Yeah my other PRS is a PRS Mcarty mcsoap 2001 (two pickups) all mahagony....and it holds it's own even after putting down the modern eagle and picking the Mcarty up!

The Modern Eagle looks fantastic. You have to sell land to get it? Wonder how much one of those goes for these day? I'll be too scare to take it to gigs. You will not need an atenuator with the master volume if what you want is to control the volume. Now if you want to get the power tube saturation at low level then you'll need one. That's why the 10w mode is handy and worth it to me.

webe123 said:
jamme61 said:

The Modern Eagle looks fantastic. You have to sell land to get it? Wonder how much one of those goes for these day? I'll be too scare to take it to gigs. You will not need an atenuator with the master volume if what you want is to control the volume. Now if you want to get the power tube saturation at low level then you'll need one. That's why the 10w mode is handy and worth it to me.

If you like the Ultimate Attenuator, consider buying it direct from Ho's Electronics in Vancouver. The Ultimate Attenuator is the same thing, purchased from Ho, re-packaged and marked up ~20%.

creekhed said:
you dont need a Hot Plate you need the 100/50/10 watt model....and use the 10W in church. I use the 10W in slamm clubs and it's grrrrrrrreat

Dude, I have ALREADY BOUGHT a boogie lonestar! Except THIS Lonestar, is the 50/100 watt option.

I am not going to go out and buy a new boogie amp just to have a 10 watt version.

If I need to power down I will get an attinuator, that is what they are for.

Latest posts

Back