NOS Mesa Triple Rectifier, Rev F Blackface!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverwulf

Reaction score
Ok, so it's not NOS in the sense that it was purchased that way from Boogie, but it may as well have been. Got it from the original owner that ordered it new from Boogie back in 1993, was delivered in January 1994. Since he bought it, he's turned it on a couple times and it's literally sit idle in his basement for the last 16-17 years, never used. So, you may as well call it NOS. when I asked how often he used it, his wife interrupted and said "He's probably turned that on twice since he bought it"... :lol:

Anyway, it's absolutely mint condition. The knobs are tight and the switches are stiff as a brick. It's RF-1F, Revision F...one of the last of the line before the transition to Revision G, first revision made of the Triple. Standard issue 550381 Choke, with a 561140 PT (because it's close to the Rev G transition) but a 562161 OT, which is odd because the prior Rev F I had with an earlier serial had a 562181 OT, like the later G's. It's what I expected this to have...that's an interesting turn of events.

Guy had the original sales receipt, the really old school slip covers you don't see anymore, as well as a custom Recto footswitch with a hand drawn diagram from Mesa and the rare to find original Rev C-F 3 page owners manual. you can see all of those in the pics below. Notice the footswitch has 2 LED's in it. Never seen one like that before, but I'll have to check out the schematic included and see what that's all about.

All in all, a relic and piece of Boogie history that looks like it's been preserved in a time capsule. How does it sound? Ridiculous. This amp is a monster, hands down. I'll include the original Rev C-F manual in the Recto guide when I get it out in a few months. You can see page 1 in the pic below. The funniest part is that it suggests the same thing I've always suggested on how to make the cleans usable on the early editions. Here's the pics...

triplerevf.jpg

triplerevf2.jpg

triplerevf3.jpg

Holy Crap dude, now that is pretty freaking awesome!
I love the way they write their manuals!
Nice Freaking Score!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WOW. That is just...unbelievable. Mesa probably doesn't even have one in storage that looks that good. What a score man. Congrats!

-AJH

Incredible. So glad you ended up getting that amp!

Too bad you will probably sell it in a few months :wink: :lol:

fluff191 said:
Incredible. So glad you ended up getting that amp!

Too bad you will probably sell it in a few months :wink: :lol:

Haha, this one is staying. I've only regretted selling a few amps in my day, and my old Rev F Triple was one of them. I'm glad to have one back in the fold, and in much better shape than my last one. It and my Rev G Blackface with factory serial loop are staying.

erectifier said:
did you pay much for it? sounds like the owner had no idea what he was holding onto

He knew what he had, and originally wanted $1400. We met in the middle and I gave him $1200 cash, local sale. It's a little more than I wanted to pay, but I don't mind paying a little more for something I really want and plan on keeping. Plus, it's virtually new.

Looks like the switch is a simple double latching footswitch that was designed to trigger two things at once. Maybe it was to trigger the channel on two heads? Triggering the channel and FX loop doesn't make sense on an amp with an assignable loop...

screamingdaisy said:
Looks like the switch is a simple double latching footswitch that was designed to trigger two things at once. Maybe it was to trigger the channel on two heads? Triggering the channel and FX loop doesn't make sense on an amp with an assignable loop...

I've not even paid any attention to it yet, but he did mention the intent to run his 2 Rectos in stereo, so I bet it was made so be could switch channels on both heads at once.

Silverwulf said:
screamingdaisy said:

I've not even paid any attention to it yet, but he did mention the intent to run his 2 Rectos in stereo, so I bet it was made so be could switch channels on both heads at once.

This is what I need made for my new heads! Too bad the footswitches have gone from 1 button to 6 :lol:
Waiting on a reply from my Mesa Rep to see if they might have answer. If not, I believe I'm going MIDI.

-AJH

Goodness, this amp has been in this guy's basement untouched for 16 years? Did you reform the caps?

Great deal though, and I'm sure it sounds great. My Rev F Dual does, but I'm sure it isn't quite as aggressive! I also have the 'mixed transformers' in my head, with the early dual power transformer / choke, and the later 105 output transformer.

Gorgeous! Great price too. The best recto Ive ever owned or played through was my old Rev F Triple

great score

Just wanted to give an update and say this amp continues to deliver the goods. Took it to practice today, and it rattled walls. Without a boost in front, it can easily hit those post grunge, Creed "Human Clay" tones, or "Load" era Metallica. I like tweaking it a little different and running an OD808 in front to give it that cliche sound most bands use these days. Adjusting the EQ and adding in just a slight bit of grit on the pedal (around 9:00 on the OD808) makes it very fluid and "chewy" to play. You can play tight, aggressive rhythms with maximum chunk yet still have enough give for great sounding leads. The amp really doesn't fight you at all, leads are smooth as butter, even when playing them while dialed in for rhythm, just stepping on the wah. I've been EQ'ing this amp a little differently than my Dual. Lately, this one has been:

Modern Red/Bold/Diodes
Treble - 1:00
Mids - 11:00
Bass - 10:00
Presence - 1:00
Gain - 1:00
Volume - Between 9:00-10:00 (Varies)

Maxon OD808
Output - Max
Tone - 12:00
Gain - 9:00

My Dual is usually ran with the Gain a little lower, mids a little higher, and treble rolled down just a hair. I also use no gain on the Maxon with it. So, slight differences in the EQ settings, but a difference in "feel" of the two. The Triple has all matched Sovtek's (pre and power amp) in it from the early 90's (and a Mesa SPAX7 in V1), where as the Dual has Sovtek 5881/6L6 flat base power tubes made around '03 and a set of high gain JJ's in the front end. Two similar, but very different amps.

I'm going to take the Triple to an outdoor gig in a few weeks and let it rip. Children and small animals be warned... :lol:

Hello,

will this footswitch work on Triple Recto revision G? Is it same schematic?

Code:
http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/9263/triplerevf3.jpg

And how would you edit that scheme for only one output and one diode?

I don't need two outputs from FTSW, should I just ignore the two branches or is there any deeper magic? I'm not too into physics and electricity...

So like this?

Back