News about Squeals in Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackpiazza

Reaction score
Owner's manual says that squeal sounds are caused by 1 or more microphonic preamp-tubes..
So today I called the assistance who said that for these Mark V is "normal" have this issues... NORMAL WHAT?

I shipped today my amp to them...and they said maybe will have to modify something in amp... :shock:
why don't they change the preamp tubes and stop?

I'm going crazy...

the first thing i did when i got my mark 5 was swap out the horrible mesa branded jj preamp tubes for tung sol reissues in all positions.....

those tubes make every amp i put them in sound HUGE and add another dimension of sound

to me you dont really hear the amps full tonal potential until you throw some tungsols in ther........i HATE jj preamp tubes, they made every amp i put them in sound dead and stiff

jackpiazza said:
Owner's manual says that squeal sounds are caused by 1 or more microphonic preamp-tubes..
So today I called the assistance who said that for these Mark V is "normal" have this issues... NORMAL WHAT?

I shipped today my amp to them...and they said maybe will have to modify something in amp... :shock:

I'm going crazy...

You paid to ship an amp in to Mesa over a microphonic preamp tube?

For a fraction of the cost you could've retubed it yourself... and had about 10 spares... and enough money left over to go drinking...

As for why it's squealing... you didn't exactly describe the circumstances to us. It is pretty normal for **** to squeal at high gain/volume settings, particularly if you're using unpotted pickups.

screamingdaisy said:
jackpiazza said:

I'm going crazy...

You paid to ship an amp in to Mesa over a microphonic preamp tube?

For a fraction of the cost you could've retubed it yourself... and had about 10 spares... and enough money left over to go drinking...
As for why it's squealing... you didn't exactly describe the circumstances to us. It is pretty normal for sh!t to squeal at high gain/volume settings, particularly if you're using unpotted pickups.

I don't pay nothing because I'm still in warranty period. I tryed to change one tube a time but no results...maybe the problem is more than one tube... I hoped assistance would shipped new tubes to me, but they want me send the amp instead, so... i had to do it.

I did describe sintoms in this old thread: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=48205 and you guys said that is all about microphonic tubes...so why mesa's assistance, did not mention it?

jackpiazza said:
I don't pay nothing because I'm still in warranty period. I tryed to change one tube a time but no results...maybe the problem is more than one tube... I hoped assistance would shipped new tubes to me, but they want me send the amp instead, so... i had to do it.

I did describe sintoms in this old thread: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=48205 and you guys said that is all about microphonic tubes...so why mesa's assistance, did not mention it?

It's hard to say why they wouldn't have mentioned it. Seems weird for them to have you ship the amp back... it would've been cheaper for them to simply give you new tubes.

screamingdaisy said:
jackpiazza said:

It's hard to say why they wouldn't have mentioned it. Seems weird for them to have you ship the amp back... it would've been cheaper for them to simply give you new tubes.

exactly...first thing they said were " All mark V have this issue, they squeals. It's like mesa wants Mark V in this way so if you send your amp back for this reason is completely unhelpfull"

Are they kidding me??

Does anybody own a Mark V that does not squeal?

jackpiazza said:
screamingdaisy said:
jackpiazza said:

exactly...first thing they said were " All mark V have this issue, they squeals. It's like mesa wants Mark V in this way so if you send your amp back for this reason is completely unhelpfull"

Are they kidding me??

Does anybody own a Mark V that does not squeal?
Maybe you misunderstood them, mine doesn't squeal unless i'm using it wrong.

Scary said:

does your mark squeal setting it in these ways?

guitar and all pedals unplugged:

1) - channel 1, mode clean 90W (bold on)
- EQ and gain flat (h12:00),
- Loop ON
- Master h12:00
- Master from 13:30 to max

2) - same as above but:
- Master h15:00
- Ouput h11:00 or above

Mine's squeals even with gain rolled completely off... but I can put all controls at MAX with channel 2 and 3 and no problem

If you (and everyone else) would please try these settings you would do a big favor to me!

in hope :oops:

jackpiazza said:
Scary said:

does your mark squeal setting it in these ways?

guitar and all pedals unplugged:

1) - channel 1, mode clean 90W (bold on)
- EQ and gain flat (h12:00),
- Loop ON
- Master h12:00
- Master from 13:30 to max

2) - same as above but:
- Master h15:00
- Ouput h11:00 or above

Mine's squeals even with gain rolled completely off... but I can put all controls at MAX with channel 2 and 3 and no problem

If you (and everyone else) would please try these settings you would do a big favor to me!

in hope :oops:

At those stadium volumes I do hear some noise that sounds like a ringing sort of tone. It's the same I get from my Mark IV and JCM 900. I think if I had an expensive power conditioner it may help. It's definetly the power in my house or some outside interference.

Scary said:
At those stadium volumes I do hear some noise that sounds like a ringing sort of tone. It's the same I get from my Mark IV and JCM 900. I think if I had an expensive power conditioner it may help. It's definetly the power in my house or some outside interference.

so, no squeals right? Can you raise up to max all controls in channel 1 without any squeals just like channel 2 and 3?

jackpiazza said:
Scary said:

so, no squeals right? Can you raise up to max all controls in channel 1 without any squeals just like channel 2 and 3?

I can crank channel 1's gain and master with no squeal. When I also crank the output master, I get a slight squeal after about 2 or 3 o'clock.

bird_droppings said:
jackpiazza said:
Scary said:

I can crank channel 1's gain and master with no squeal. When I also crank the output master, I get a slight squeal after about 2 or 3 o'clock.

thank you very much for this precious information!

if somebody else wants to share with us other results, would be very appreciated

Latest posts

Back