Noob looking for advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDog

Reaction score
And asking for it in a biased forum, no doubt ;)

I've been playing for many years - always at home.

I have no amp today - Rather am using a Damage Control Demonizer (basically two 12AX7's ) into a Mixer then on into a set of Mackie Powered Speakers.

It's nice, but I'm inclined to give true amps another shot.

My last amp was a Marshall JCM800 combo (I play everything from 80's / 90's rock to clean). It just didn't do it for me but I believe it was because I never truly drove the amp with any power.

The Mark V has caught my eye - largely due to the power switching. As I usually don't play at glass shattering levels, my hope is to get solid gain, tone and sound at reasonable volumes by running in 5 watts. I'm also very intrigued by the cleans...

So my question - am I getting WAY too much of an amp given that she'll always be in lower power modes?

The other thing that caught my eye is the Orange Tiny Terror. Much less amp - less power - much cheaper - but sounds like purely a gain machine. As I say, the cleans in the Mesa's are very appealing.

I'd welcome your thoughts

LD

I think you answered your own question. Although the Mark 5 is best amp ever and can do any and all things (at least for me) for a bedroom only player, the $2000 price tag might not be worth it. If you do plan on recording or playing live at some point, no question, get it.
Here are some other options, that are lower wattage and have great cleans
Orange Dual Terror
Orange Rockerverb 30 or 50
Mesa Lone Star (10 watt and 100 watt option there, great cleans)
DR.Z Z28 (single channel)
DR.Z Maz 18 (single channel)
I know Rivera has some very cool wattage switchers too.

Welcome to the forum LDog. I would say that if you have the money, buy the Mark V. Although the Tiny Terror is a very nice amp, a Mark V it is not. I am currently not playing in a band myself and find that I am able to play the Mark V at manageable levels even in the 90W mode. Surely it sounds better loud, but this is one of the most manageable Boogie's I have ever played, and it is my fourth. The versatility of this amp is amazing, from shimmering cleans to melt your face off gain! I too was very concerned when I ordered my V that it would be way too much for me, but it turned out to be awesome. When the wife and kids go out, I always turn her up as much as I can stand just to hear how truly awesome the amp is. But, the majority of the time I am playing at very controlled household volumes. Go for it man, if I'm wrong someone will snap it up in a minute! Best of luck and hope this helps.

A good alternative to the Orange Tiny Terror is the Blackstar HT5-H. $300 and 5 watts. Pretty loud from what I hear despite the low wattage. I hear it's got really good tone. Uses a 12ax7 and some other pre tube for the power tube. It's even good for recording. Emulated speaker out.

Hi everybody.

I agree with the YTiny Terror or similar, if you aren´t gonna play with people.

Regards.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback and suggestions... I love to find forums so full of passionate and helpful people. What a wealth of knowledge - Thank you.

I'll be checking out the TinyTerror (and other Orange products) this week and searching for folks who carry some of the other brands listed in this thread.

One last question... I'm currently running through a tube pedal and then into powered speakers. The sound just isn't 'doing it' for me. It's flat, and somewhat lifeless.

Am I crazy to look back in the direction of a 'traditional' amp? I've been playing for awhile now - but have never really played with others so have not been exposed to different setups, trends, etc;. I may simply be chasing what doesn't exist.

Thx again to all.

If you've never really played into a real tube amp before, there is no where to go but up. I mean there is a place for "ampless" set ups. I've seen guys using a Line 6 M13 with a Tech 21 Charater pedal straight into a PA but it's a compromise of tone and volume.

Real richness lies in a traditional amp. Tube amps, Les Pauls, Strats and Teles have remained standards for 60 years for a reason. I didn't own a tube amp until I was 22! and what a journey it's been, I had a Mesa F-30, then F-50. I put on noise gates, metal pedals, eq's in the loop. I struggled to use what little money I had to get what I heard in my head and be able to use at a practical level. Then I got a Mark IV and now the Mark 5. My journey is over as far as amps are concerned.

Tube pedals really fail to deliver on what they promise.

Latest posts

Back