No idea... help, please?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgventura

Reaction score
Ok, so I think i'm gunna get the phase 90, along with another couple of assorted pedal effects. I have NO idea how I'd hook them up to my amp. I read the manual on the FX loop, but I have no idea what any of it means. Can someone please help?

I like the phase 90 run into the front of the amp

whatcha mean the front of the amp? like, my guitar into the input of the phase 90, and the output of the 90 into the input of the amp? whats the deal with all this FX loop mumbo jumbo?

To me, running guitar>phase 90> amp sounds more like I have heard it in the past so that is how i would use it. Your effects loop is for timebased effects. The phase 90 is a timebased effect so you could run it there also but the majority of the recordings I have ever heard it was in front of the amp.

Just experiment with it and your effects. People run all kinds of crazy stuff. It really depends upon how you want to use it. It sounds cool to have the swirl get distorted by your amp as opposed to have your distorted tone get swirled. You'll see what I mean if you just plug the thing in and play.

haha thanks, now.. I'm thinking of getting a delay and chorus also... would you recommend chaining them together and using it in the front of the amp? or for something like that, use the FX loop? is this just a preference thing? And Lets say I did run it in the FX loop, i just dont understand all the send and return mix levels and how the masters are no longer masters when FX is switched on.. sorrry, i sound dumb.... i am dumb haha

Again placement in your chain is personal taste. Some like their time based in front and some like it in the loop. It really depends on the sound you are going for. Just plug them in and play cause you'll know how you like it to sound. As far as levels go that is something that you again have to decide for youself. Just keep in mind that with effects there is a point of diminishing returns and that you can get overly processed sounding and in the end it sounds bad and takes a turn away fomr sounding like the instrument that you started with.

I also use all effects out front and not in the loop with the exception of delay. I alway's run the delay in the loop so it is after the preamp distortion, otherwise it is out of control and over the top on the gain channels. Then again, some people like that over the top sound and use delay for exactly that purpose. I don't. I only use delay as an enhancement similar to reverb effects for soloing. It's all a matter of what you are trying to create.

BTW, I'd also recommend getting the EVH phase 90. It's worth the couple extra bucks to get both the scripted and modern sounds.

peace,
-d

jgventura said:
And Lets say I did run it in the FX loop, i just dont understand all the send and return mix levels and how the masters are no longer masters when FX.....

If you have the FX loop set to anything other than "Bypass", your Output and Solo knobs will function (even if the loop is footswitched off). Set to Bypass, only the Channel Masters will control your volume. If you're set up to use the Out and Solo already, just plug in the FX and go...nothing will change in that regard.

To start with, set the FX Send on the amp to about 1:00 and the Mix at around 10:00. If your fx have their own mix/blend/wet/intensity type controls, turn that all the way up.

Start playing and hit the FX loop footswitch. If there is a big change in volume, adjust the FX Send to fix that. If you want to hear more or less effects in your sound, adjust the FX Mix. If the effect (especially Delay) sounds noisy or distorted, turn your Channel Masters down until it cleans up and adjust the Output to get your volume back.

And no you dont sound dumb. Dumb is when you dont understand, yet DONT ask.

hey thanks man! see, I don't have the pedal(s) yet, and I've always just been guitar --> amp kinda guy, so I have no experience with effects at all. And now I understand the send and return knobs, but, there is an input for each also. If I don't plugin effects to the front of the amp, would I plug the output of the effect into the send and the return into the input of the pedal or vice versa?

Have you done any research about effects? I am surprised because there's so much info on the net that you could easily search on google.

Well, anyway, time based effects are usually referred to ones that use delay. These effects include: delay, flanger, chorus, and probably some more that I am forgetting but those are the most popular. Phase should not be considered a time based effect since it uses "phasing" to make the effect (you can almost replicate a phaser with a pickup selector switch on your guitar by just going back and forth while playing).

I suggest that you buy one of those zoom cheapie effects processors so you can see and use all of the effects that you are asking about without actually investing a lot of money. I know many will disagree but seeing your position I think it would be hurtful to buy 1 pedal and then start gassing over other pedals. You've made it clear before that you are undecisive so you should also consider that part when buying something. Another thing to check out is the Behringer Vamp 2 which you can bypass the modeling function to just use the effects. This also makes for a great lightweight backup.

There aren't any rules for running effects and you will get ten different responses from 10 different guitarists. Sometimes it's better to learn the hard way because you tend to learn out of necessity instead of someone giving you their biased opinion.

With all of that said the first pedals I bought were a Boss Bf-2 flanger and an MXR phase 90 phaser. They were pretty cool at first but I never found a practical use for them. Now I am nearly effectless and don't feel the need to have any effects. If you've made it this long without effects you probably don't need them and may never wind up using them. The one thing I do have is a Behringer V-amp2 that i can use as verb, delay, flange, chorus, phase, compressor, tremelo, rotary speaker, and auto wah for my Triaxis. That would probably hold you over. The vamp2 is extremely easy to edit on the fly since it's like having a pedal with knobs right there(because it actual has knobs with lighted position markers). The effects are decent enough to use live but might not cut it in the studio.

Good luck.

Time based effects are effects that effect the time or rate at which the effect is heard. Any effect that doesn't make its sound the first time as you are playing can be considered time based. Think of it as anything that lingers around after you play. Notice distortions or overdrives will quit as soon as the signal does. When you play a note and then stop it plays its note exactly when you do then stops when you do. In the case of a chorus, flanger, phaser, delay, or reverb you can set it to trail off after you stop playing. This is why we consider them timebased. There are other effects too like compressors, filters and gates that have their own purposes but they are not timebased. To say that you are using timebased effects is a broad statement saying that you are using something that modifies what you play into something that is effected in such a way that it technically plays more than you actually do. It is just a way to easily sum up what you are using. In this case using your timebased effects in the loop. Again you can use anything anywhere you want in your chain. In NoGlassNoClass's example it shows him using a phaser in front of the amp while other timebased pedals are in the loop. That would be a perfect example of using thing where you want to while retaining the idea of using timebased effects in the loop with the exception of the phaser. Personally, I opt to use my wah after my OD sometimes. Sometimes I might put my eq first while other times it is last prior to the input and/or in the loop. So see, you really need to just play around with your rig and decide what is best for you for what. Sometimes you might have to reconfigure your signal path for a different song.

Never criticize yourself and have self-esteem. Certainly don't feel intimidated. You don't sound dumb. If anything you just sound new. That is ok. We were all new at one time. It would be hard to be born with knowledge about everything. The dumb question is the one not asked if you don't already know the answer.

What sounds dumb is playing your gear without taking the time to figure out what should be where and making a mess of your sound if you are trying to play within any certain genre trying to capture a certain sound.

This can be a bit critical though because creating your own sound might be creating a mess. Look at Jimi, he played stuff that people to this day are in amazement over though at the time it was truly shocking to hear those sounds coming from a guitar much like our later Eddie Van Halen. Other artists that were like that were the guys of early rock and roll like Chuck Berry. Another instance of playing outside the box were the early blues players. Looking back many of these artists were milestones and benchmarks by which to measure by.

Just remember that just as it is your personal preference to play your rig in a certain fashion and it is also your own personal enjoyment that you are looking for. If you choose to emulate your favorite rocker sobeit. If you choose to cut your own path just do it. Your experience should be individual as your spirit. Enjoy.

Back