OD pedal usage?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosajwp

Reaction score
Those of you who use an OD with your Boogie,

When you use the pedal with either your clean or drive channel, do you have the pedal set for more of a volume boost, or do you have some drive thrown in as well?

I use it for more gain, I know some here would think that is a sin :twisted:

but I have a Tubescreamer TS808, and use the gain on the pedal about 11-12:00 position, and gain on the dual rec to about 1:00ish.

i use it only for smoothening the sound on solos, but drive settings is never above 12 o'clock

I'm trying to figure this one out myself since I just got my rectoverb last week. I currently have a TS-type overdrive (Toadworks DR III) and a BYOC Tribooster (buildyourownclone.com) and a TS808.

My options is to either setup channel 2 heavy or slightly dirty. If I set it up heavy, then I'll use the OD on the channel 1 (clean). If it's slightly overdriven, then I would use the Tribooster to push the amp into overdrive.

Tonewise, I like the Tribooster for getting authentic overdriven tones. It has a selector for germanium, linear power, and mosfet boosts - each of which have a distinctive tone. The only work around is that I need to tap two pedals in order to get there. Also the Tribooster will get me some cool tones, but overall it still sounds very Recto-ish.

I have my Keeley SD-1 set as a clean boost:

Level: 12:00
Tone: 1:30
Drive: 6:30 (0)

It just helps to smooth out the lead a bit!

I use a Radial Tonebone Classic, and a Keeley Modded TS-808 Reissue into the front end of my Studio Pre/Simul 2:90 rig set on clean, and it sounds GREAT! I'm using the pedals for all distortion tones, and I don't use the overdrive channel on the preamp anymore.

I use both an Ibanez SD9 and a SM9 in my chain for Gain, Boost, and Lead. I use em both at once, with the SD9 before the SM9 for a bright but balanced and Bass heavy distortion. Not a lot of mud either....

when i had a mark III i used a tubescreamer with the lead channel to make up for the sharing of gain between all the channels. that way i could keep my clean channel very clean and still have a saturated lead tone with the pedal + moderate gain on the lead channel

I have both a TS-10 tubescreamer and a Carl Martin Hot Drive N Boost pedal.

Before I bought the Carl Martin pedal I used the TS-10 as volume boost only (Level maxed & Drive at 0)

Now that I have the Carl Martin pedal it has a seperate footswitchable clean boost function. I use the clean boost to pump up clean leads when using the clean boogie channel and I use it to boost leads in the lead channel.

I have also cleaned up my lead tone on the boogie and I am now using the Carl Martin pedal to add dirt (with the distortion switch). I can switch to the boogie lead channel and get a punched up lead tone. I can add the Carl Martin distortion to it to give it hair and I can also kick in the boost button to go a bit over the top. For now, I am mostly using the TS-10 as an off switch to allow me to tune silently but sometimes I also use it for a different distortion flavor.

Boss SD-1 .. Vol 100% - Tone45% - Drive 5-10% ..

I use it to beef up, and tighten high gain channels. I have a Keeley SD-1 too, but it retains all the bass, so it does not "tighten" up the bass like the stock one. :(

Latest posts

Back