OD/Dist/Fuzz/Boost pedals used by Studio .22 players??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Anthony

Reaction score
I have a Studio .22+, EQ version with the gain mod and the MC-90 speaker. Recent servicing has made this amp really sparkle, and the gain channel is finally usable at any level! I'm curious what some of you who use both channels do about additional overdrive, fuzz, distortion or boost. I have Keeley-modded TS10 and Blues Driver, Boss GE-7 EQ, EHX Big Muff and am interested in other flavors of the OD, etc. kind to stack or pair with the .22's gain mode. Curious what some of you use and like. Not an extreme metal person-more into creamy and classic tones of various kinds as well as the occasional fuzzy garage sound, and play Strat, 335 and Jazzmaster guitars.

Can't help you on this question, Bob, just saying hi to another Studio 22+ enthusiast. Mine has no EQ.

I'm an old school player, and the overdrive in the amp is more than enough for me, don't use any pedals, except a Boss GE-7 in the FX loop, which I've rigged up so I can remotely turn it on/off. I only use it to take a little bit of high end treble off when in overdrive mode.

I love the amp to bits!

I have thought about adding an EQ to use as a boost. I haven't really had much luck using the send/ return for pedals but may try it. I use a fair amount of pedals but generally like playing straight up.

If you want remote control of your FX loop, check out the Grady Champion TGC-1 True bypass effects looper. Its cheap, and it works.

Hello Bob, Steve A. here. Just wondering where you had your amp serviced. I just got a Studio .22 w/eq last year, and I'd like to have it tweaked a bit. For overdrive, I've been using a Lovepedal Eternity Fuse. Like a tubescreamer with better eq control. I usually push it with an RAF Mirage compressor to get it singing. I've been getting into fuzz lately - a Skinpimp MKIII and Death By Audio Apocalypse. Hope you are well.
:)

I found a huge improvement in the sound of the chain when using the send/return-except it hates wah-wah pedals. But the extreme slapback that happens when you use a delay in the normal line with the drive channel engaged goes away, and the drive also sounds better. I've been using a Fulltone Plimsoul or a choice of Keeley-modded TS10 or BD2 pedals, but may try an EQ pedal to act as a boost with either clean or drive. Always, always get the gain mod.

i'm running 3 od/gain pedals at the moment in front of mine

wampler triple wreck (massive selection of high gain sounds!)
dytone ooh drive II (very transparent overdrive, retains amps tone, breaks up heavy but late, sounds kinda british!)
vintage 1984 ts9 jrc4558 chip (does what it says!)

massive possibilities right there.. for either single coil or humbucker guitars..

Hey Bob, I don't own a .22, but I do use a fair amount of pedals just because I love pedals. :D Check out the Barber Trifecta and the Barber Small Fry Burn Unit overdrive. Two very, very good pedals. Can't say enough good things about them but like any pedal, you have to check it out yourself. Good luck!

I like the way these pedals make your guitar so responsive.

I have a MK IV that sounds great with a Skreddy Screwdriver. That pedal goes from OD to fuzz. I keep it pretty low - like a gritty OD. Very tweakable. Sounds great on all 3 channels.

I have a Studio .22 (no EQ or Lead Master). For the past few years I've been using a Duncan Twin Tube Classic. I use it in the clean channel, not to boost the lead channel. I don't play with as much gain as I used to. While I still love the lead channel on my Studio .22, switching has never been practical on the non-plus models as we all know. The Twin Tube Classic is the only pedal I've found that can approach the singing quality of the Studio .22 lead channel.

This has become a good thread lately. I've been using a Boss GE7 EQ lately as well as the Plimsoul and Keeleyized BD2-may plug in a vintage Big Muff just for kicks. Without the onboard EQ or lead drive I'm not so sure I would use/keep the .22, would have long ago dropped extra cash for an older Deluxe Reverb.

Back