New to the BB... New (used) F-30

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbpatter83

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi and that I have recently picked up a used Mesa F-30.
I like the amp a lot but I'm in the very beginning of experimenting with all of the tones. I primarily play Blues and Jazz with more emphasis on blues. So far I can only play it on low volume..until I can get it out or I just want to rattle the walls but so far I like the sound. I've been playing mostly with the clean channel. When I play I tend to lean towards clean with and edge (of crunch) but just a little.

Anyway I hope to learn more about this amp.. I hope it's regarded as being pretty good as far as reliability. I'd also like to see opinions on the overall sound and performance.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks

HP

It's a very odd amp. Some days I love it, and some days I hate it. The clean channel is relatively reliable, tone wise, and can sound really nice. But I don't find it to be a set it and forget it amp. I am always tweaking knobs. It's kind of fun and frustrating at the same time.

I also don't find it great for jazz, but it's okay. It doesn't give me than soft, round, bassy sound that I associate with Wes Montgomery & hollow bodied Gibsons & neck pickups. But for fusion leads, channel 2 is pretty good. I find it hard to dial in the gain, however, for classic rock.

As far as reliability, I feel like it's built like a tank, but I have had plenty of tubes die on me. My tech said it was biased very hot, and that will use tubes. Also, I think maybe EL84's are not as long lived (or expensive) as 6L6's. So I'd say keep plenty of tubes handy.

My Fender Deluxe is much easier for my purposes, but **** if there isn't something that draws me to that Boogie! I want to love it, and I work very hard to understand it.

I have had my F30 for about 4 years now and not one problem. I do change the power tubes every six months though. NDRU is right, it is kind of quirkie. I do find my self spending a lot of time tweaking the CH2 live and in the practice room, always looking for the perfect drive sound. I really love the clean channel when it is opened up at stage volume with a good screamer. Perfect SRV tone with single coils. If you want to have some fun plug that sucker into a 4X12 cab and let it rip. Congrat's!

NDRU said:
It's a very odd amp. Some days I love it, and some days I hate it. The clean channel is relatively reliable, tone wise, and can sound really nice. But I don't find it to be a set it and forget it amp. I am always tweaking knobs. It's kind of fun and frustrating at the same time.

I also don't find it great for jazz, but it's okay. It doesn't give me than soft, round, bassy sound that I associate with Wes Montgomery & hollow bodied Gibsons & neck pickups. But for fusion leads, channel 2 is pretty good. I find it hard to dial in the gain, however, for classic rock.

As far as reliability, I feel like it's built like a tank, but I have had plenty of tubes die on me. My tech said it was biased very hot, and that will use tubes. Also, I think maybe EL84's are not as long lived (or expensive) as 6L6's. So I'd say keep plenty of tubes handy.

My Fender Deluxe is much easier for my purposes, but **** if there isn't something that draws me to that Boogie! I want to love it, and I work very hard to understand it.

That's kind of funny.. I've sort of had that love hate relationship with my Fender Blues Deluxe. So far, with the F-30 I've been able to dial in a pretty nice sound. I took the time to read the manual (a very good one at that) and really got a feel for what each knob is supposed to do and how it affects the others. I can dial in some definition of chords much better than I can with the Blues Deluxe. At times the Blues Dx produced some muddy sounding chords.

But as you sort of pointed out... the high sensitivity of each knob is sort of a blessing and a curse at the same time. Blessing that you can tweak it extensively..a curse because it's easy to lose your way with all those tweaks.

I've gotten some nice jazz tones with my 335 but haven't tried my hollow body electric yet.

Agian, I'm still in the beginning so hopefully I won't be pulling my hair out anytime soon.

Thanks

HP

fishyfishfish said:
I have had my F30 for about 4 years now and not one problem. I do change the power tubes every six months though. NDRU is right, it is kind of quirkie. I do find my self spending a lot of time tweaking the CH2 live and in the practice room, always looking for the perfect drive sound. I really love the clean channel when it is opened up at stage volume with a good screamer. Perfect SRV tone with single coils. If you want to have some fun plug that sucker into a 4X12 cab and let it rip. Congrat's!

Thanks... I've heard it really comes alive with a 4X12. I'll be sure to get some extra tubes to have around.. At least I still have my blues deluxe to use if the boogie craps out because of tubes.

HP

I've had my F-30 combo for almost 2 years and love it.

I get great classic rock tones from channel 2 by setting the gain around 9:00.

i have put in a new set of JJ's. this seems to be the best set of tubes for this amp. i tried EH, GT Sovtek, and Mesa stamped. the JJ's are head and shoulders above the rest.

i use a modded CS-3 compressor, an Xotic AC Booster, and an Xotic BB Preamp in front.

i put a DD-3 Delay, a CH-1 chorus, and a Clean Boost in the loop.

this covers all bases i need.

i have to agree with the comment about using the gain on 9:00. any more than that and there is no more distortion, just a grainy sound.

i play Modern Country and Classic Rock. this amp is all that and then some.

Yep, the JJs really help the F series amps out. Can't say the same for a Recto! Put an EQ in the loop and set it to a VERY SLIGHT smiley face and it will make the amp come alive. Add a little delay and prepare to be amazed!

Back