New to the Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAMz

Reaction score
Folks I just got my MkV and have a couple of questions. This one is a second hand amp so I want to make sure that everything is working fine.

1. On CH3 with the Gain at 3:00 I can hear the mechanical sound coming from the guitar. Example; you cab hear the when sliding the 5 way on my guitar. I suspect I might have a micro phonic preamp tube. That brings me to my second question.

2.What are you guys doing in order to check/replace pre tubes. I have the head and it seems like a nightmare to access the pre tubes. I've read that taking out the reverb tank might be it.

3. When putting the amp on stand by and taking it out of stand by does your amp "pops" lightly?

4. I asked this on another post,....When using the amp's foot switch and you're switching from Ch1 to Ch3, does Ch2 on your amp briefly light up?

Thanks for your input.

the preamp tubes are a bit difficult to get to.....i had a bad tube once but I was able to get to it by removing the back protective grill and then one of the power tubes. did not have to remove the reverb tank.

3. When putting the amp on stand by and taking it out of stand by does your amp "pops" lightly?

My amp does the same thing, so I believe it's normal. I have been running at 10W/Tweed for a while, so I don't recall if the pop goes away when you switch to higher power.

About the popping sound I found that it does it only on the 10w setting. So I guess it must be due the rectifier tube. I have a 70's Fender Vibrolux Reverb that has the same 5U4 rectifier tube and does the same popping.

Hi, I'm a new Mark V owner myself, got my brand new head 8 days ago!!

I haven't had to change tubes yet, but wouldn't it be easier to remove the chassis from the amp to replace the tubes? That's how I've always done it in other amps, anyway.

"Authorized Boogie" gives instructions in this post: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=65254#p449056

...About point #1. I had a buddy came over with his Mk V today and we were able to compare them. His does the exact same thing. I guess is not a bad tube is just the tons of gain present at this channel.

Latest posts

Back