Not playing metal anymore, should I keep the recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave-o

Reaction score
I was playing in alt metal band for a bit, but not anymore (long story). I probably wont play that genre anymore, maybee some stp or soundgarden but who knows. I still play in a alt country rock band and Im not sure if I can coax those sounds out of my single recto. So the question is, would there be a better mesa to suit my needs? Maverick maybee?

dave-o said:
I was playing in alt metal band for a bit, but not anymore (long story). I probably wont play that genre anymore, maybee some stp or soundgarden but who knows. I still play in a alt country rock band and Im not sure if I can coax those sounds out of my single recto. So the question is, would there be a better mesa to suit my needs? Maverick maybee?

Try a Mark IV . By the way I owned a rect -o-verb and i never played metal . They do more than metal .

I agree that the Recto can cover more ground than people would think. I'd give it a whirl and see how it works out. If it doesn't you may want to check out one of the two Lonestars.

Tell you what, I busted out my old dallas rangemaster treble booster clone and using this on the clean channel. Im getting a nice twangy, clanky sound! I may have to rethink getting rid of this guy.

The recto has lots of great tones built in, especially in the areas at the borders of settings. Mess around with the 2nd channel on 'raw' and a nice high output pickup, or the clean channel on pushed with the gain and treble set high. I am still to this day finding tones I can do with this amp that I never would have thought of...

It's hard to let yourself dial in 'strange' settings or ones you wouldn't normally think of but I can get a nice vintage crunch (I use EL34's btw) or the sound of a nice old vintage amp with a slight hair on it just entering breakup on the clean channel in pushed mode. Plus you have 50 Watts of headroom so your breakup will be pretty quick with some decent volume levels.

What kind of guitar are you using with it?

Also, the LSC is an awesome amp so definetly check it out.

Thanks Platypus! Ive always thought of this amp as a one trick pony, but just taking some time and its showing more than one trick. Im using a LP mostly but also some teles. Your settings you gave me on TGP for a heavy sound worked out pretty good. But my latest band fell apart and I probably wont be playing that stuff in a gigging situatioin any time soon. Is there any chance of getting a good tweed sound out of it?

dave-o said:
Thanks Platypus! Ive always thought of this amp as a one trick pony, but just taking some time and its showing more than one trick. Im using a LP mostly but also some teles. Your settings you gave me on TGP for a heavy sound worked out pretty good. But my latest band fell apart and I probably wont be playing that stuff in a gigging situatioin any time soon. Is there any chance of getting a good tweed sound out of it?

Unfortunately the clean isn't good enough to be fender.. the rectifier series isn't known for its cleans :\

You really should check out an LSC if you're looking for Fender. One thing you can try is the first channel on pushed with just enough gain to be clean but if you play hard on your guitar it will get a slight bit of hair on it, or if you need more gain, the second channel on raw. Then, get a clean boost and rock that, but it won't really be a contest with the LSC. You can get some pretty awesome rock tones out of the LSC too.

Experiment in those zones and don't be afraid to try an OD or fuzz with it, I have found some awesome vintage tones using the recto's clean channel as a base and the effect as the actual settings.

I was about to say...

Tell you what, I busted out my old dallas rangemaster treble booster clone and using this on the clean channel. Im getting a nice twangy, clanky sound! I may have to rethink getting rid of this guy.

Plug in a Tele, dial in a nice bright clean tone, dial in a low gain (and low volume) distortion tone for rhythms, consider using a clean boost or guitars volume to go between these rhythm tones and lead tones.

Back