OD/Distortion pedal for Mesa Mark series type drive

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miracle Man

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first post here so be gentle :D

Here's the thing:
I really like the type of distortion of the Mesa Boogie Mark series amps. You know, lots of gain, but really smooth, without the buzzy sound... Is there a distortion pedal out there that sounds similar to the mark series? I know I'll never be able to get the exact same sound with a pedal but I can't afford a new amp right now.

Any suggestions would be great help!
Thanks in advance,

Miracle Man

I was about to say Proco Rat. I have one and I find that I can get similar sounds from it into my Marshall as I get from my Mark IV alone. This might be why James Hetfield took interest in Mesa amps. He used to run a Proco Rat into the Jose Arrendodo modified Marshall.

Yeah, I have one of those Rat pedals. But as good as it is for creamy leads, it sounds very fuzzy if I palm mute on the low strings. Are there any pedals out there that are similar to the Rat but less fuzzy?

Thanks guys

Miracle Man

IMO there is nothing better than the BB preamp. I use it in front of my MK IV for RHYT 1 and RHYT 2 alternate tones. My settings are Vol. 12:00, gain, 9:30-10:30, Bass and Treble on the center detents. Give it a shot....

That sound's great! How much gain does it have? The clips on their website don't really give me an ide of the gain availible. I want to use the pedal into a clean amp and get quite a lot of distortion. Not for metal, mostly hi-gain punk and rock. :D

Oh, and thanks for all the help so far! Great forum!

I agree with ursinus about the bb preamp,,,very nice but its better used as an overdrive I believe with a tube amps distortion. One pedal you can look into is the MI Audio Crunch Box. I was a bit shocked how well this pedal sounded through my rectoverb. Its a very warm,tube like, high gain marshall sounding pedal. I bought it simply to try for a marshall sound out of my boogie. A different sound to mess with. I have to say at first kind of funny,,,I was a bit upset because it did sound truelly great through my rectoverb. Different than me recs gain but just about as good in a different way. I couldnt believe a pedal could sound like that. Not at all solid state sounding to me. I almost returned it because I didnt want to wind up using it more than my amps gain. After a couple weeks I found out how I like using it the best and needless to say nothing really beats a boogies gain anyway... Just a different sound for me. The gain it offers is about even with the rectoverbs gain on vintage at 6 or 7.

It's the other way around for me: I have a few Marshalls (JCM800, 900, Super Lead) but I want to try something...let's say not as marshally sounding :D The Mark I really caught my attention because of it's smooth overdrive (marshalls have that agressive upper mid range) but it's soooo expensive :cry:

i use a TS9 and although the crunch sounds better, it's a little thin. then again, i really haven't had time to mess around with it yet.

i was surprised to see that the dude from chevelle now uses mark IV amps and a sans amp gt2 as an overdrive pedal. his tone is awesome. you might want to check that pedal out. they have a few audio samples on their website.

I've been playing Mark Series amps for close to 25 years and the only pedal I've heard that comes close is the Hermida Mosferatu.

I keep one in my guitar case at all times when I travel. I will always have close to that cherished sound when I sit in with buds out on the road.

Chris... 8)

Back