New vs. Old Mesa 2X12 Vertical Cabinets

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff5

Reaction score
So I have the opportunity to buy an older Mesa Vertical 2X12. It has the metal grill, Black Shadow on top and Vintage 30 on the bottom. The top is closed off but I can open it again. I'm not sure if I should jump on this or wait to find a newer Vertical 2X12 with all Vintage 30s.

What are your thoughts on these cabinets versus the new vertical 2X12s with all Vintage 30s?

I've got one of those 80's half back cabinets. I love it. Mine has the MC-90 on top and an EVM-12L in the closed bottom. My recollection (and I hope I don't get flamed for this) is that the closed bottom was designed to be close to a Thiele dimension, so intended to sound and act like an EVM loaded Thiele. To me, that combination yields a great combination of clarity, warmth and presence. I had the matching 4x12, and there wasn't much difference in tone between the two.

That said, I am not a fan of the V30 in that cabinet at all. I don't think it generates the low end punch and depth/richness that can be achieved with that closed bottom half.

I did have a horizontal mondern 2x12 with V30's. If you play hard rock, and metal and plenty of chugga chugga, I suspect the V30 pounds through. But, I don't. I play a wide range of music, and the V30's are too mid forward and too narrow sounding to my ears as compared to the MC-90 and EVM, which are the other very common speakers that come "stock" or often seen in all these cabinets.

Latest posts

Back