Nomad 55 1x12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thatguy

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm new to the forum this is my first post. I'm looking into a nomad 55, and am wondering if it will do some metal tones or if it needs a boost. Also I'm wondering if anyone has tried running it through a 4x12 recto cab and what that might sound like. And any other suggestions you might have for this amp.
Thanks

I have a Nomad 100 combo and the red channel will do metal - no problem. I do have the extra 5 band EQ, which is switchable, which you don't have, if I want a super second order mid scoop. Rarely do I use it though. 55 watts is big enough for most gigs as I rarely push mine past 4 un-miked. Yours also has the solo, post preamp/pre poweramp, boost to give it a kick in the pants when you need it. Some people think these are a muddy sounding amp, which would not be good for metal, and there is a "mud-mod" link here somewhere, but I don't think mine is muddy at all. I find a lot of players thinking that high hashy sound is classic for metal, but, I can't stand the buzz saw anymore. I'm constantly rolling off the treble in live situations. From fixing amps and playing in working bands, I have definately found out that "good tone" is very subjective. A good closed cab should emphisize the lows which the Recto cab is famous for. It is a very versitile amp IMO. It is not a Rectifier but it will cover Jazz to AC/DC to Pantera. My band mate owns a Triple Rectifier and it will keep up with him. I would say to go for it if the price is right, but, I'm jaded because I own one :D - Pat.

Depends on what style of metal and what tones you're looking for.

The red and orange channels on a Nomad have three gain stages like a Marshall JCM 800 or One-Wire-Mod JMP, and should be able to reach a comparable levels of distortion. However, if you're looking for even more gain at levels comparable to a Recto (which has four gain stages) then you'll probably need a boost.

Take the red or orange channel and bring the gain up to about 2/3s of max, and tweak EQ to taste. If that's still not enough gain, pull the gain back to oh, about halfway, and feed it with your favorite overdrive or boost pedal.

Hi, I am new to the boards also, and recently picked up a nomad 100 head. I think it does metal very well, but I have to use an overdrive pedal to get there. It is not that the amp does not have enough gain, because it does...the gain just needs a crisp overdrive pedal to make it tight and controllable in my opinion.

There is an incredible array of tones for metal with the channels and modes. I am very pleased with my Nomad so far, alas mine also has the active EQ with I think really helps me shape and define the sound. I'm don't think I would like the amp near as much without the EQ.

I've got one. If you want an eq just put one in the effects loop. I use a Boss GE-7 with a mod kit from Monte Allums. Works great for boosting the low end which a single 12 combo lacks. I also ran mine through a Genz Benz 2x12 cab when I was gigging. It was a monster with that. They are great amps for the price and cover a ton of ground tonally so you're not stuck with a one trick pony. Check the threads here about them. There's alot of info about tweaking them to your taste. Enjoy!

Do you think (value wise), me trading my 5150 head for a nomad 55 is about an equal trade. Not in sound but strictly value. It is a nomad 55 1x12. Mine is a signature 5150 that could benefit from new tubes.

I got mine for $750 9 yrs. ago. I've seen them go for $650 and less since. Not sure what the value of a 5150 is. Tip: I get a very nice VH tone by using the Rat model in my POD to boost ch.3. But then I'm also using el34's...

I would say yes dependin on your style.
A friend was usin mine for a while (playin Ozzy, Motley Crue etc). It worked very well.
Might not work as well for death metal.

Back