[New tubes] Need to check bias with Tone Selected tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mario Verkerk

Reaction score
Hi,

I'll try to keep this story short and understandable... I'm from the Netherlands so bear with me.

My Triple Rectifier needs new power tubes. The bass is getting muddy and the overall sound is getting darker. Amp is build in 2005, I own it for about 1,5 years now. Use it every day at home for about 60 min on average and 1 day in the week it goes on for 6 hours at band rehearsal.

So, I think I need new power tubes.
At first I thought; I'll just buy Mesa Tone Selected tubes from JJ, choose a color-code and put them in my Triple Rec. But, now the confusion comes in... Many stores and guys on the internet tell me it isn't that simple. They tell me I have to be lucky with a matched sextet and that I need to check (and maybe adjust) the bias. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the point of Mesa Tone Selected tubes and a fixed bias, that you don't have to check anything, as long the set is matched?

Please help! This is getting so confusing. How do I re-tube my amp correctly?

Well first of all you are correct. Any matched tubes that are rated for a Mesa (when you order you will simply just say 'tubes are for a Triple Rectifier' in the comment box) are perfectly fine.

Secondly, whoever told you that you need to check the bias and possibly adjust it obviously knows very little about how Mesa Boogie's operate. They are indeed fixed bias. You simply get the correctly-rated tubes and pop them in. If you decide to buy actual Mesa Boogie-branded tubes, you just simply order them and pop them in. They will already be ready for your amp.

I HIGHLY recommend ordering tubes from one of the tube houses online (TubeDepot.com, Tubestore.com, etc.), that way you will get a quality product from people who are well-versed in tubes and tube amps.

Hope that helps.

I personally do not like JJ tubes. I think their preamp tubes are very muddy and I had problems with their power tubes blowing after about 3 weeks worth of use (they sounded decent when they worked though). But again, that is just from my own personal experiences and everyone has different experiences.

I personally prefer the Electro Harmonix 6L6 (http://www.tonefactory.nl/shop2/6l6gc-platinum-matched-p-933.html) over just about all modern power tubes. Good tone, and very good price.

At any rate, I do not wish to steer you away from one tube or another. Try lots of power tubes and see what you like!

hi i am in the same boat,
If you replace tubes with matched but non mesa then is there a danger of damaging the amp?
or if the tubers are matched is it good to go?

thanks

You are talking about two separate things.

You want ALL of the power tubes matched in relation to each other. Meaning they do not differentiate too much from one tube to the other.

Once they do match, you then need all of the tubes bias point to be within Mesa specs.

So for example if Mesa amps take a tube rated at 25ma, you can still get a matched set that would all be at 35ma and not be compatible with your amp.

So when you order new power tubes from a reputable source (see post above for tube houses), you select 'matched' (normally they will be matched automatically) and then in the comments tell them the tubes are for a 'Mesa xxx'.

Make sense?

http://www.dougstubes.com/power-tubes/6l6-5881-kt66/ruby-6l6-gcmstr.html

If you're into metal these are decent tubes....

And they are what Mesa use....

Latest posts

Back