Newb needing help with SRV tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfguitar

Reaction score
I am struggling to find a way to get the FAT SRV tone that we all desire. My dad loves mesas and we own 3.

We have a Mesa Roadking 2 Dual rectifier, a Mesa Mark IV, and a Mesa Rectoverb.

I will be trying to get the SRV tone with the Mark IV as I will have it with me at school. I also have a custom ERG strat which sounds great. I put 11s on it as well and tuned half a step lower.

As for other equipment the only thing I have that might contribute to his tone is a Boss Chorus pedal. I also own 2 Boss delays, a phase 90, Boss blues driver, a little big muff, a compression pedal (which I never really use lol).

Can anyone help me out?

Your best bet is the Mark IV on CH1 or 2 with a midboost OD like a tubescreamer and lots of volume.

The blues driver should do just fine.. volume at noon, gain at 9, tone to taste.

Another thing which may help you, SRV put a fair amount of duct tape on the grills of some of his amps pretty much like a poor man’s “Beam Blocker” http://www.webervst.com/blocker.html But there again “Beam Blockers” are based on what people have been doing years with the duct tape.

You may want to research The Walter Trout Band as he uses the MK IV and gets a ripping SRV tone. He is listed on the Boogie site under artists. I'm going to see him live soon and will try to get some info as my buddy will be doing sound. I don't play strats anymore but with my old IV I could get close!

SRV tone = Strat, neck pickup + Tube Screamer + cranked Fender amp. Boost highs, cut lows.
Great, now you sound just like Kenny-Ray Stevie-Joe Bonna-Wayne Vaughn-herd.

Start every day with cocaine dissolved in cheap whisky...

...progress from there!

Oh, and avoid helicopters! :twisted:

Lou said:
Gruffnutz said:
Start every day with cocaine dissolved in cheap whisky...

...progress from there!

Oh, and avoid helicopters! :twisted:

SRV died sober

Well, there's a lesson-- sobriety never pays. :lol:

CoG said:
Lou said:
SRV died sober

Yeah, I'm sure Randy Rhodes faired much better. Or Clif Burton, or otis redding, or Lynrd Skynrd, or the big bopper, Buddy holly, that lou diamond la bamba guy, or.....

carlsoti said:
CoG said:
Lou said:
SRV died sober

Yeah, I sure Randy Rhodes faired much better. Or Clif Burton, or otis redding, or Lynrd Skynrd, or the big bopper, Buddy holly, that lou diamond la bamba guy, or.....
If you're gonna get high, do it chemically, not aeronautically. :wink:

Latest posts

Back