New to the Boogie World

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimwratt

Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking about ditching my marshall tsl combo and grabbing a mesa. From my searches so far, I've been thinking of getting a Lonestar classic combo, a Mark IV combo, or an F30 half stack (212 cab). Also on the list is a stilletto but I'm more partial to the amps that offer selectable low wattages because I live in an apartment.

For budgetary reasons, I'm looking into the used market almost exclusively. My main question is about what good prices are for the amps Im looking at (especially the mark iv combo).

I'm also on the fence about making the leap from the combo world to the stack. Ive never owned a head of a cabinet so I'm trying to figre out if I should go after a more affordable mesa head and obtain a cab from elsewhere of if I should just go after a mesa combo. The main benefit of the head for me is that once I make that leap, its cheaper and easier to change amps. Also, heads are easier to transport if the venue already has a cab. Should I use this as a chance to get a head (pardon the pun) or to stay with combos.

Also, at present I have an attenuator that is rated at 50 watts, so I know it would help with the F30 option above. I might sell it and get one with a higher rating depending on which amp I actually go with. The amps I'm most excited about are the ones with sellectable power ratings below 30 watts (Lonestar, Express, Mark IV etc). Will those cause problems with my current attenuator (Weber mini mass)? I would only be using the attenuator to get good saturation at bedroom levels. I don't use it on stage.

Combos are extremely convenient for the fact that they are a 1 trip deal.
They do seem to lack in bottom end sometimes, especially the 1x12's.
Mesa makes some really great 1x12 cabs though to fix that problem.

A head is more versatile in some ways because you can use just about any cab you want with it and not feel guilty about ignoring the speakers in the combo cab. They are lighter as well.

I would say that it depends on a few things:
1. What tones are you going for?
2. What is your health condition? My Heartbreaker combo weighs in at 101 pounds after new speakers.
3. Do you really trust the speaker cabs at the venues?

I personally would never rely on someone else's cabinet. It may sound like ****, it may be broken, it may break your head if it's not working properly. It may be out on loan and you may not find out until you get there.

If budget is a concern and you are looking for a used amp, I would seriously consider a used combo. This way, you always have a speaker cab. You can also add one later. You can also place it on top of the venue's cab if it's a decent one and run it with the combo speaker.

I have a Heartbreaker combo that I love because if I go to a Blues or Rock jam it is a one trip wonder.
My DC-10 is a head. I use it with a Mesa Traditional 4x12 or any number of other cabinets that I have for serious thump!

Try out all of the options that are available to you and see which one you like the most. If you're happy with what you have, then you can concentrate on playing. And, if you have tried all of the options, hopefully there won't be any 'What ifs.'

If you buy a combo you can always change it to a head later.

Good luck in your search.

So you're saying that if I wanted to change the combo into a head later, I'd just need to buy a shell? That would totally simplify everything for me.

Also, i'm interested in mid-gain textured shred tones (guthrie govan, steve vai, eric johnson, greg howe), fender-y cleans and break up sounds (I've had fender amps, but I like the mesa and other non-fender approximations better), and metal chug sounds (LOG). I think a Mark IV might be down my alley, but a lone star would get me 2 of the 3 (the two I want the most). Metal stuff isn't a priority at the moment.

Also, be prepared to spend some time with the amp. A lot of Mesa amps, especially the Mark IV, take some time to dial in. They are not a 'Plug & Play' type of amp. This makes them extremely versatile, but fairly frustrating if you are not prepared.

Reading the manual really helps too!
Most guys, myself included, just file the manual away and start digging in.

If I were in your shoes, I would really try to play them all. Many people love the Lonestars and the Marks IV's. I could not bond with either of them. I'm more of a DC and Heartbreaker guy. That's why they have blondes, brunettes, etc.! :lol:

Monsta-Tone said:
I'm more of a DC and Heartbreaker guy. That's why they have blondes, brunettes, etc.! :lol:

Good analogy! I've owned several Mesa amps in the past two years and I've found home with my DC-3 head and thiele cab... (yes, I decided to keep the thiele and sell the recto cabs!)

Latest posts

Back