OFFICIAL MARK V TONE SETTINGS THREAD

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are my settings, I like them a fair bit, other than Ch.2 which I play around with alot.
Image068.jpg

My channel 3 is my favorite though, but my volume is set alot lower than usual as I was playing at night, and excuse the crappy pic as well it was taken on my camera phone, as my camera has flat batterys.

Been playing around with channel 3 quite a bit over the last few days and, while I like all three modes, I'm really digging the Extreme mode. The low frequencies have a 'chewy' texture. I'll post my current ch3 settings tomorrow morning.

I was playing in Extreme mode today with these settings, in Pentode with reverb at 9 o'clock. I can't believe how loud it sounded.
Image070.jpg

Does anyone else switch their effects loop to on to play at quieter volumes when learning things? I have noticed that this is an easy way to get the volume down to manageable levels for playing at night.

bnelly428 said:
I have my Mark V and i love it.
I use a TC electronics nova system in the loop and when the loop is plugged in I lose a ton of volume. Is this normal or is it an input level issue on my pedal? Any help would be great!
B

I also have a Nova System in my Mark V combo loop. It's been a month, so it's probably too late - but goes.

The trick for any setup like this is to find unity gain. You want to make sure that the volume level is the same whether the loop is off or on - which is where the term unity comes in. The thing is, we have 9 different volume controls that are affecting the signal path even before it hits the effects return - 3x channel gain 3x channel master, 1xeffects send level, 1x Nova System input and 1x Nova System output.
1) Set your channels up how you want. The key here is that the gain/master pairs for each channel are going to have to stay wherever you set them... more on this later, but this is taking gare of the first user 6 controllable levels.
2) Set the loop send to the mid-notch. 2 more control to go.
3) Then, turn off all effects in on the Nova and navigate to the input level in the menu. Set your guitar to the loudest pickup combination andbang away at it with your picking hand while using your other hand to adjust the input gain on the Nova. If you see an "O" on the screen that means you've clipped, and you should set it lower. You should never have any clipping on the Nova's input - it sounds really bad.
4) the final step - set the Nova's output to unity gain. As in the last step, hammer away on the guitar but this time you're setting the Nova System's output level in the "levels" menu. The trick to this is to repeatedly turn the Mark V's effects loop on and off, all the while listening to hear them line up at the same volume. One thing I like to do hear when I think I'm done - keep turning the loop on and off without looking at it. Try to get to the point where you don't even know whether it's on or off and listen a little harder to see if you can hear a difference. Once you can't, you're all done - Happy Unity Gain!

Note that this is one of the most important aspects of your setup! At this point, you're going to have to retweak your compressor settings and drive settings, as they're probably going to be waaay off. Finally, you should redo this every time you change your rig around - i.e., putting it in front of the loop, adding pedals to the board - even when you change your preamp tones on the Mark V - because that will change the whole balance of sound hitting the input of the Nova System.

Hope this helps,
Dave

Go to Petrucci's current site and click gear and there you will see three mark v heads in his rack!

Petrucci's actual settings copied from a pic I took at his clinic in Perth last saturday
Image072.jpg

Image071.jpg

But the channel 1 switch settings are wrong as he was playing in clean mode, I just forgot to alter them as I was hurrying to post this up.

Thanks, Mauler! I couldn't quite make out those settings in the pic you posted on the JP forum. I'll have to try these settings!!!

No worrys mate, just remember he was playing in clean not on tweed or whatever I was messing around in. And I can't handle these volumes at home in my small room, it is way too loud for me, but it sounds unreal in a larger room.

what about lamb of god? I know they have a pic up on mesa's site but i cant fully see what they are. I know willies useing the "v" and marks useing the "w" shapes on the eq.

Mauler said:
Petrucci's actual settings copied from a pic I took at his clinic in Perth last saturday
Image072.jpg

Image071.jpg

But the channel 1 switch settings are wrong as he was playing in clean mode, I just forgot to alter them as I was hurrying to post this up.
Tried these settings. I love john's tone, but for my set up I didn't like them at all. Just my 2 pennies.

Found out that John Scofield uses the EQ on his Mark III as follows

1st Slider Boost approx. 2/3
2nd Slider Boost approx. 1/3
3rd Slider Neutral
4th Slider Scooped 1/3
5th Slider Scooped 2/3

Tried the settings on my Mark V´s Ch. 1 with my ES 335, Bridge Pickup and Tone Pot at approx. 2, 1x12 Boogie Cab w/EVM 12 L
Found that to be pretty close to the Sco-Sound...

CRUNCH Mode (2nd channel)
45W with tube rectifier for rehearsals/10W for recording/90W for gigs in bigger venues
EQ on - preset DEPTH: 11:00h
LOOP on
LOOP SEND LEVEL: 7:00h
VARIAC power

Tung Sol 12AX7 in the first three gain stages (V1,V2,V3)
Mesa Boogie EL34 in the poweramp.
2x12 Rectifier Vertical Cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30 speakers

further equipment used:
- TC Electronic G-System
- Lehle Sunday Driver

Jacko123 said:
Very interesting. I see that most settings have the bass set at < 10:00.

best way to go to get i say the tightest distortion. Doesnt sound flubby, or too over the top i love the geq for bringing freq. back into the loop.

Has anyone been able to get a good classic rock tone out of the Ch 2. Edge setting? I’ve tried tweaking this mode a lot and like how the gain sounds between 11-1 o’clock but can’t seem to get a good balance out of the tone stack. With the treble too low it sounds like there’s a blanket over the amp; set too high and it’s fizzy. I’m playing with a Les Paul Traditional with ’57 Classic pickups. I'm looking for a good lower gain classic Marshall or Hi-Watt sound out of this mode. The Crunch mode is much easier to dial in but has more gain. Thanks.

LesMesa said:
Has anyone been able to get a good classic rock tone out of the Ch 2. Edge setting? I’ve tried tweaking this mode a lot and like how the gain sounds between 11-1 o’clock but can’t seem to get a good balance out of the tone stack. With the treble too low it sounds like there’s a blanket over the amp; set too high and it’s fizzy. I’m playing with a Les Paul Traditional with ’57 Classic pickups. I'm looking for a good lower gain classic Marshall or Hi-Watt sound out of this mode. The Crunch mode is much easier to dial in but has more gain. Thanks.

Gain 12:00 (straight up)
Master 10:00
Presence 12:00
Treble 11:30
Mid 2:00
Bass 10:00
EQ off

45w mode
tube rectifier

I'm getting no fizz at all set up like this, plenty of high-end

DaveDaveDave said:
bnelly428 said:
I have my Mark V and i love it.
I use a TC electronics nova system in the loop and when the loop is plugged in I lose a ton of volume. Is this normal or is it an input level issue on my pedal? Any help would be great!
B

I also have a Nova System in my Mark V combo loop. It's been a month, so it's probably too late - but goes.

The trick for any setup like this is to find unity gain. You want to make sure that the volume level is the same whether the loop is off or on - which is where the term unity comes in. The thing is, we have 9 different volume controls that are affecting the signal path even before it hits the effects return - 3x channel gain 3x channel master, 1xeffects send level, 1x Nova System input and 1x Nova System output.
1) Set your channels up how you want. The key here is that the gain/master pairs for each channel are going to have to stay wherever you set them... more on this later, but this is taking gare of the first user 6 controllable levels.
2) Set the loop send to the mid-notch. 2 more control to go.
3) Then, turn off all effects in on the Nova and navigate to the input level in the menu. Set your guitar to the loudest pickup combination andbang away at it with your picking hand while using your other hand to adjust the input gain on the Nova. If you see an "O" on the screen that means you've clipped, and you should set it lower. You should never have any clipping on the Nova's input - it sounds really bad.
4) the final step - set the Nova's output to unity gain. As in the last step, hammer away on the guitar but this time you're setting the Nova System's output level in the "levels" menu. The trick to this is to repeatedly turn the Mark V's effects loop on and off, all the while listening to hear them line up at the same volume. One thing I like to do hear when I think I'm done - keep turning the loop on and off without looking at it. Try to get to the point where you don't even know whether it's on or off and listen a little harder to see if you can hear a difference. Once you can't, you're all done - Happy Unity Gain!

Note that this is one of the most important aspects of your setup! At this point, you're going to have to retweak your compressor settings and drive settings, as they're probably going to be waaay off. Finally, you should redo this every time you change your rig around - i.e., putting it in front of the loop, adding pedals to the board - even when you change your preamp tones on the Mark V - because that will change the whole balance of sound hitting the input of the Nova System.

Hope this helps,
Dave

One more important thing about the nova system is that further into the level menu, you need to go into the "advanced" menu and then in the "output range" select either 2dbu, 8dbu, 14dbu(where I have mine set) or 20dbu. When I got my Nova system this was set lower (either 2dbu or 8dbu - can't remember now) and I was losing alot of volume, to the point where I was ready to buy a more powerful amp (was using the LSS at the time). I had realized that when I plugged directly into the amp I had all the volume I needed, when I went through the Nova System there was a serious drop in volume. I found when I set the nova system to 14dbu in the output range, I had the same volume as going direct into the amp. I still wound up getting the mark V but for different reasons. I should mention that I was using the nova system in front of the amp, but it's still something to check... I also know that this is way late, but someone may find it helpful.

Hello Everyone :), i was hoping someone could help me out with a good master of puppets tone. any help is greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back