(newb question) Can I use the 5:25 to power a 4x12 cabinet?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iohanr

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and a new owner of an Express 5:25. Every now and then I see on Craigslist some Recto Cabs for around $500 to $600. If I buy one of these, will the 5:25 be able to drive the cabinet? I realize it would look kind of goofy to plop the 1x10 combo on top of a 4x12 cabinet, but just wondering if it's feasible... (I guess it could also just be sitting on the side of it).

The idea is basically to get thicker, chunkier, "airier" (is that a word?) sound, especially when playing high gain stuff (either on the burn channel or using pedals). I love the combo right now as is, but it would be great to have some flexibility going forward.

I also noticed there is a dedicated 1x10 matching cabinet that you can put the 5:25 on top of, in essence creating a "micro-stack". Does this just add more volume or does the sound get thicker/chunkier as well?

Thanks!

Hello iohanr,

Welcome to the Boogie Family.
I also have the 5:25 1 x 10" Combo.

I am pretty sure you can add a Quad box, but it would best run at 4ohms. The 5:25 has plenty of power to power what ever you give it. I had a Marshall - JVM410C and have not been able to get the Boogie past 2 on the master volume.

I also added a Speaker Cab under my Combo.

I have heard a lot about Thiele Cabs, they give the bottom end thump of a quad box, plus adds volume to your sound, easy to carry, doesn't looks dicky on stage.

I opted for a Boogafunk Cab, they get great reviews. They are based on the original EV TL086 design, plus they come with a gig proof coating. In Australia we are limited in what we get, plus the price is double or triple some times.

Have a look at my post on New stuff, I have a couple of pics of the cab.

Mesa also make the Thiele cabs, so plenty to chose from.

Hope that helps,

Gezza.

Hi iohanr,

I don't think you will have any problems connecting your 5:25 combo to a 4x12 cab especially if it's a Mesa cab. Mesa offers a variety of output options for that amp and the owners manual also explains that you can actually mismatch the output and speaker impedance if you want to change the sound of your amp. Note that the owne's manual states that mismatched impedance loads in the low direction (page 11) can shorten the life of the output tubes. I have the 5:50 head and I use the 8 ohm output to drive my mesa 4x12 Stiletto cab. I don't gig so I didn't worry about weight. I only use it at the 5 watt setting turned way up and I love the feel and sound of the 4x12 cab moving all that air. Much better than the single speaker of a combo! IMO.

Latest posts

Back