OD for the front end of the ED

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cragginshred

Reaction score
After last weekends demo I ordered an ED head today!! So, this post is regarding a boost/OD of choice to punch the front end of this amp. Many agree this amp does not need more drive to push the ED however, you still need a boost which the ED's foot controller does not feature. The consensus is the bb pre (which is excellent with the stiletto) is too similar to the ED and another pedal of equal transparency is out there waiting to be discovered. This is where you all fellow Mesa/tone fiends come in.

So a/bing the maxon with the bb you took the maxon hands dow? could you elaborate on the differences? Also were you able to get a potential vol boost as well as an increase in sustain and gain with the maxon?

Those 2 are completely different animals- the BB is very much like the gain channels of the ED, but a little more compressed- too much to run with the ED IMHO- but the pedal has more head room than th maxon and far more capability with EQ.
The maxon is more neutral sounding, with a bit of midss that compliments the ED on both gain channels (drive at 9 oclock- level at 3 o'clock). Adds a killer layer of gain that doesn't take over your core tone.
My .02$

How about boosting the ED, with more ED sound?

I'm planning on using this boost, provided I decide on an ED in the first place. It's that or a Deuce II.

http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/mk423

This pedal works well with other heads I've used, either out front for more gain, or in the loop as a volume boost for solos.

I also own this pedal, and I'm curious how it would sound, in lieu of a Maxon TS.

http://www.mieffects.com/cbinbrief.htm

I have had both the RC and the Fulldrive. the Fulldrive was a weak boost that colored my existing tone (then a lonestar with an OCD) a 2nd OCD was the ticket then. The RC is a fully transparent fat clean boost of either an existing OD tone (good for lead boost) or a clean boost similar but different to a compressor for say some chicken picken. The RC does have a gain knob, but this is more for the strength of the clean boost you want. Although I'm sure you can, I have never heard of anyone using the RC for more drive beyond say more sustain.

The OCD is working great for me in front of any (all) of the ElectraDyne's 3 channels. I've got it dialed-in so well that I really have 6 available levels of gain available at my feet. Though I'm sure there are many great overdrives with which you can do this.

I'm planning on using this boost, provided I decide on an ED in the first place. It's that or a Deuce II.

OK- I am pretty sure the Mark 4:23 is going on my board....this is EXACTLY what the ED needs, and it looks super cool...
Thanks for posting this- I am pretty sure this is the one...

FWIW- i went from a Roadster to Deuce II to the ED....dont miss the others much...they are fantastic amps, but the ED is the amp for me. Best amp I have ever owned, and I have been "chasing tone" for years...

Laskyman said:

OK- I am pretty sure the Mark 4:23 is going on my board....this is EXACTLY what the ED needs, and it looks super cool...
Thanks for posting this- I am pretty sure this is the one...

FWIW- i went from a Roadster to Deuce II to the ED....dont miss the others much...they are fantastic amps, but the ED is the amp for me. Best amp I have ever owned, and I have been "chasing tone" for years...

I recommend it. It's a GREAT clean boost. It works great in front, as it has so much boosting power on hand it will drive a clean amp to distort. No coloration AT ALL. Works good in the loop too. The more distorted the amp is, the less boost you need for solos in the loop.

the verdict is in, the MAXON OD 808 Rocks! 130$ no tax or shipping to my door in 24hours via zzounds.com! A/B'd it with the bb pre using my stiletto Deuce II with the strat and MM Petrucci axe; the Maxon is fatter, smoother and easier to eq! Thanks for suggestion Laskyman! My ED head is scheduled to arrive this tuesday!!!!

I recently purchased an OCD and am very impressed with the excellent additional sounds that I get through the ED. Most specifically, to achieve a better "lead" sound in the low gain channel with all controls of the ED set in their "footswitchable friendly" regions. I also like the urgent crunch sound out of the clean mode and the added sustain that I am achieving in the high gain mode when engaging this great pedal!

Joey B....are you using the RC Booster directly into the amp or through the effects loop of the amp? I am interested in a clean boost to provide me with the "solo boost" feature of other Mesa amps that is not offered with the ED. The OCD doesn't achieve this for me.

Thanks in advance!

MBJunkie said:
Joey B....are you using the RC Booster directly into the amp or through the effects loop of the amp? I am interested in a clean boost to provide me with the "solo boost" feature of other Mesa amps that is not offered with the ED. The OCD doesn't achieve this for me.

Thanks in advance!

In the loop would be more like the other Mesa amps' solo function. But I would try it in front of the OCD as well as in betwen the OCD and the amp, just for the experimentation factor.

Thanks Joey!

I will do that if I can get my hands on an RC Booster....it seems they are in short supply.
The RC Booster is mainly a "clean boost" - correct? I don't need additional overdrive boost as I am in tonal heaven with the OCD in front of my ED! :)

Next on the agenda is to try my OCD in front of my MKV.

Believe it or not, but I'm using one of those $40 Electro-Harmonix "Linear Power Booster" pedals to hit the front end of my Electra-Dyne 1x12" combo. I have the amp setup for clean, great vintage crunch, hot rodded crunch, then high gain with the LPB1 on. I've only used the amp and this pedal at one gig so far, so it's kinda early to tell how long it will be around. But so far, this pedal rocks bigtime.

It doesn't have the mid hump like alot of TS style pedals. That's good, because I wanted to find a pedal that didn't add mids or roll off the low end. This pedal may even add a slight bit of lows and highs, but definitely not much mids and it really sounds like an extra gain stage being added to the amp, not a pedal.

Anyway, try it sometime. They say it's true bypass too.

Chris

Back