nyone tried a modern Mesa boogie 4x12 w/ different speakers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimAnsell

Reaction score
besides c90's or vintage 30s?

i'm thinking about putting the quad of g12-65's into my boogie 4x12 and selling my old marshall.
i want the boogie for the stereo capabilities, heavy duty castors, and better build quality, but my marshall sounds way better with the g12-65's.
so before i go through the trouble of swapping the speakers, has anyone done anything like this before?
or are they pretty much built around the v30 sound?

65's are awesome. I love mine in my Marshall cab. I don't have a recto cab yet so I couldn't tell you how it would sound in there. Let me know if you do it because I might have a recto cab on the way.

I'm using Celestion Century's in my 4x12 traditional.

i tried it tonight.
i took out the v30s and put in the 65s.
it sounds awesome.
alot like the marshall, just bigger and a tad louder.
i no longer get the harsh frequencies the v30's had.
its very smooth and balanced.

don't be afraid to experiment!

centuries vintages are nice too. i have a pair of those in my orange 2x12.
i think v30s sound better in some cabs than others. i like them in the boogie and orange 2x12's, but i'm not huge on them in 4x12's.
just a personal taste.

I went to see the DR package that I will be recieving last night. Turns out it is the Traditional slant with v30's. I am assuming that it won't be much improvement putting my 65's in the cab because the size difference between tradional and 1960 isn't much. I would have liked to hear the 65's in a standard Recto cab.

Back