NOS EL84s Not Having Much Effect in Tone of LSS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mAx___

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently put some NOS Siemens E84Ls in my LSS but didn't notice any specific change in tone. Is this normal?
When I put the same tubes in my VOX AC30H2 it was like getting a new amp, the improvement in tone was dramatic.

Also, what improvement should I expect by replacing the stock 12AX7s. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

M.

How old are the stock 12AX7s? Mesa is currently using JJs in the preamp section. The tech support who I spoke with about 3 weeks ago didn't know whaat the EL84s were. VOX and Mesa: 2 great, but totally different beasts. Can't expect the same thing in two different amps using the same tubes. I also have a PRRI. I personally can't stand the sound of JJs in that amp. I use Tung Sols in it.

The amp is two months old but the manufacturing date is 10/09. Do you think they were using JJs in the preamp section at that time? I hated the JJs on an AC30 I used to have but who knows. Like you said, two different beasts.
Have you tried Tung Sols in the LSS?

mAx___ said:
The amp is two months old but the manufacturing date is 10/09. Do you think they were using JJs in the preamp section at that time? I hated the JJs on an AC30 I used to have but who knows. Like you said, two different beasts.

10/09 would've been after the switch to JJs.

mAx___ said:

No, I haven't. At this point, as the amp is only a month old, I'm going to leave the tubes as they are.I used Tung Sols in a PRRI that I had. In that amp, they were vastly superior sounding than the JJs that I briefly tried,

mAx___ said:
Jared, were those Tung Sols current production or NOS?

Hey Max, they were new production, purchased from thetubestore.com. If it didn't cost so much to retube the LSS, I'd love to experiment. However, after the number of "experiments" that I did on that PRRI (largely to minimal avail), I'm not too inclined to go down that route right now, especially since the LSS is under warranty.

Latest posts

Back