Nomad 100 channel volumes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drdowell

Reaction score
Has any other Nomad user experienced drastic differences in the volumes for the 2nd and 3rd channel?
I realize that there are big jumps in volume when switching between channel modes, like when on the second channel going from vintage to modern setting. However what I'm referring to is the overall volume of the 2nd channel is much louder regardless of the mode than the 3rd channel.
My 3rd channel is fairly quiet, especially in Vintage mode, I have to turn the channel vol and master vol way up to get it loud. It does not seem as loud as I would expect a 100W head to be on this channel. But I am hoping it is just a normal for this amp a design quirk as opposed to a malfunction.
I have tried new preamp tubes and power tubes and the symptoms were still the same.

Thanks
Drew

drdowell said:
Has any other Nomad user experienced drastic differences in the volumes for the 2nd and 3rd channel?
I realize that there are big jumps in volume when switching between channel modes, like when on the second channel going from vintage to modern setting. However what I'm referring to is the overall volume of the 2nd channel is much louder regardless of the mode than the 3rd channel.
My 3rd channel is fairly quiet, especially in Vintage mode, I have to turn the channel vol and master vol way up to get it loud. It does not seem as loud as I would expect a 100W head to be on this channel. But I am hoping it is just a normal for this amp a design quirk as opposed to a malfunction.
I have tried new preamp tubes and power tubes and the symptoms were still the same.

Thanks
Drew

Hi,

My Nomad 100 2X12 combo behaved exactly the same way. It used to drive me batty because it seems counterintuitive to the way channels should go on a three channel amp. The manual even says that channel 2 in modern mode is the loudest sound in the amp. In channel 3 on modern mode, I would have to turn the master volume (you might be calling this the channel volume) up to 2:00 to get the same volume as channel 2 in modern mode with the master volume at 10:00. That is with the output staying the same for each channel. I talked to other Nomad owners, and they said the same thing. If it seems overly quiet, you could always change the pots on channel 3 or at least clean them to make sure they are not causing the problem. Nomad's had problems with bad pots.

thanks for the reply, I am very relieved that others experienced this, then I would wager mine is not defective. I was going to take it to a tech, but I think I'll just learn to live with it as likely nothing could be done about it, it sounds like the way it was designed.

I read the manual I did not remember it stating 2nd channel was the loudest, I'll have to re-read it!

thank you, very helpful

drdowell said:
thanks for the reply, I am very relieved that others experienced this, then I would wager mine is not defective. I was going to take it to a tech, but I think I'll just learn to live with it as likely nothing could be done about it, it sounds like the way it was designed.

I read the manual I did not remember it stating 2nd channel was the loudest, I'll have to re-read it!

thank you, very helpful

Well, I was recalling the manual from memory, so there may have been a little interpretation going on. Here is the passage from page 13 of the manual:

"This sound is the hugest rock sound in the Nomad and for all out girth, it tips the scales. The same stylistic ranges apply as those of the NORMAL mode, but the top end of the GAIN Control unleashes the true beast within, and should be experienced with a hot humbucking pick-up to really appreciate its footprint.
NOTE: Reduce the MASTER Control when switching from VINTAGE NORMAL to MODERN as internal changes in the circuit increase volume levels dramatically !"

I interpreted "hugest rock sound" as loudest mode, which it always was on my Nomad.

Glad I can help.

thanks cscotto.

2nd channel is the 'hugest rock sound' for sure.....too much rock for one hand....you have to use two hands together just to describe it \m/ \m/
wow, that was a cheesy, I must be slap happy.

+1 on what cscotto said. You definately get a volume boost or cut when you flip the mode switches. Mine has operated this same way since it came brand new out of the box.

I too have noticed the volume difference between ch 2 & 3 where 2 has to be set much lower than that of channel 3 for the same volume. I think this is due to the Nomad being a true 2 channel amp - channel 1 being one channel and channels 2 & 3 being the other. There are relays that swich in and out different electronic components but the same preamp tubes are used for both channels 2 & 3. I think I heard this is called channel cloning. I'm fairly certain that you have no problem with your amp. - Pat.

Part of this is because of how the preamp circuits for channels 1 & 2 are configured. Channel 2's 2nd gain stage is fed a hotter signal from the 1st gain stage, and has more gain on the 2nd gain stage than channel 3's 2nd gain stage does. So Channel 2 is configured a little hotter than Channel 3 to begin with.

Then, the vintage/modern switches switch out resistors after each channels tone stack to affect the voicing, removing the resistor to bring Channel 2 to modern, and adding one to bring Channel 3 to vintage. These resistors do make some tonal changes, but because they are resistors they resist the signal going through them, making it a bit weaker. Adding them to or removing them from the circuit will affect how weak or strong of a signal is sent to the power amp. Obviously the stronger signal reaching the power amp, the louder the amp will be.

wow, This is my first Mesa amp, so very cool to hear some insight into the more in depth reasons for these channel differences.

I am not an amp tech, but you guys explained it in ways that do make sense to a circuit novice. Thanks

Back