New to Mesas AND owning a Head + Cabinet, need input/advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbeans

Reaction score
Hi! first post so...lovely to be on this board for this awesome piece of gear.

My question is simple, I've already decided I'm going for the MarkV head, but I can't seem to decide on the Cab.
I'd appreciate opinions on: What's the outright BEST sounding Cab (I know it's a tricky subject, hence Opinions) for the Mark V.

The purpose of the amp and cab mostly for live settings and best live tone possible, and recording at 2nd priority.

So hi to you all again and thanks in advance for anything you have to share :)

(I meant Mark V this entire time lol I just realized the typo! :oops: )
-HB

These are the best loaded with EVM 12L speakers. I am biased because they are mine! 8)

effectsforebay014.jpg

For a straight up rock tone I prefer the Recto cabs. 2x12 or 4x12. I'm currently using the 2x12 and it's awesome. Still saving for another 4x12 (sold the old one).

I also have a 1x12 open back/1x12 theile cab. This setup also sounds awesome. As a bonus, the open back spreads the sound around really well so if you're unmic'd directionality is much less of an issue.

IMG_4842.jpg

IMG_4676-2.jpg

The answer would really depend on what type of music you are playing. I lean twords heavier music so I use a Recto (4x12 or 2x12) but if I was playing clean or slightly dirty I would get one of those 3/4 back 1x12 or 2x12 depending on your sound requirements.

Thanks for all the input so far. I forgot to mention the musical aspect -- the amp will mostly be used for prog, leaning towards metal, with basically all tones being important but to emphasize, a chunky Strapping Young Lad rhythm, a Petrucciesque Lead and even clean tone, altho I love Andy Timmons' clean tone, probably my favorite.

If I guess Recto Slant/Standard 4x12 would I be correct? :)

hellbeans said:
Thanks for all the input so far. I forgot to mention the musical aspect -- the amp will mostly be used for prog, leaning towards metal, with basically all tones being important but to emphasize, a chunky Strapping Young Lad rhythm, a Petrucciesque Lead and even clean tone, altho I love Andy Timmons' clean tone, probably my favorite.

the recto 4x12 will do the job mate..enjoy

hellbeans said:

Petrucci uses Recto 4x12s while Timmons uses a Recto 4x12 with his Lonestar (Stiletto w/ the Stiletto).

I have a 4X12, 2X12 & 1X12 . The 4X12 is awesome and you can feel it as well as hear it . The 2X12 horizontal recto cab is one of the best cabs made , I highly recommend it . Im also very partial to V30s its "THE" rock speaker IMHO .

I tried to connect my Mark V head with the following cabinets before -
2x12" Rectifier Horizontal (V30),
4x12" Rectifier Slant (V30),
4x12" Stiletto Slant (V30),
4x12" Marshall 1960B (X-pattern with Celestion G12T75 and V30),
4x12" Orange PPC412HP8 (Celestion G12K100).

2x12" Rectifier horizontal sounds great to me, but 4x12" Rectifier is still the BEST.
4x12" Stiletto seems having too much "upper-mid" to me.

I tried Mark V combo before and I like the sound of it, so I'm wondering
maybe any cabinet with Mesa/Celestion C90 speaker is another good option.

Does anyone has Mesa/Boogie 2x12" three-quarter (3/4) cabinet ?
How does it sound with Mark V ?

Hey screamingdaisy your sig = pure truth. :p

Anyway, I think I got the picture, now I'm only left with one tiny choice I don't even understand, Slant or Standard?

Check my picture above. The top cab is a slant cab. The bottom cab is a straight cab, the baffle is slanted though. Some straight cabs have a straight baffle in which the speakers are flush and not angled. Slanted baffles are better to hear on stage if the cabs are on the floor and not stacked.

Both of these cabs have a slanted baffle. The one on the left is a straight cab.

ampsandeffects009-1.jpg

First of all -- awesome setup man.

From what I gather it seems like I'm better off with Slanted since I won't be having any walls of cabs, probably just that one for my stage left.
Please correct me if I'm wrong and thanks for all the tips dudes :)

Back