Ohm question- two ext. cabs with combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

57LPRI

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
This is my first post. I have two 3/4 back 1-12 Mesa cabs
(8 ohm, of course). If I changed the speakers to 16 ohm C90s
could I daisy-chain them for a total of 8 ohms and use them with
the 8 ohm speaker in my Stiletto Ace, plugging the combo and
ext. speaker(s) into the 4 ohm connections?
I've been using it with one ext. cab, but the extra cab is
gathering dust. By the way, I really like the sound of the C90s
with the Stiletto. Thanks for your help.

57LPRI said:
Hi everyone,
This is my first post. I have two 3/4 back 1-12 Mesa cabs
(8 ohm, of course). If I changed the speakers to 16 ohm C90s
could I daisy-chain them for a total of 8 ohms and use them with
the 8 ohm speaker in my Stiletto Ace, plugging the combo and
ext. speaker(s) into the 4 ohm connections?
I've been using it with one ext. cab, but the extra cab is
gathering dust. By the way, I really like the sound of the C90s
with the Stiletto. Thanks for your help.

Just plug both of your 3/4 back cabs into each of the 4 ohm jacks and DO NOT PLUG IN YOUR COMBO SPEAKER. Also, make sure you use speaker cable (I never knew about that until I got my first Mesa). Your two cabs will make a 4 ohm load - remember two 8 ohm cabs add up to 4 ohms. If you plugged the combo speaker in at the same time as the cabs you would eventually ruin your amp.

Keep rockin.

Bobby

If you changed your ext cabs to 16's, you could daisy chain them to become 8 and then run that and your internal 8 all out of the 4 ohm jacks. So the answer to your question is yes.

I guess you could do it but why?

Why go through all of the effort to buy two more speakers, install them and daisy chain them just to use one more speaker.

I have one 3/4 back cab that I used to run with a Mark IV head and it sounded great. Two would most likely be even better, but to add the combo speaker as well? Unnecessary.

If you really want to move more air just get a used 4x12. Or get a stereo power amp and rack effects unit, use your combo speaker as the dry and get one of those Suhr line boxes to run to the effects then to the stereo power amp and your 2 cabs. w/d/w At least that accomplishes something worth the effort.

Latest posts

Back