OD to use with a Road King

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b0nkersx

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the board, but I've lurked for a while. I have a Road King 2 and a recto 4x12 cab, and was looking into various overdrives to tighten up the high gain settings. I've done a lot of research, and I'm down to a few pedals that I've been eyeballing pretty heavily.

Fulltone OCD
Maxon OD808
Digitech Hardwire CM-2 (Tubescreamer clone with treble/bass knob and a two way mode switch)
Xotic BB Preamp

I'd love to hear second opinions or other suggestions. I'm also in the market for a good EQ. I've heard good things about the MXR 10 band, but some bad things about its bypass. Part of me wants to believe that it's people going ballistic over anything that isn't true bypass, but if I'm going to fork out the bucks for it, I want to be as sure as I can about it first.

KH Guitar Freak said:
I would suggest trying those Keeley TS9DX Flexi 4X2s out...

How do those work as a boost? More low end is what I'm trying to avoid. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the maxon so far.

From the list you gave us get the Maxon. It's probably the best production tube screamer out now. It will give you a boost in your mids and it will tighten up the bass which is what you want since you said you don't want more bass.

If you want to get something very cheap that will tighten up your amp check out the dod yjm 308. It has a bit of a bass roll off and slight treble boost. I think it sounds terrible as a stand alone overdrive but as a boost it sounds really great and American Musical Supply is selling them for $29. They aren't cheaply made and can be easily modified.

How is the OD 808 on a clean channel(Roadster). Does it work well to give a little grit (light-medium gain tones) or is it better off used as a clean boost?

I dont prefer the OD808 as a true dirt box on a clean channel because of the midrange bump, but if you keep down the tone (I keep it at 9:00), it can add a little hair. It is a very transparent OD, that is why it excells as a boost.

b0nkersx said:
KH Guitar Freak said:
I would suggest trying those Keeley TS9DX Flexi 4X2s out...

How do those work as a boost? More low end is what I'm trying to avoid. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the maxon so far.

Oh, the Keeley actually get rid of the low end loss...

Dont quote me on this, but.......I think the Maxon 808 may be the same as a Tube Screamer TS9. (edit below)

If that is so, then you might consider getting a TS9 and doing the Allums mod to it. Waaaay more affordable than any Keeley pedal, and sounds just as awesome.

If all you need is a clean boost going in or in the loop (series loop) then BBE Boosta Grande is very transparent. A Barber Tone Press is transparent, and gives you clean sustain. I've not yet found any other clean booster as quiet or as uncolored as the BBE. You can crank it full boost and still not add any noise at all. I'm kinda sorry I let go of the one I had.

I looked at Allums site, it's the Maxon OD9 that he is selling the kit for, I believe it's the same kit as the TS9. I guess there is a TS808, maybe that's what I was thinking of.....

soundchaser59 said:
Dont quote me on this, but.......I think the Maxon 808 may be the same as a Tube Screamer TS9. (edit below)

If that is so, then you might consider getting a TS9 and doing the Allums mod to it. Waaaay more affordable than any Keeley pedal, and sounds just as awesome.

If all you need is a clean boost going in or in the loop (series loop) then BBE Boosta Grande is very transparent. A Barber Tone Press is transparent, and gives you clean sustain. I've not yet found any other clean booster as quiet or as uncolored as the BBE. You can crank it full boost and still not add any noise at all. I'm kinda sorry I let go of the one I had.

I looked at Allums site, it's the Maxon OD9 that he is selling the kit for, I believe it's the same kit as the TS9. I guess there is a TS808, maybe that's what I was thinking of.....

Well.. Transparency isn't necessarily what I'm after either. A lot of people on the board who use Maxon 808s say that it improved their tone as a by-product of not being transparent. I'm not certain I'm looking to mod any pedals either, because most of the mods add lows, which isn't what I'm after either. I'm pretty sure I'm going to give the Maxon a whirl, and I may try out other things eventually.

Latest posts

Back