NGD-Carvin CT6M - Updated Pics!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domct203

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Just won an Ebay auction for a mint condition Carvin CT6M, Deep Red Flame Maple top.

I've been wanting to try a Carvin for some time, hope it lives up to the hype.

Will post a pic when I get home.

Dom

dc200close.jpg

my 1984 carvin dc200K.

after 27 years, and 4 custom-built guitars since, still my number one guitar.

i think the ONLY issue you might have, would be choice of pickups.
that's really a personal thing, i put a Duncan Custom Custom in this one, never looked back.

I love my 2008 DC150! It's got stainless steel frets that show no wear at all and play really slick! I agree with gonzo about the pickups. They're not for everyone. I have a set of Duncan Seth Lovers in mine.

Here's the pic from the auction. I'll post more when I get her. Funny thing is I had spec'd out almost the exact same guitar a few weeks ago on Carvin's site! The only difference was that I had black hardware instead of chrome and SS frets.

No build wait, and almost half the price!

CarvinCT6M.jpg

Dom

Here's some pics:

A shot with the camera's flash to show the detail in the wood grain.
CT6M_1.jpg

With just the room light, this is closer to the color IRL.
CT6M_2.jpg

Matching Headstock.
CT6M_3.jpg

Sorry, but she's a little dirty from putting her through her paces at practice last night. What a great playing guitar!

The neck is extremely comfortable to play. The sustain is epic! Notes ring and resonate clearly throughout the guitar.

Fit and finish is absolutely Top Notch. The guitar fits me great. It is very comfortable to play whether sitting or standing, and upper fret access is awesome.

The pickups sound absolutely phenomenal clean. The coil taps add and incredible chime and 3D texture. These are some of the best sounding clean p'ups I have ever played.

Unfortunately, with High Gain tones, I find the p'ups somewhat clouded and indistinct sounding. When I lower the p'up it gets clearer, but looses the authority and punch.

No problem though, I have a nice pair of PRS Dragon II's on deck :twisted: !

Dom

cool pictures. I actually have a CT6 24 fret in the process of being made right now and it should be done in 2 weeks. I'm anxiously waiting for it. It's good to read quick review. I have a feeling I'll be changing out the pickups also. I really like tight high gain sounds. I haven't decided on what pickups yet. I did play a friends PRS mira recently and I really like the way those pickups sounded.

TimeSignature said:
Nice guitar! I thought that the Carvin pups were horrible. I swapped them for an Air Norton and Tone Zone.

I actually just picked up an Air Norton (from monsta-tone) to try @ the neck. Where is yours, bridge or neck? I just swapped in a SD Custom Custom @ the bridge, can't wait to try her at practice with it. I found the C22 @ the bridge honk-ey and somewhat clouded and indistinct with my Roadster.

Dom

domct203 said:
TimeSignature said:
Nice guitar! I thought that the Carvin pups were horrible. I swapped them for an Air Norton and Tone Zone.

I actually just picked up an Air Norton (from monsta-tone) to try @ the neck. Where is yours, bridge or neck? I just swapped in a SD Custom Custom @ the bridge, can't wait to try her at practice with it. I found the C22 @ the bridge honk-ey and somewhat clouded and indistinct with my Roadster.

Dom

Air Norton = Neck

What is the fingerboard radius on your axe? I think they are available in 10" and 14".

I've read on other forums that Carvin uses a non-standard route for their pups. Maybe this was just for their 7-strings.

Did you have any problems retrofitting dimarzios?

zilla said:
What is the fingerboard radius on your axe? I think they are available in 10" and 14".

I've read on other forums that Carvin uses a non-standard route for their pups. Maybe this was just for their 7-strings.

Did you have any problems retrofitting dimarzios?

I'm not sure what the radius is.

The DiMarzios fit just fine.

Dom

FWIW-

I just put Bill (& Becky) Lawrence L-500's in this guitar and the depth of the pickup cavity is fine (the L-500 are deep p'ups). I would think just about any pickup currently made would fit in the CT6M.

Dom

Back