Nova System Limited. Any problems With V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATR1

Reaction score
Interested in Nova system limited. Any suggestions?
Thx

As a Nova System owner, I can say it will work great. The Nova System effects are top-notch, as they come directly from the G-System. It's a cool unit. Personally, I don't think the "special" presets are worth paying for the limited version, though.

With all that being said, I am selling my Nova System because I just don't use enough of it's functionality. All I use it for is delay lately. My unit is flawless with no marks, scratches, dings, etc. Here's the classified posting if you're interested - http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=54867.

I'm ordering my Mark V and my Nova system tomorrow. Although I still don't know which 1x12 cab to buy any suggestions?

I've owned a nova sys before and sounds awesome. I have the g sys too and the nova comes very close to sounding like the g sys. I'd recommend it definitely. I'd agree with the LTD version, its definitely not worth the extra cash. TC should of just given all nova sys users the extra presets with the new update.

Paul

Thx. I really want the G-System but, there are so many extras you have to get to make work correctly. It adds up. I love my combo. I have had it for about 1 year. Still trying to get friendly channel 3, I am coming from a 5150 4x12 and actually like the tone after the bias mod. I run pretty clean as far as effects. Reverb only. I can't quite nail the high gain channel yet.
I thought with the limited it would have some extra features like the G system. Some kind of upgrade in components. Everyone on this site speaks highly of TC product matched with MKV.

ATR1 said:
Thx. I really want the G-System but, there are so many extras you have to get to make work correctly. It adds up. I love my combo. I have had it for about 1 year. Still trying to get friendly channel 3, I am coming from a 5150 4x12 and actually like the tone after the bias mod. I run pretty clean as far as effects. Reverb only. I can't quite nail the high gain channel yet.
I thought with the limited it would have some extra features like the G system. Some kind of upgrade in components. Everyone on this site speaks highly of TC product matched with MKV.

I'd agree TC stuff work really well with any boogie stuff. I'm using my g sys with my road king 2 at the mo but am buying the mark v next week after trying it. The nova is just for practice at home and for some small gigs. I'm gonna be programming it with a set of presets to use with Mark v thru the fx loop and then another set of presets using the novas drive settings. Much like the way pete thorn uses it when he takes his favourite amp head and nova to one off gigs he does. Makes sense to me. Check out the TC website there's loads of vids on there what sounds he uses.

If you worried about reverbs and delays etc Don't! they sound really excellent and pristine. You won't regret it I promise lol. The LTD nova doesn't have any new stuff apart from the artist presets and the paint job. I don't think its worth the extra money at all and I'm sure a lot of users would agree. I think TC should of just kept it the same price at least.

I just watched Thorn Vid. Very Cool. How will you be use the drive/dist side if you go threw the loop? I am sold on this unit.

The Nova System has two inputs: Line and Drive. The Drive input is used when you put the Nova System in front of your amp. This routes the signal through the analog drive section. The Line input bypasses the analog section and is used when you place the Nova System in your effects loop. Therefore, you have to choose which setup you prefer.

If you're sold on it, please buy mine. :)

ATR1 said:
I just watched Thorn Vid. Very Cool. How will you be use the drive/dist side if you go threw the loop? I am sold on this unit.

Sorry meant to say if I had to use another amp at a venue then i would use the drive on the nova and plug direct into the amp. If i was using the markv I'd just got thru the fx loop and use the mark v's tones.

Pete Thorn does have a good eye for gear and he gets really good sounds out of it. Watch the g sys vid he's done also its quite impressive what sounds he gets out of it.

I have been researching and if I understand correctly by going through the loop I would lose my
OD/DIST/COMP/NOISE GATE/ TUNER? Didn't I pay for these when I purchased this and now they are lost? I could use NG in loop. The tuner I would want up front for silent tuning? If this true will they be updating this system and splitting effects for in front(OD/DIST/COMP/TUNER) and the other effects through loop? I was interested in the G-System but I would need to purchase a lot more products to make work. Became to pricy. I was watching one of the videos and noticed he had a separate tuner. Was this because he was going through the loop?

Thx for your input

By going through the loop, you lose your Drive section, which is the distortion/overdrive. Since you have a Mark V, it's not the end of the world because channels 2 and 3 have you covered for dirty sounds. Everything else you mentioned would still be accessible. Even though the tuner wouldn't be first in the signal path, it would still tune fairly accurately if you are running a very clean sound into it.

Even if you only used it for delay, chorus, and reverb, it's still worth the money, as individual pedals would cost more than the Nova System. That's the reasoning I used when I bought mine.

I agree. What about compressor in the loop and note in front?
Thx for your feed back.

That's a personal preference. A lot of people like it in the loop, and some people don't. I personally don't use compressors, so I can't tell you either way...

Ok. Finally pull the trigger. Order Nova system and they threw in a Nova drive FREE. Yes Free. :D I am stoked and now I can run system in loop and put drive in front. I will have lots of questions for whoever has this unit with set up. From what I have been reading the nova should go well with MARK V. Thanks in advance for any advise.

So now that you have had this for awhile what do you think of it and how are you using it? I just bought one to use with my MKV combo but I have to say that I'm not overly impressed with it so far and I'm thinking of returning it. It sounds kind of harsh and the drive I'm not loving, I way prefer my tube screamer.

I currently use an M9 with an expression pedal and a few stomp boxes as well right into the front end (MXR EVH Phaser, SuperComp and the Tube Screamer and a PolyTune). Then I run an MXR NoiseGate in the loop to keep it all quiet. It's all mounted to a Gator board so it's very light to transport and super easy to connect. The M9 is about as easy as it gets to tweak settings but I have heard so much about the Nova System that I wanted to try it. Given that the Nova has better non-gain sounds I'm just not sure it's worth the hassle. Especially since we are talking about a clud gig system here and not for recording where you would likely notice the better quality effects.

Curious to hear everyone's feedback.

Happy New Year!!

i've been using the nova system almost exclusively in our gigs, either MK, MK3, and studio 22 plus amps all going through the loop. My experience have been great all around. The reverbs are transparent, delays are just lush, and the harmonizer sounds great! I don't care much for the chorus and flange effects though. Strange thing that i discovered was the compressor being engaged in the loop either through the MKV or MK3, thought the compressor sounded great through the loop once you achieve unity gain. Plus, the boost function is a very useful in my MK3 through the loop since i have the GEQ engaged all that time for that amp.

As for the drive input, didn't really care for the distortion on the nova system. I guess in a pinch, or a as a backup, it'll do its job for gigs, but for "feel", still prefer tube screamer, radial tone bone, or mesa v twin....

I have had my NS for a little while now. I have not spent a lot of time tweaking. I am pleased overall. I agree you need to find your tone first of all then add NS to the mix. Setting your input/output levels is tricky. I run NS thru loop and ND thru front with decimator very noisy if you don't have gate. I have not used the drive on NS at all yet. I do like the OD on the ND and is handy when I need to play a couple of songs with channel 1 and need a different tone or a little more hair. The V has all the dirt I need. I use ND when I am playing clean and need a little crunch on channel 1, or channel 2. Crunch setting w/eq is my fav but sometime I want a little more I use ND. Channel 3 is still tricky for me. I have not found the love yet I know I will in time. I updated my NS preset with LTD which is good but all these preset are clogging my machine. I think I will be dumping a bunch of them today and reload what I use. Bottom line is I do like the NS and think it is great buy for the price and specially when they throw in a free pedal.

Latest posts

Back