No love for the Nomad?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing that I have searched the guitar related boards for, and have been unable to find, is an answer to my question "what does the Sonic Stomp do?" Is it an EQ? Is it a clean boost? Is it a cap. filter? Is it a preamp? Frankly, I have seen some threads and posts that say it doesn't do much of anything, but I have seen others that say it is the greatest thing since sliced bread! I have a totally open mind about it, and would just like an answer to my question.

Some of the responses in this thread cover pretty well what the Sonic Stomp does.
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17056&p=126835

I picked up a Nomad 100 and a 1980s Marshall 1936 212 (loaded with '70s) a few days ago only for the price of a Rocktron Vendetta. ($980 or so)

That being said, the tone I get from the Nomad combined with the Marshall is OUTSTANDING. It's almost a blend of my two favorite guitar tones; that of John Petrucci and that of Mikael Akerfeldt.

Channel 1 is probably the best clean I've ever had. It's a nice, punchy clean. With a hint of reverb, it opens it up and delivers.

Channel 2 is a sweet, sweet channel. It's got a ton of crunch to it, very similar to 'Falling Into Infinity' era Dream Theater.

Channel 3 is my favorite 'high gain' channel ever. It's crisp, has a lot of crunch to it, yet it sings beautifully when playing lead.

And then you add in the fact it's got a footswitchable graphic EQ and that just makes everything sound even more alive.

I've got a DeltaLab TD-1 overdrive coming in this week, so I'll throw that in the line too. (it was only $50 bucks and true bypass - the model I tried at GC was pretty sweet.)

I run a Boss DD6 in the loop, and as of now just run the guitar straight in. Heavenly tone at my fingers.

The Mesa Nomad ROCKS.

Glad you like your new amp!

so how many mesa guys/gals do we have here? I would bet at least 5 or 6.

+1 for a Nomad sub board!

I've a Nomad45 1x12 which seems to be a unfairly unfashionable Mesa .... I've not gigged it but it's served me well when recording.

I also modded it installing a toggle switch on rear to switch fx loop from parallel to series

Hi all

New owner of a Mesa Nomad 100 1x12 Combo.... Am really loving the sounds..

I noticed a buzz sound comming from the amp on channel 1 (clean) whilst playing the E string ... I have been told to replace the pre amp tubes p.s (I know nothing about tube amps)

Because I bought this second hand and although the amp looks mint, I reckon a full tube replacement is in order...

I noticed many of you talking about placing different brand tubes in different positions etc...

is there somewhere i can find a shematic or diagram as to which tube slot relates to which channel or something..

Please be patient with me, Im a valve Virgin :p

and yes a Mesa forum should have a specific section for every mesa amp.. Including the Nomad series...

First, if you haven't already, download a copy of the Nomad manual, available here. Next, read the manual, taking time to make sure you really understand what each section is saying. Then, read it again for good measure.

If you're hearing buzzing or some other kind of noise, first check to make sure everything is properly grounded and shielded, including the outlet which you plug the amp into, the pickups in your guitar, and the control cavity which houses the controls on your guitar. A lack of proper shielding or grounding can allow noise to find its way in with your signal. Now, if the noise comes only when playing on channel 1 (clean) then V2, may be suspect, as it is the 2nd and 3rd gain stages for the clean channel only. However, you describe the noise as a buzz when playing on the E string through channel 1 (clean). Is the buzz only heard on the E string (high or low?) when playing clean, and not when playing with distortion on the 2nd or 3rd channels? If that is the case, I cannot help but wonder if what you're hearing is fret buzz, which might point to the guitar's setup needing tweaking.

With regard to tubes, there is a diagram in the back of the manual which explains what tubes do what. You'll need 5 preamp tubes of the 12AX7(A)/ECC83 type, and 4 6l6GCs or EL34s. As in the past, there are many different brands and models of 12AX7 tubes available today, and many are of decent quality. Each different brand or model will have a slightly different sound, and so mix and matching different brands of preamp tubes allows you to tweak and tailor the nuances of the amp's voicing to your tastes. The tubes in the preamp don't have to be the same as each other, nor the same as the tubes in the power amp, but the tubes in the power amp will have to match each other closely for the amp to work correctly. The preamp tubes will have more effect on your tone than the power tubes. The coloration the power tubes add is very subtle until the amp is turned up very loud.

You can go with either current production tubes, which, while being made primarily in Russia and China, are decent and will work in your amp, or you can use old European and American production tubes. The old production tubes (commonly and sometimes incorrectly referred to as NOS), while being more expensive and harder to find at times, can provide tonal flavors that the tubes made today cannot. If you're willing to spend the time and money hunting down deals on old tubes, you could take the time to compare new and old production back to back and decide which you like the sounds of better.

Well put!

A new set of tubes would make the amp sound great but would also be kind of expensive. personally i would just wait till my power tubes go and then get new ones. also if you look inside the amp, on one of the sides there should be a diagram explaining which tube goes where.

As for buzz it might be something loose in the amp. tighten down the speaker screws the four screws on top and the handle screws. if its an electronic buzzing then maybe V2 would do the trick

Well, on the subject of "no love for the Nomad" I just must say this. Before I bought my used, mint Nomad, I had a loaded Mark III. I couldn't play on it. When I got the good set-up for clean, the ch. 2 and 3 sounded like heck. If I set those up right, the clean was bad. The Nomad I tried wasn't perfect (we all want clean overdrive, and it does not exist), but I could play it! And, I sold my old Mark III for twice what I paid for the Nomad. I am playing much better now with the Nomad than the Mark III,and find that the infamous mud goes away when the amp is turned tup to band volume. The reverb isn't much, but it wasn't much on the Mark III, and I don't use much anyway. After the Mark II, I really appreciate that the Nomad has separate controls for all three channels, plus an over-all master volume, and a solo boost volume. I played on an express an a recto the other day, and they couldn't touch it! Yeah, it needs some things, like a good graphic EQ and a Sonic Maximizer. But I've nevr met an amp that doesn't need a few things in the FX. Main thing is guitar playing is fun again.

Latest posts

Back