New JP Owner and Have a Question about the Master Volumes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vapnfagan

Reaction score
I just purchased a used JP-2C and i have 2 questions about the volume controls.

1st I notice channel 1 (clean) gets very loud the moment you start turning the knob 1....2.... , Like a 100W tube amp should but the same doesn't apply to Channel 2/3. For instance, I have the clean channel on about 1/2 (7/8 o'clock)and the gain channels i have to set around noon for the volumes to match up. Is this normal?

My 2nd question is i notice the master volumes on channel 2/3 dont act like your typical 100W tube amps. As i said, You have to turn them up pretty high to get the amp LOUD when playing lets say with a band. When compared to another 100W tube head, I could have the volume knob on 3 and its as loud as the JP-2C on 5-6.

Now i only play and jam at home, So this is actually kinda nice but i just want to make sure nothing is wrong with the head since i bought it used. Switch on the back is set to 100W mode, Not using the FX loop.

Thanks so much!

I just checked mine out, and mine gets loud quickly on all three channels. For reference I just turned all three gains to noon and put the master to 9 o'clock and the volumes are all about the same (clean channel is louder by nature , but not overly so). All setting chan 1 pres at 1 o'clock , treb at noon, mids at 8 o'clock , bass at 1 o'clock. Chan 2 pres at 1 o'clock , treb at 2 o'clock, mids at 10 o'clock , bass at 8 o'clock , and like I said gain at noon and master at 9 o'clock.

I moved the master to noon just to check and it was loud , like good band loud .

Maybe you have a tube going bad , my guess would be V3 or V4 .

Lok

No worries, It is totally normal. Mine is the same exact. When i got mine i freaked out and did some research, It is totally normally and i dont remember why they designed it like that but the clean channel on mine, I just touch it and its loud. Channel 3 and 2 i have to crank the volume pretty high even when playing at home. Comparing it to other 50-100watt tube heads, It almost seems like its not pushing the wattage or that something is wronf but everything is normal. If you do some research you can dig up why its designed like this, Like i said i dont remember the exact reasoning behind it.

Thanks for the follow up.
I like cleans of the JP2C+ almost as much as the Quad , they are in the Fender Blackface territory.
Lok

Back