New Tung Sol RI's in my Mark IV today

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmiller9999

Reaction score
I put some new Tung Sol reissues in my Mesa Mark IV today. The original Mesa tubes were okay I guess, but the new tubes seem more balanced and "centered" - especially in channel 2 (drive channel). The fats, especially, are more pronounced and clear vs. formerly muddy.

I know the real tweakers use a "magic" mix of tubes in the front end of their Mesas, but these three Tung Sols make V1, V2 and V3 really sound great.

Thats pretty cool. I've noticed my RHY 2 can get kinda muddy sometimes so this might be something to try!

i dont know if its just the one i have but when i tried one in V1 v2 of my MIV its kinda like it looses a whole bunch of power .I have the same one in the PI and really love it there..

I've never had my IV sound better than it does right now with a handful of NOS tubes. Preamp tubes make such a difference, I can't emphasize it enough.

Fronzil said:
I've never had my IV sound better than it does right now with a handful of NOS tubes. Preamp tubes make such a difference, I can't emphasize it enough.
+1
I've got 3 NOS RCA 12AX7's and 2 NOS Motorola (Rebranded GE's AFAIK) in my Mark IV, and it sounds far better than it did with all JJ's.
You can get them cheap quite regularly on eBay, even if they aren't that great, most will still be better than modern production tubes.

Preamp tubes make such a difference, I can't emphasize it enough

absolutely , i have been experimenting with the first 3 tubes various NOS and the difference between these and the mesa labelled ones was night and day. and these are not expensive nos tubes just ebay bought... i have swapped back and forth justmake sure its not placebo.. No way , nos preamps rule..

I will collect NOS tubes now constantly i love them... they just sound so much better.

edmiller9999 said:
I put some new Tung Sol reissues in my Mesa Mark IV today. The original Mesa tubes were okay I guess, but the new tubes seem more balanced and "centered" - especially in channel 2 (drive channel). The fats, especially, are more pronounced and clear vs. formerly muddy.

I know the real tweakers use a "magic" mix of tubes in the front end of their Mesas, but these three Tung Sols make V1, V2 and V3 really sound great.
For a real treat try some vintage Tung Sols.

james1974 said:
Preamp tubes make such a difference, I can't emphasize it enough

absolutely , i have been experimenting with the first 3 tubes various NOS and the difference between these and the mesa labelled ones was night and day. and these are not expensive nos tubes just ebay bought... i have swapped back and forth justmake sure its not placebo.. No way , nos preamps rule..

I will collect NOS tubes now constantly i love them... they just sound so much better.

I too - have embarked.

I almost sold my Mark IV, but luckily dropped a Tung Sol in V1 before I did....made it SOOOO much better....perfect amp for what it does now IMO.

Eric

Back