Next Recto Finding: PICKUPS!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I got my PRS Singlecut today....what a gorgeous guitar. Plugged it into my recto and it wails! Sustains forever, and the resonance is just to die for.

Pics:

DSC04161.jpg

DSC04162.jpg

To my point....

I have come to the conclusion that the Recto is VERY picky when it comes to pickups....VERY VERY PICKY! More than I had ever thought actually...

Of course, different pickups bring out different characteristics, but when running the lower output PRS 7's (when compared to the tremontis), everything seemed much smoother and more pleasant. Channel 3 modern was no longer super harsh....much more like a channel 2 vintage on steroids.

I LOVE IT! Still experimenting with the new pups, and I might give the Tremonti a try in the PRS....

Just wanted to share my findings!

PRS + Mesa is heaven!

macmax said:
i only use Tom Anderson Pickups and they are really great

Hi macmax,

Just wondering. Which pickup model are you using, H2+, H3? What guitar are you using the Anderson pickup with? Thanks.

To ibanez, sorry to hijack your thread. Nice guitar btw.

you know, you just answered a question I had had for a while...

I've always heard people say "If you have a high output amp, you don't need high output pickups--let the amp do the work."

I always thought old geezers who were not into high-gain amps used that statement. I didn't see the negative of using hot pickups with a hot amp.

Now you've obviously proved a point and shown that they were right.

Nice guitar btw!!!

When I had my Dual Rectifier and my two PRS SC I found that the #7 pups were perfect for the DR. They were so smooth and even in high gain you can hear the clarity of each string. Another good pup for the DR is the Duncan JB. I never tried the Tremonti pups.

I agree completely! Playing even more, I see that the 7's really let the DR shine! Everything is sooo smooth!

As for the high output pups, I really believe it is overkill with a high gain amp now.

Elpelotero, I'm glad I could help! I'm a bliever now too. When push even more gain into an amp that has more than you could ever need?

ibanez4life SZ! said:
I agree completely! Playing even more, I see that the 7's really let the DR shine! Everything is sooo smooth!

As for the high output pups, I really believe it is overkill with a high gain amp now.

Elpelotero, I'm glad I could help! I'm a bliever now too. When push even more gain into an amp that has more than you could ever need?

I'm curious what you think of the Tremonti in a PRS versus your other guitar. I like my LP with low output hums into my DR but not nearly as much as the Tremonti. Glad you like the #7's, they're one of my favorites!

ibanez4life Hey man. THe Tremonti's that you have in your Ibanez. 2 questions: What are they like? and do they come in a gold covered version?
I'm thinking about putting them in my Gretsch
Thnx man
Hum

trem said:
macmax said:
i only use Tom Anderson Pickups and they are really great

Hi macmax,

Just wondering. Which pickup model are you using, H2+, H3? What guitar are you using the Anderson pickup with? Thanks.

To ibanez, sorry to hijack your thread. Nice guitar btw.

I am using a H3 as a humbucker and if i am not mistaken and recall correctly 2 sd's.

The guitar is a 35th annyversary Fender Ultra, but to tell you the truth , this guitar sounds like nothing i have heard before.

Just to give you some insight on it, i have been offered Gibsons, PRS, T A, A P Suhr and whatever you may think of for this guitar.

Also , 3 of my friends bought the same model because they heard mine and sold afterwards because none sounded like this, i told them, because when i bought it i wanted this one from the beginning and the guy at SA didn't want to sell me this one, but one of the others they had in stock, to teh point that i had to call the manager and almost start a fight with them back in 1991

I don't know why this guitar sounds like this , ask Extasyguy in HC, he heard it and offered me one $1800 Ibanez and a Carvin at the same time for it.
What i mean is that this guitar is not your typical Fender, it growls, it bites it does it all, maybe the guy that sanded it had something bad going on and he put all of his Blues in here, so i am using the TA's i just don't know if the tonal characteristics would be the same on another Fender guitar.

Sorry for writing so much, hope that whole explanation helps

You know Plat, I'm really curious too....it's just quite the hastle to swap the pups....I wish all pups were quick connect like EMGs :(

ibanez4life SZ! said:
You know Plat, I'm really curious too....it's just quite the hastle to swap the pups....I wish all pups were quick connect like EMGs :(

Sweet axe btw, I'm surprised it's Blue Matteo, that's what mine is and ours look very different indeed!

prs.jpg

I wonder if it's your cam, that sucker is HARD to get a good pic of! Yours looks rather turqoise, great flame too. Is that a BRW neck?

What'd you have to sell to get that pup :p

Here's a better picture of the actual color:

DSCF0768.jpg

The flash on my camera really altered the color for some reason....

Nope...normal neck....just the natural part of the blue matteo.

What do you mean what did I have to sell to get that pup? :?:

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Here's a better picture of the actual color:

DSCF0768.jpg

The flash on my camera really altered the color for some reason....

Nope...normal neck....just the natural part of the blue matteo.

What do you mean what did I have to sell to get that pup? :?:

An nice, I figured, mine does the same weird green looking thing too with the flash! Gorgeous finish.

How's the heel on it?

Oh I was just messing around, joking that it probably cost you an arm and a leg. :D

I love the heel....very comfortable and great for upper neck access...

I know what you mean on that...is it even possible?!?!

Uhhh...this whole thing between the 7's and Tremonti is hard.....for clean and medium gain (especially solos), the 7 is amazing! For higher gain, I think the tremonti is superior......

I'm gonna wait till I get my amp to gigging level....but that's not gonna be for another week or two....this is gonna kill me.....

Get yourself a Guitar Bra for that baby before you scratch it all up with your pick. I have one on my Custom 24, and after a year of playing I'm sure glad I have one on there. Its totally removable, and basically the same material that covers the glass on a new wrist watch when you buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guitar-Bra-Removable-Clear-Alternative-Pick-guard-5_W0QQitemZ330050043857QQihZ014QQcategoryZ41424QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem?hash=item330050043857

We opened for a band here in town last thursday...their guitarist left his guitar at the show....we grabbed it for him so no one would swipe it. After I got it home...I opened the case...
A PRS. A nice looking one. a REAL one too not an SE. I could not resist. I plugged it into my recto...started playing........
it sounded dull and dead....the strings were fairly new....but it was not warm....not nice at all....AND it played very poorly for the likes of a PRS. After about 5 minutes...I put it away.
The Gretsch that I paid 700 bux for played 10 times better. Maybe that dude got unlucky or something because I NEVER would have paid 3 grand for that guitar just because it said PRS on it. Not even if Santana himself carved his name into its finish with a pocket knife while he was high on mushrooms. Then I'd have a terrible playing guitar with a crappy finish. :O
Are PRS guitars THAT different from one another? Its the first time I had ever played one that I hated. TOTALLY weird experience.
I'll take yours though. ;)

Hum

Humbility said:
We opened for a band here in town last thursday...their guitarist left his guitar at the show....we grabbed it for him so no one would swipe it. After I got it home...I opened the case...
A PRS. A nice looking one. a REAL one too not an SE. I could not resist. I plugged it into my recto...started playing........
it sounded dull and dead....the strings were fairly new....but it was not warm....not nice at all....AND it played very poorly for the likes of a PRS. After about 5 minutes...I put it away.
The Gretsch that I paid 700 bux for played 10 times better. Maybe that dude got unlucky or something because I NEVER would have paid 3 grand for that guitar just because it said PRS on it. Not even if Santana himself carved his name into its finish with a pocket knife while he was high on mushrooms. Then I'd have a terrible playing guitar with a crappy finish. :O
Are PRS guitars THAT different from one another? Its the first time I had ever played one that I hated. TOTALLY weird experience.
I'll take yours though. ;)

Hum

Not knowing anything about the specs on the guitar, there isn't a single guitar in the PRS lineup that doesn't play incredibly well.. even the SE's I've played have been passible. It's more than likely that it wasn't set up properly at all and/or the pickup combination and your amp's EQ didn't jive.

I'd be curious to know which model if you can remember?

I guess the cheese stands alone. I absolutely hated the #7's in my Singlecuts. I swapped them out almost immediately.

singlecut001.jpg

blackprs.jpg

Latest posts

Back