Noisy TriAxis

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrcomputer

Reaction score
Finally,

Just scored a Triaxis off of EBay. It appears to be clean and I like the variety of tones I'm getting out of it. I'm playing it through a 20/20 into Thiele cabs (w / EVM's) - I 've got a GMajor in the effects loop.

A couple of issues:

1) Output volume control is very touchy - Almost no volume til about 1.5 - 2, then BAM! Louder to 3 or so, then really not much gain beyond that. The inclusion of the GMajor actually aids in tempering the output level, but I've got the inputs on the 20/20 down to 3 to keep from pissing off the neighbors and to avoid creating front-end distortion in the 20/20.

2) Hum. This sucker has got it. I've played with patch cables, grounds, equipment proximity - I expect some hiss on the hotter presets, but we're talking HUM! With the 20/20 at the lower settings it's not such a big deal, but my levels are going to increase at gigs and who needs the additional noice to complicate the mix?

I'm taking it into Mesa (Hollywood) today (the 20/20 needs some unrelated repairs, so I might as well drag the Triaxis along), but are these issues the exception or the rule?

Your comments appreciated - 8)

jbw

Just to let you know. The Triaxis is super noisy. Especially if you use the Dynamic Voice. You don't have the 2:90, but with DEEP on it goes into super hum. You really need some type of gate or noise reduction system with the Triaxis.

I don't find my Triaxis noisy at all, except for the normal amount when using lots of gain. The hush function in my Intellifex easily copes with that.

Jan

I don't find my Triaxis noisy at all, except for the normal amount when using lots of gain. The hush function in my Intellifex easily copes with that.

Jan

What do you think I'm talking about....clean channels? :roll: Do you use a 2:90?

I'm telling you my experiences, hoping it may shed some light, and you roll your eyes.

Is this what you call appreciation of comments? :lol:

Is confirmation that the Triaxis is an execptionally noisy unit just what you want to hear?

Anyway, best with your Triaxis, I'm loving mine, with a 50/50, and no execptional noise or hum. I did have some hum when using certain pedals and adapters, but with those removed, I didn't have any problems anymore.

Jan

I use mine with a 20/20 and have to say for a high gain amp it's as noisy as any other high gain amp, goes with territory really..just enjoy the amp (if it's really too noisy then there will be a problem......) but as I've said high gain = some noise......Hum usually means bad earth ground loops ...but you say you have looked at that??

Avoid single coils, bad earths, ground loops...neons etc etc..................if its doing more then hiss ie it's crackling making thunder noises (check the tubes...I always retube an old amp I've bought as thats the first 'easy' fix...then clean all contacts and pots with 'DexoxIt)

regards

I've just got my TriAxis back from the Hollywood Mesa store.

The tech there went over the unit and pronounced it clean. He said the output volume taper and the hum (in some modes) was just the way it works.

Not a wasted trip, I got a new set of tubes and a clean bill of health on my 20/20.

I purchased a Rocktron Hush off E-Bay this week (for cheap!). I'll try throwing it b/w the pre- and the power-amp to see how it sounds.

Thanks to all for your input.

jbw

Latest posts

Back