newbie mark IV questions help!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davyk

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Just joined the forum this morning after purchasing a mark IV A, its a wood finish whicker front model from 1990 I think.
Anyway I need a bit of help with a few things
1: I removed the amp from the chasis to clean pots as they were very crackly as the amp was in a shed for this last 3 years and when i done so I damaged what looks like 2 springy type clips that were screwed to the underside of the lid of the chasis are these important and where do I get replacements.
2: i tried linking my Pod X3 Live using the 4 cable method (as advised by a friend of mine) and found that by doing so I have no control of the knobs on the amp or when i change channels with the footswitch the lights for the channels change but the channels sound the same, the only thing on the amp that works is main slider eq and master volume (maybe this is normal).can anyone inform me of the correct way to link this pod to the amp to have all the functions of the amp as well ie, channel eq, channel changing etc.
3: This is my first tube amp and was wondering if it is normal for noise . ie the occasional pop click type of thing and buzz at lead channel, and does the reverb change itself when you add more channel gain etc.

Hope i havent asked too much questions for my first post but would appreciate any help.

Davy.

Davyk said:
Hi Everyone,
Just joined the forum this morning after purchasing a mark IV A, its a wood finish whicker front model from 1990 I think.
Anyway I need a bit of help with a few things
1: I removed the amp from the chasis to clean pots as they were very crackly as the amp was in a shed for this last 3 years and when i done so I damaged what looks like 2 springy type clips that were screwed to the underside of the lid of the chasis are these important and where do I get replacements.

Those springy copper finger things are a connection between the chassis and the foil on the underside of the top of the cabinet. The foil acts as a shield against noise. They often get bent when the chassis is removed, but you should be able to gently straighten them out. They don't need to look perfect.

DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING INSIDE THE CHASSIS.
YOU CAN ELECTROCUTE YOURSELF IF YOU ARE NOT VERY CAREFUL.
YES, EVEN IF THE AMP IS UN-PLUGGED AND TURNED OFF.

2: i tried linking my Pod X3 Live using the 4 cable method (as advised by a friend of mine) and found that by doing so I have no control of the knobs on the amp or when i change channels with the footswitch the lights for the channels change but the channels sound the same, the only thing on the amp that works is main slider eq and master volume (maybe this is normal).can anyone inform me of the correct way to link this pod to the amp to have all the functions of the amp as well ie, channel eq, channel changing etc.

Check connections between the Pod and the amp.
It should look like this:
Guitar --> Pod Input --> Pod Effect Send --> Amp Input -->
Amp Effect Send --> Pod Effect Return -->
Pod Output --> Amp Effect Return.

3: This is my first tube amp and was wondering if it is normal for noise . ie the occasional pop click type of thing and buzz at lead channel, and does the reverb change itself when you add more channel gain etc.

This sounds normal.

Congrats on choosing what is arguably the best amp in the world. :wink:
My only suggestion is to learn the amp first without the POD.

Thanks for your replies guys, Got sorted with the 4 cable method, turns out you have to adjust the pod for post effects loop, done this and everything working.
Finally decided though to go straight into amp from pod as distortion from 4CM sounded awful.

Thanks again
Davy

Only use that pod for Fx( reverb, delays, chorus ...) only ( no discussing digital distortion,compressor)
you got one of the worlds best amp in your hands, be gentle with it and learn it one step at the time, it's really all you need and will ever need in one box.

Learn the amp without the Pod, the more you'll use it the more you'll figure how less effects you need. I know it may sound "stock" but the more you improve using your amp+your guitar volume/tone knobs the more you'll figure out how to get good tones without having to mess the amp tone with external effects (regardeless the quality of the fx unit). Have fun, you got a jewel there :)

dearlpitts said:
Only use that pod for Fx( reverb, delays, chorus ...) only ( no discussing digital distortion,compressor)

I just want to use the Pod for those effects, i wouldnt even dream of using distortion now when i hear the boogie channels, but i am having one major headache at the moment.
The reverb voicing on the amp is a bit confusing. for example:
I have the reverb set about 3/4 on back of amp and sounds great in clean channel, I switch to rhy 2 channel (crunch sound with a bit more channel gain) and the reverb sounds more intense, then when i go to lead (which is really driven) the reverb is off the scale. (sounds like playing in a cavern ).
I plan to use the pod only for delay, chorus, etc and have the amp modeler bypassed and tried many different ways to connect to boogie.
I tried going straight in to front of amp and the same thing happens when i switch channels , if i have a nice delay on pod in Rhy 1 , it changes intensity when i go into the other channels on boogie its driving me mad.
Also (and its prob down to me being unfamiliar with the amp and prob having channels set up wrong) I seem to be getting a bit of bass end distortion "farting" only happens on drive channels and on the low E and A strings , tube prob maybe?

dearlpitts said:
mk iv cool -u got pictures?

img1485to.jpg

img1486s.jpg

Def something wrong with rythm 2 and lead channel , i have a couple of spare groove tubes 12ax7 any suggestions as what to try

Davy

Congratulations on owning my amp's twin :)

Re the reverb, check that you have a 12AT7 not a 12AX7 in the appropriate place (V5? I'm away from home right now so can't check). The Mark IVb changed the reverb tube to 12AX7 I believe but the IVa is different.

And re the bass flabbiness, you need to have it set a lot lower than you expect. I run mine at about 2. You can then make up for it by pushing it up in the GEQ but the tone stack is per-gain so pushing too much bass at the front makes it flabby.

Hi Kiwiaxe,
thanks for your reply, will check the reverb tube tomorrow. Thanks for the tip regarding the bass flabiness, will keep the bass down low and see how i get on.

Used the Mark IV over the weekend for a few gigs and have to say it is a fantastic amp, really happy with it.

Perhaps you or anyone else could check something else for me as well,

When i bought the amp the guy selling informed me that i need to get a valve shield (v1) as the one that was originally fitted was lost. I contacted mesa boogie uk and they sent me a replacement shield.
It arrived yesterday but i am having trouble fitting it. Its like a silver cylinder with a spring inside, when i try to put it over the tube the spring pushes it off again, maybe I am doing something wrong, does it need to twist on? sorry if this is a silly question but its all new to me.

Thanks again

Davy.

Davyk said:
Hi Kiwiaxe,
thanks for your reply, will check the reverb tube tomorrow. Thanks for the tip regarding the bass flabiness, will keep the bass down low and see how i get on.

Used the Mark IV over the weekend for a few gigs and have to say it is a fantastic amp, really happy with it.

Perhaps you or anyone else could check something else for me as well,

When i bought the amp the guy selling informed me that i need to get a valve shield (v1) as the one that was originally fitted was lost. I contacted mesa boogie uk and they sent me a replacement shield.
It arrived yesterday but i am having trouble fitting it. Its like a silver cylinder with a spring inside, when i try to put it over the tube the spring pushes it off again, maybe I am doing something wrong, does it need to twist on? sorry if this is a silly question but its all new to me.

Thanks again

Davy.

Crikey that's a question I don't know the answer to off hand. Pushes and screws on by memory but I never had any issue with it.

Davyk said:
Its like a silver cylinder with a spring inside, when i try to put it over the tube the spring pushes it off again, maybe I am doing something wrong, does it need to twist on? sorry if this is a silly question but its all new to me.

Thanks again

Davy.

When pushed, turn it a little bit clockwise (If I remember correctly). Some new tubes like the latest TungSols (I think) are too big to fit in the regular V1 shield.

Edit:Typo

Latest posts

Back