Nomad 45 Reverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4242

Reaction score
Greetings fellow Mesa-ers

I find the reverb on the Nomad 45 really weak even on the clean channel with reverb on max.

Can anyone confirm that this is normal on the Nomads? Do they have to be cranked real loud to hear the reverb or is it supposed to be subtle?

I'm trying to determine if mine is faulty. I had a look in the tank and all the springs are attached, didn't really seem much that could go wrong.

Any experience/ comments welcome!
Thanks
Jon

Hi Jon,

The volume knob for each channel also acts as the reverb send. Have you cranked that up on the clean channel? I own a Nomad too which I'm quite fond of, I find the reverb is very juicy and Fender-y on Ch1, but it's really lacking on Ch2&3. When I get some time I'm going to mod that and will post the details here.

Good luck!

Jonny

I have a nomad 55 and my experience is kind of similar to what Jonny just said, I like the reverb on the clean channel but don't like it too much on channels 2 and 3. On the clean channel I don't need to crank the channel volume up to get a good reverb though, it sounds good even with low channel volume so it is possible that your amp has a problem. The thing about the Nomads is that all the controls are very interactive and take some time getting used to. When I first bought mine, I honestly hated it and couldn't get a decent sound of it.. after playing with it for a while I learned how to get the sounds I wanted and it is my main amp now. :)

There are just too many impatient people out there who don't spend enough time getting to know their gear - especially with amps such as a Mesa, where the controls actually DO what it says beneath them!

The Nomad's are greeat amps if you dial them right - the gain and tone on Ch3 is unreal and quite rectifier sounding, I get an excellent Petrucci-esque tone on mine with the Gain around 2 o'clock, volume 2 o'clock. Ch1 can also double as a very bright lead channel, it's currently my favourite channel, the cleans RULE on this one, possibly the best Mesa clean sound? Again, very versatile...

Eventually I'd like a 3ch Rectifier, Nomad and IIc+ or MkIV, that covers most of the tones I'd like to use.

Jonny

BTW the mod is actually quite easy to do, just have to replace a couple of resistors, when I get it all figured out I'll post it here.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try cranking the clean volume and see if the reverb becomes more apparent.

I'm loving everything else on the Nomad and if I can get the reverb sounding right then I think I have a keeper :)

my experience is the opposite: I get the best tones out of my Nomad when I have the master volume turned almost all the way up and the channel volumes set relatively low. I think the reverb and the effects through the loop sound much better when I do that.

GMello said:
my experience is the opposite: I get the best tones out of my Nomad when I have the master volume turned almost all the way up and the channel volumes set relatively low. I think the reverb and the effects through the loop sound much better when I do that.

Hi Gmello,

Not sure what you mean by "better", but in the signal chain the master is placed after the reverb and the fx loop, so controlling the overall loudness and therefore not the level of the reverb or fx in the mix, this explains it:

nomadblockdiagramjo9.jpg

JK

Hi jvk
yeah I understand what youre saying. But IMHO, when I turn the channel volume too high the signal that goes to the reverb and loop gets too hot and the cause the reverb/effects to sound distorted...
I rather send a lower, cleaner signal to the reverb and the loop and use the reverb and loop return knobs to balance the amount of effect and reverb in the mix and use the master volume volume to control the overall loudness.

Yes! I've modded my Nomad, it now has TONS of reverb on Ch2 + Ch3!!

It was very simple to work out, now it sounds like it's in a cathedral!!!!

All I had to do was replace two resistors and hey presto!!

clips coming soon....

Jonny

Latest posts

Back