New to the forum..."ex-Marshall JVM user"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goestoeleven

Reaction score
Hi all-

I'm a new Stiletto Deuce Stage I owner & this is my first post. I sold my Marshall JVM after two years and bought the Stiletto used. I really liked the JVM but found I spent 90% of my time in "Crunch Orange". I also worried about the build quality of the amp long-term. For those curious about the comparison...

The good:
-Great clean channel. The digital reverb (selectable for each channel) helped as it was a good studio reverb.
-Great Crunch Channel
-Smart footswitch design for channel changing, fx loop, second master volume for boost, etc.

The bad:
-OD channels 1&2(in "orange and red" modes) require a noise gate BIG TIME....I think ISP has sold a Decimator to just about EVERY JVM owner and owes Marshall a Thank-You card :D
-Build quality is suspect
-Versitile yes, but I prefer the Stiletto's features: variac, 50/100 settings / switchable rectifier, etc.

I think speaker choice is WAY more critical to the Stiletto. I've played the JVM with standard Marshall 1960 cabs, Vintage 30-loaded cabs and finaly settled on the 1960ahw (handwired cab) which I'm now using with the Stiletto. With the JVM all cabs sounded good...I suspect I wouldn't feel that way with the Stiletto, as it's a brighter, more "immediate" amp. This part of my post was repeated under "speaker choices" but here goes:
My cab:

boogiebsmt.jpg

It's loaded with G12H30 (Heritages NOT 70th Anniversary Heritages). I've read a few disconcerting posts on this forum saying that the Stiletto is too "shrill" "bright" "raspy" etc. Vintage 30s IMO have ice-pick highs to start with (especially until they're broken in) so I wonder if a "woodier speaker" like the Heritage's in my cab are the answer. I think so :)

I play mainly classic rock and "live" in Channel I Crunch in the Stiletto. Personally, this one channel alone is worth the price of the amp for me. I leave my Klon on with the gain completely off for added "girth" and add additional gain with my OCD. For solos I kick on my MXR/CAE boost or use fluid drive on Ch2. So far, so good. Anyone else used Heritage's or Greenbacks with the Stiletto :?: Any other guys ditch their JVM for a Stiletto or compare the two :?: Peace.

-GTE

Not to completely spoilt the party, but if you can, try hunting for the second version instead of the first... 8)

goestoeleven said:
I play mainly classic rock and "live" in Channel I Crunch in the Stiletto. Personally, this one channel alone is worth the price of the amp for me...

I've been preaching this ever since I got my Stiletto Deuce Series I back in the day...Series I, Channel 1 "Crunch" is the best mode on the amp and a hidden and often over-looked treasure. I agree they could make that mode a one channel amp for a cheap price and people would probably buy it.

I disagree with that statement above. If you're a classic rock guy, Series I, Channel 1 "Crunch" is probably the mode for you, and that's from Series I and Series II combined.

Silverwulf said:
goestoeleven said:
I play mainly classic rock and "live" in Channel I Crunch in the Stiletto. Personally, this one channel alone is worth the price of the amp for me...

I've been preaching this ever since I got my Stiletto Deuce Series I back in the day...Series I, Channel 1 "Crunch" is the best mode on the amp and a hidden and often over-looked treasure. I agree they could make that mode a one channel amp for a cheap price and people would probably buy it.

I disagree with that statement above. If you're a classic rock guy, Series I, Channel 1 "Crunch" is probably the mode for you, and that's from Series I and Series II combined.

Thanks Silverwulf. Based on my research I agree...seems the Series I / CH1 Crunch is perfect for my needs. Since I bought the amp in mint shape for $900 I'm pretty happy.

Welcome to the "Board" goestoeleven! Nice lookin' rig!

I pretty much "live" on the crunch mode too as a classic rock guy.
Since I use channel one for my cleans (Fat mode) I've been using the crunch mode on the second channel.
I feel like I am in the minority though. What does channel one crunch have over channel two crunch?

Riff Blister said:
...I feel like I am in the minority though. What does channel one crunch have over channel two crunch?

Series I and Series II (which it looks like you have per your sig) have different "Crunch" modes in them, and the Series I actually had different sounding "Crunch" modes on Channel 1 and Channel 2. The Series I, Channel 1 "Crunch" is more old school, Marshall Plexi-ish in vibe. It's a great sounding mode. It's more "vintage" than the same modes on Series II, which were JCM 800-ish to me.

Silverwulf said:
Riff Blister said:
...I feel like I am in the minority though. What does channel one crunch have over channel two crunch?

Series I and Series II (which it looks like you have per your sig) have different "Crunch" modes in them, and the Series I actually had different sounding "Crunch" modes on Channel 1 and Channel 2. The Series I, Channel 1 "Crunch" is more old school, Marshall Plexi-ish in vibe. It's a great sounding mode. It's more "vintage" than the same modes on Series II, which were JCM 800-ish to me.

Since I don't have a Series II, I can only compare the Crunch on Ch1 and Ch2 on my Series I. I really can't find a Crunch setting on Ch2 that is voiced "right" for me. So I'm using the Channel I Crunch like a plexi, and getting my cleans with the volume knob on my guitars. Since I never play "squeaky clean" :p anyway, I'm happy using it as a one trick pony...roll the volume down for cleans, up for crunch. That said, I do like kicking in the fluid drive on Ch2 for thick, gainy solos. So far it's the only use I have for Channel 2.

Welcome to the Board!
I am fairly new here as well and a new Stiletto Trident (50w-150w) Series 1 owner. I'm finally getting used to the live tube sound again after playing solid state for the last 20 odd years. I'm all set with this rig except for a good speaker bottom. I now use a boost up front and a EQ in the loop and it really tightens it up quite a bit. I usually play thru the ch1 crunch and ch2 fluid drive for more solo boost if needed. I've also found that is I set the solo output just a tad higher it's a little louder that may be needed for some solo work.

You can read about my rollercoaster ride with this amp in my "Trident" post. I think some of it is that my ears are not used to a smooth analog sound AND this amp makes me have to play better; no covering up mistakes. The tone lately has even been inspirational to learn new tunes and even some original stuff.

Enjoy and keep us posted!

Tom

I agree they could make that mode a one channel amp for a cheap price and people would probably buy it.[/quote]

Electradyne? Maybe they did. I could honestly be talking out my arse, I don't really know much about either amp. Thoughts?

seems I'm the only guy out there that likes Fat Clean (gain at 2:00) with an Xotic pedal (gain at 10:00) in front to crunch it. No matter what combination I try, I get the best and fattest crunch out of the amp for classic rock in that mode (IMO). I've gotta go back and try Ch 1 crunch again because all of my esteemed Stiletto colleagues sure love it. But every time I do it's seems so empty, and I jump back to Fat Clean & step on my AC+. Last weekend at a gig I thought about it, flipped Ch 1 to crunch, and it seemed like a bony old lady compared to that big fat hoss sound I'm used to. It actually scared me.

goestoeleven said:
Silverwulf said:
Riff Blister said:

Since I don't have a Series II, I can only compare the Crunch on Ch1 and Ch2 on my Series I. I really can't find a Crunch setting on Ch2 that is voiced "right" for me. So I'm using the Channel I Crunch like a plexi, and getting my cleans with the volume knob on my guitars. Since I never play "squeaky clean" :p anyway, I'm happy using it as a one trick pony...roll the volume down for cleans, up for crunch. That said, I do like kicking in the fluid drive on Ch2 for thick, gainy solos. So far it's the only use I have for Channel 2.

Welcome aboard!!

that's EXACTLY the way i set up my Deuce series I 8)

i cant stress enough how i love crunch I. it has a full character and what impresses me most is how responsive it is to dynamics, you can go for a full set with just it and your volume knob and youre done.

i dont know if it's the gainier character of channel II, but the crunch II dont have that versatility as well it is more brighter, no matter you turn your presence and treble knobs.

BTW, schweeet rig! ROCKNROLL!

jab said:
seems I'm the only guy out there that likes Fat Clean (gain at 2:00) with an Xotic pedal (gain at 10:00) in front to crunch it. No matter what combination I try, I get the best and fattest crunch out of the amp for classic rock in that mode (IMO). I've gotta go back and try Ch 1 crunch again because all of my esteemed Stiletto colleagues sure love it. But every time I do it's seems so empty, and I jump back to Fat Clean & step on my AC+. Last weekend at a gig I thought about it, flipped Ch 1 to crunch, and it seemed like a bony old lady compared to that big fat hoss sound I'm used to. It actually scared me.

Bro, it's cause you have to think of crunch as old marshalls, where you has to turn the **** thing loud! LOL!

i mean, try to turn the master (and yes, please turn that **** loop off, i dont believe how it can suck your tone :? ) to 12-1 o´clock and you'll check those growling mids and chest type bass, where you actually feel it than play some good ol' 70s-80s riffs and prepare to be amazed.

I haven't owned a JVM or a Stiletto.....but I just wanted to throw this out there>

Since '88 I'd been using the same Marshall 4x12 with whatever amp I was using at the time. Whenever I got a new amp, I tried & tried to get a better cabinet than that road-worn Marshall....but nothing (not even other Marshall 4x12s I tried) could compare with it. UNTIL I got my D.R. Trem-O-Verb. The oh-so variable and complex EQ of the Mesa just never did well with that cabinet that made every other amp sound better through it.
My hours of searching led me to a Mesa over-sized recto 4x12. More than other brands, Mesa amps seem to mesh really well with their cabs.

vigo1999: I'll bet you're right. I play with masters and output around 10:00, and use my effects loop for delays/eq. If I got any louder my band mates would be like "WTF, you think you're the only guy in the band or something"? I'll try it in the basement just for fun.

jab said:
vigo1999: I'll bet you're right. I play with masters and output around 10:00, and use my effects loop for delays/eq. If I got any louder my band mates would be like "WTF, you think you're the only guy in the band or something"? I'll try it in the basement just for fun.

Exactly...I agree w/ Vigo here. Master is set a noon-1pm (50 watt setting); gain at 1-2pm. Sounds awesome :twisted:

OK brothers, so you might have made me a believer. I did some serious comparisons last night for the first time.
Channel 1 Crunch vs Channel 2 Crunch (the way I have always had it set). I started Channel 1 with the sample settings from the manual "Brown Crunch" and tweeked it from there to my liking. Both channel masters set at 1:00. gain settings at 2:00. I have to give the Channel 1 a big fat thumbs up. Go figure!

I didn't think I would want to loose my "Fat Clean" mode so I never really pursued the crunch but I am going to try it.

Oh yeah, when I added a little extra gain using an Expandora OD pedal I got awful close to that Billy Gibbons "Rhythmeen" tone. One of my favorites! :evil:

Thanks!

riffblister: where was your output on Ch 1 crunch? Does it need to get really loud to sound good?

Hey jab what’s up?

This is the part I’m not fond of when discussing sound / tone on a forum. What I’m hearing and like somebody else my not. What the hell, it may be a starting point for something you do like.
I am running my amp through a Z AirBrake to knock down some of the volume but I had my output set around 9:00 to 10:00. The Master at around 1:00, Gain around 2:00. I would not call that super loud.
The point of my last post was that I discovered that I really did like the Channel 1 crunch better than the Channel 2 version that I have been using.
Let us know if you “uncork” something cool.

Without getting too lengthy I should say I have a new set Doug's preamp tubes and a new set of Mullard reissue EL34s. I think the Mullards are smoothing things out a bit too. :)

I wonder how much crunch 1 on the original stiletto compares to the britt on the original roadking, I love my britt on the roadking, sounds so marshall, so great. I need to get silverwolf over as he remembers it.

siggy14 said:
I wonder how much crunch 1 on the original stiletto compares to the britt on the original roadking, I love my britt on the roadking, sounds so marshall, so great. I need to get silverwolf over as he remembers it.

I found it different sounding. The Brit mode sounded more like a fatter and clearer sounding version of a Marshall Vintage Modern, whereas the Crunch 1 was generally brighter sounding...

Latest posts

Back