NOS tubes-update

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand your frustration and I always spend the time on the phone with clients who call to find out exactly what their needs are and what type of equipment they are using etc. This should have been done with you. I also think it highly pecuilar that you received 2 bad tubes. Anyway, if you have any further tube needs or questions please give us a call or email. Hopefully we can help get it right the first time.

Only power tubes, themselves, or a bias problem within an amp will cause redplating. Phase inverter tubes have nothing to do with the bias of power tubes.

I'm simply defending logic and physics.

No one has said that a PI tube will cause a power tube to redplate. Anyone with tube amp tech experience knows this.

Someone aluded to using an unbalanced tube or a wrong tube type for the amp and how it might affect performance negatively. Neither of these conditions would cause a power tube to red plate.

For all we know, there were other variables at play that you weren't aware of or forgot to mention (this is VERY common in trying to solve tech mysteries remotely) or what you thought was redplating wasn't really redplating.

I can't speculate on any of that. Facts are facts. Phase inverter tubes don't have any DC connection to the power tubes and can't affect the bias.

I told you what I know about bias and how the PI tube relates to that. These are facts. There's nothing personal in anything from my end.

Anything else about your amp would be speculation on my part.

I have no doubt that you experienced a problem, but I'll never know what it was. Did you ever get around to cleaning the pins on those tubes (with contact cleaner)? One dirty/oxidized tube pin and all bets are off.

Reluctance to try them would be understandable.

If you do decide to try again, try them one at a time in case one has a problem.

bscfo1 said:
Update: I don't think it was Mike's tubes at all. I really think it was my amp at this point. Nothing wrong with the second set of tubes. The first set was really no big deal, and Mike made it right. Just a coincidence with this set of tubes going in, and my amp just intermittently acting up right at that time.

Here's my apology to KCA NOS tubes for my premature post on this. Mike - I am sorry, you have a fine company. Best of luck and keep up the good work.

KCA - one of the GOOD ONES! -Bill Stivali

Thanks Bill. Happy everything worked out in the end. Sometimes it's hard to tell people, especially after frustration sets in, that situations like this sometimes happen, and simply plugging the same tube in a second time can make the problems go away.

Time for a beer!

bscfo1 said:
Amen brother on that beer - And thanks for being so patient and professional through this. Life lesson for me: never be to quick to judge if you don't know all the facts. Take care. Bill Stivali

Beer!!!!! *Gopher Farm* I got some Shiner Bock over here!

Back