OK Dont Shoot Me For Asking But....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do not be ashamed of using a pedal in front of your amp. I use the modded Boss OD-1 in front of my Mark I. With a 12AT7 in V1, I am able to get some f'n EVIL tones. By lowering the gain in V1, I can set the level wide open on the pedal and set the drive to taste. My amp has the effects loop mod like the Mk IIB with the "post FX level" knob on the rear. It acts like the output level knob on the MkIV. This setup has dropped many of "gain freaks" to the floor. And when I want a blues sound, I switch off the pedal and the gain boost with the under chassis footswitch, crank the preamp volumes up, and work the volume pot on my guitar. It gets a great vintage blues sound this way with my 'Paul (Think early ZZ Top).

JOEY B. said:
Do not be ashamed of using a pedal in front of your amp. I use the modded Boss OD-1 in front of my Mark I. With a 12AT7 in V1, I am able to get some f'n EVIL tones. By lowering the gain in V1, I can set the level wide open on the pedal and set the drive to taste. My amp has the effects loop mod like the Mk IIB with the "post FX level" knob on the rear. It acts like the output level knob on the MkIV. This setup has dropped many of "gain freaks" to the floor. And when I want a blues sound, I switch off the pedal and the gain boost with the under chassis footswitch, crank the preamp volumes up, and work the volume pot on my guitar. It gets a great vintage blues sound this way with my 'Paul (Think early ZZ Top).

It's Franken-'steen'

Sounds cool!

- dstefani

Thanks guys!

Trust me, I'm not ashamed to do anything that sounds good! I know i'm not the first person to use an overdrive in front of an amp. Sometimes I use the TS sometimes I use the SD-1 and sometimes I dont use either. It just depends on the song.

As far as RR tone goes I think I've got something usable using the modern channel and the SD-1. I'll know better tomorrow at practice when I can turn it up a few more notches and tweek it some more. You know the drill.

Thanks again everyone for the help, tips and suggestions it's been a big help!!!

This roadster is a new kind of beast for me to get used to but I'm gettin' there! It should be gig ready by Friday!!!!

Speaking of the TS9-I'm having a custom tele built with the guts of a TS9 put inside with a battery in back and the knobs in front-an on board overdrive so I can tweak the knobs on the fly! Oh yes, that will be ALOT of fun. :twisted:

ive just built a mxr distortion+ clone using the byoc kits. its sounding wicked in front of the clean channel of my stiletto. id reccomend this one for some ozzy stuff. its alot different to other distortions and ods ive used. theres nothing subtle about it. just a pure well balanced distortion

I actually picked up a used MXR Distortion+ last night at a local shop. Honestly though I didn't have much luck with it on a clean channel but then again I didn't have a lot of time to play around with it.

What kind of settings are you using when boosting with a distortion box as opposed to an overdrive? I've got my overdrives working pretty well but they're just boosting the signal a little bit and most of the gain/drive is coming from the amp. If you want the distortion from the stomp box to be the main driver I would assume the channel gain would be pretty low?

If you've got any tips on this I'd like to hear them so I can experiment some more tonight after work.

I'm running channel 3 Vintage, gain set about 1:00. With the gain set this low it gets jaw dropping crunch. Any higher and it starts to get fuzzy. Call me what you will, the OD808 just gives it more of a sustain boost and better low end articulation. I personally like the mid boost especially playing in a band situation where I find the roadster to be a tad on the dark side...been playing for nearly 20 years now and I've never been as satisfied with my setup as I am now.

If you want the distortion from the stomp box to be the main driver I would assume the channel gain would be pretty low?

spot on there.youve really got to let the distortion + do most of the work. i set it almost on full with just a bit of gain on the amps clean channel. you can dial the amps gain up a bit to suit your taste. i found that the dist+ gets fairly muddy when you roll its gain control down.

its more of a standalone thing, it sounds crap with the amp running high gain and the pedal at low gain as do alot of distortions.i use the pedal for its distortion not as a boost.

Latest posts

Back