New to the Board, soon to be new to Mesa...A Few Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

So I'm new to the board, and I've been looking at Mesas seriously for a few months. I've played the Dual Rectifier with I'm not sure which Rect. Slant Cab(TRD or STRD) and I'm in love. But with being 15, I dont exactly have the cash even with my 2 jobs, especially after buying my new Carvin DC727C. So I figure, while I'm waiting to acumulate the cash I'll get to know exactly what it is that I want, and why I want it. So with that said...here are my questions:

1. I know that the Trad. Rect. Slant Cab has a tigher bass end and whatnot, but I have to hear the difference to know the difference between that and the STRD cab. Can someone post clips of a 3 Ch. Dual Rect. through both a TRD slant cab and a STRD slant cab? Or just give a really good explination that I could understand? Also, which cab is "Oversized"?

2. I think I might get the Diamond Plated Side Armor on whichever cab I get. Does anyone have this? If so, does it effect the sound at all? And could you post pics?

3. Can someone explain the difference to me between EL34's and the 6L6's? I loved the way the Dual Rect. sounded at GC and I'm guessing it had stock tubes in it, but which ones are stock?

4. The Rectifier switch on the back of the head, if you were using the tubes it would be switched to Vaccum Tubes right? And when its switched to Silicon Diodes is it Solid State?

5. The Mesa Price list says that the Blue Replacement Lens is Diffused, what does that mean? Also, can someone post pics of either Blue or Green Replacement Lenses on their amps?

6. Do the cabs come with Locking Casters?

I think thats it for now, I'm sure I'll think of other question. Sorry for the huge post. Answers are much appreciated! Thanks

I can answer questions 3 and 4 for you.

3. Mesa 6L6s are what come stock in the Dual rectifier. I believe they are sovteks (chinese made). The difference between the el34 and 6l6 is this: The 6l6 has more headroom (can get louder before the clean starts to become distorted) and is a slightly more powerful tube. It has more low-end response and clear highs then the el34. The el34 is the typical "british crunch" tube. It comes stock in marshals. This doesn't mean it will make the dual rectifier sound like a marshal though. It has more mids and more crunch to it. Some people will describe it as a creamier tube... It breaks up a little sooner than the 6l6. To learn more, www.eurobtubes.com has a good explanation, click on the mesa link on the left side of the page.

4. The "Tube" selection engages the tube rectifiers, surprised :D (jk!) The diodes are the solid state rectifier. The tube rectifier is slightly lower power and tends to have a slower rise and fall time (a looser feel or what people call "sag"). People describe it as what old vanhalen used to sound like. The solid state is more efficient, and therefore supplies more power at faster rise and fall times. A little punchier and bold in my opinion.

just wanted to say good luck. I wish I had a Mesa when I was 15. You'll absolutely love it.

AsIAm666 said:
1. I know that the Trad. Rect. Slant Cab has a tigher bass end and whatnot, but I have to hear the difference to know the difference between that and the STRD cab. Can someone post clips of a 3 Ch. Dual Rect. through both a TRD slant cab and a STRD slant cab? Or just give a really good explination that I could understand? Also, which cab is "Oversized"?

2. I think I might get the Diamond Plated Side Armor on whichever cab I get. Does anyone have this? If so, does it effect the sound at all? And could you post pics?

3. Can someone explain the difference to me between EL34's and the 6L6's? I loved the way the Dual Rect. sounded at GC and I'm guessing it had stock tubes in it, but which ones are stock?

4. The Rectifier switch on the back of the head, if you were using the tubes it would be switched to Vaccum Tubes right? And when its switched to Silicon Diodes is it Solid State?

5. The Mesa Price list says that the Blue Replacement Lens is Diffused, what does that mean? Also, can someone post pics of either Blue or Green Replacement Lenses on their amps?

6. Do the cabs come with Locking Casters?

I'll give you my quick rundown on the above questions.

1. "Standard" is the oversized cab, "Traditional" is the regular size cab. Best thing to do is play the two side by side with the same guitar, amp, settings, etc. and make your own discision. I prefer the traditional cab personally because Recto's are know for being a little loose in the low end and I think the traditional cab keeps it a little tighter. The traditional cab still thumps though. But that's my opinion.

2. I don't know for sure if the side armor effects the sound but it will certainly add weight to an already heavy cabinet. Unless you're a 15 year old body builder, you might not want to add unneeded weight. Not to mention it's a couple hundred dollar option. It does look cool though.

3. 6L6's = thicker lows and a more saturation. EL34's = richer highs and harmonics. I prefer the 6L6's but some people like EL34's better. It's all personal taste. You get most of your sound in a modern, high gain amp from the preamp anyway so unless you're blasting it, you'll notice only minor differeces between the two types of power tubes.

4. Rectifier switch controls just that, the rectifier. The rectifier just converts AC current from the wall to usable DC current in the amp. It's the first stage in the power chain. It switches between the 5U4 rectifier tubes and silicon diodes. The power amp (6L6's) and the preamp (12AX7's) are always being used.

5. Diffused lense just means it's round and opaque, rather than the clear "jewel" lights that are just colored and refract the light differently.

6. Yes, the cabs come with locking casters so if they don't have them on in the store, be sure to ask for them when you buy the cab.

Hope that helps.

Sorry, they aren't sovteks (i have no idea where i got that from :shock: must of been a late night) but they are chinese made.

jbird said:
Seven stringer huh? I'd say go with the oversized Recto STD cab!

as a 7stringer myself, Id say unless you were going for that farty new metal sound, stay far far away from oversized cabs. Matter of fact, stay away from Mesa cabs period.

I can answer question one for you....

I too am about to buy a DR and was thinking long and hard about which cab to get...I finally decided on the OVERSIZED STD cab. After listening to tons of song clips, music samples, researching my favorite bands, even calling Mesa!, it was clear the STD cab was meant for the Rectifier series.

The TRD cab i concluded is meant for the Mark Series. If you like speed metal, then this is the cab for you (along with a Mark4). Think of Metallica, or one of the bands i researched with, Lamb of god. very fast articulate riffs. great for fast alternate picking and the like.

Note however that the ONLY difference b/w both cabs is a mere 3 inches! So its not like night/day (as the mesa rep told me), but its noticeable eneough. Basically speaking, if you like the sound of a rectifier on a cd, it was mostly likely played on a STD cab.

Latest posts

Back