Mark V : 35 or full on Mark V?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitefly

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm a newbie to the board so be nice! :p

By way of introduction, I am an amateur guitarist that does not play in a band (bedroom rockstar). I have been playing guitar for 15 years on and off and have now got the bug again. I've decided it's do or die and time to have a jam with others / get in a band... once I get my chops up to scratch! So in short I am nowhere near as experienced as some of you... but not completely useless.

It's been my dream to get a Mesa for years and now I can afford one. I was about to order the Mark V 25 when at the last second I noticed the 35 had come out. I have now put a deposit down on a Mark V : 35 and a rectifier vertical 2x12 cab. Totally over the top for my needs but I understand the low volume tones are decent so, screw it, you only live once! Plus buying this thing will further spur me on, as having a huge amp that isn't played (and played well) would just be embarrassing :oops: :p

I have now gone through almost every single thread on here in anticipating of the gear arriving to the UK in the next few weeks (I didn't want demo'ed gear). However, now it has come to my attention that the full Mark V may actually sound a lot better at lower volumes than the 25 and the 35, due to additional the output knob, which as far as I understand can provide the sounds of the amp working harder at modest volumes. Is this correct?

A big factor here is the pricing. UK pricing, which is ludicrous relative to the US. Current prices for the heads are £1,399 for the 25, £1,749 for the 35 and an eyewatering £2,449 for the full Mark V. The cabinet is costing me £729, so we are talking a lot of money here. However, I work extremely hard and have enough pennies to absorb paying an additional £700 for the Mark V if I need to... but just because you have the money, it doesn't mean you want to spend it readily!

Do you think I will benefit from going for the full Mark V? Or will that upgrade be totally wasted unless I was a pro-musician?

Thanks for your replies in advance :p

In my humble opinion, I think you will be fine with the Mark V 35. I have not experienced either Mark V 25 or 35 as they never seem to stay in stock in places that actually sell Mesa products (what was local to me anyways). As for the full sized V, I have had my issues and still have a few to remedy. I think I would be much happier with the JP-2C than the Mark V. On the flip side, the Mark V can sound amazing with the correct speaker setup. If I were to spend the full price on another Mark V, I would buy the JP-2C instead although that would not be suitable for low volume playing. As for the 10W power, it just does not do it for me as I prefer the amp tone and character at the 90W or 45W modes. For some reason or another I feel the EL84 seems to be better for the lower power output vs driving a pair of 6L6GC with a cathode bias circuit in Class A mode (depends on what power tubes you are using can make a difference so negate the last statement.) I do like my Mark V but actually favor the Roadster and RA100 far more (they are quite different, yes, and are similar in some respects.) Just one last note: the gain character of the 6L6GC or even EL34 (as the Mark V can use those too) is very different than the gain character of EL84. The EL84 tube sounds closer to the EL34 than it does to a 6L6. Although this is not exactly true either as my practice amp that uses a quad of EL84 sounded closer to the Mark IV with a full compliment of 6L6 tubes. Before I contradict myself even further, choosing between a Mark V 35 or the full flagship Mark V is a tough choice to consider.

bandit2013 said:
If I were to spend the full price on another Mark V, I would buy the JP-2C instead although that would not be suitable for low volume playing.

Au contraire, it sounds pretty great a low volumes, and if you're playing a venue you can cab clone it and go DI out to the PA mixing board and adjust the level so you don't kill the people sitting at tables in front of the stage.

I mean, unless that's a critical part of your act or something.

I did not speak with experience, just an assumption.
I see you have one based on your signature, dlpasco. I will have to see what it is all about... I really loved the video's.

nitefly said:
However, now it has come to my attention that the full Mark V may actually sound a lot better at lower volumes than the 25 and the 35, due to additional the output knob, which as far as I understand can provide the sounds of the amp working harder at modest volumes. Is this correct?
Not really. The gain control is really all you need for driving the preamp. I've found that the additional volume controls are only really useful for just balancing the volume with the other channels. You can get some different flavor playing with those channel masters but it's not an advantage in terms of low volume playing, imho. I bypass the fx loop in my V, so it's the same volume controls as in the smaller versions. If you want to drive the power amp you have to get loud, there's no other way around it. Besides an attenuator. The V is exceptional at low volume playing, even in 90 watts. I've only played a v25 once at low volumes so I can't give you worthy comparison, but it sounded fine. I don't see good low level volume a reason to spend the extra pounds on the big V. But if you do decide on the big V, you won't regret all the extra options and modes. It's an amazing amp.

I can't help to think that your situation is similar to mine when I bought my Mark V.
In 2010, I was just casually jamming with friends. I stopped gigging 8 years before
that so I didn't really need a "serious" amp. The v25 nor the v35 were out yet but I
tried and intended to buy the Express series equivalent.

When comparing them side-by-side, I found the Mark V a lot better for obvious
reasons and I got sucked in. Jamming turned into a couple gigging cover bands
which now has morphed into a gigging and recording original band. Thinking
back, the Express series would have never kept up with my eventual growth and
I'm glad to have gone bigger.

mark v versatility. i prefer it with el34's and i can play any style under the sun at any volume. definitely worth the extra money if you can afford it.

kreatorkills said:
mark v versatility. i prefer it with el34's and i can play any style under the sun at any volume. definitely worth the extra money if you can afford it.

I second what this guy says!!!!

Thanks for all the replies, really appreciated.

I don't doubt that the full Mark V is the superior amp, but the crux of the question is to whether it is actually work the £700 ($1000) upgrade to an amateur like myself. The core tone, as far as I can, is very similar between the 2, but the full V has more tweakability. I'm yet to see anyone give a conclusive remark on 25 or the 35 sounding poor for modern rock /metal tones. The most instantly appealing thing about the full V is the foot-switch-able reverb, but really that's easily solved by a pedal if it actually is a nuisance.

The switching between different tubes / pentode / diode stuff... I'll happily concede that is a bit beyond me, save I understand that the EL84s break up more easily and, apparently, are not as good for high-end gain at louder volumes... although Mesa themselves are defensive in their use. All very confusing!!!

I suppose it's just a case of 'fear of missing out'.

I'm grateful for any further thoughts / comments... cheers!

nitefly said:
Thanks for all the replies, really appreciated.

I don't doubt that the full Mark V is the superior amp, but the crux of the question is to whether it is actually work the £700 ($1000) upgrade to an amateur like myself. The core tone, as far as I can, is very similar between the 2, but the full V has more tweakability. I'm yet to see anyone give a conclusive remark on 25 or the 35 sounding poor for modern rock /metal tones. The most instantly appealing thing about the full V is the foot-switch-able reverb, but really that's easily solved by a pedal if it actually is a nuisance.

The switching between different tubes / pentode / diode stuff... I'll happily concede that is a bit beyond me, save I understand that the EL84s break up more easily and, apparently, are not as good for high-end gain at louder volumes... although Mesa themselves are defensive in their use. All very confusing!!!

I suppose it's just a case of 'fear of missing out'.

I'm grateful for any further thoughts / comments... cheers!

I, for one, sold my Mark V with the express intent of getting a Mark V:25, but it had a lot to do with the *other* amps that I already had. The portability and the ability use it as a preamp without an external speaker attached to it in my stereo rig were major factors for me, and I felt that my Mark III had a better lead channel than the V.

if money's an issue for you go with the 25. you can slowly put together a cool pedal board and you'll have a killer tone. you'll still get a monster tone with the 25 and it's very loud. even 10 watts can be loud. or get a used v for a few hundred more if you can find one, that's what I'd do.

Welcome to the forum nitefly!
I have been playing guitar a long time and have owned several Mesa Boogie amps (and many other brands for that matter) during my lifetime!
Personally, I think you should give serious consideration for the Mark V: 35w 112 Combo amp! I played through one recently and was blown away at how good it sounded!
In fact, so much so that I am trying to figure out what I am going to sell to buy this amp! Awesome clean, crunch and high gain lead sounds in a small, light weight combo amp!
Best of luck to you whatever you decide!

nitefly said:
I have now gone through almost every single thread on here in anticipating of the gear arriving to the UK in the next few weeks (I didn't want demo'ed gear). However, now it has come to my attention that the full Mark V may actually sound a lot better at lower volumes than the 25 and the 35, due to additional the output knob, which as far as I understand can provide the sounds of the amp working harder at modest volumes. Is this correct?
´

Seriously, I wouldn't worry too much if I were you...they are quality amps, both of them, and how well each of them performs at lowish volumes should not be the deciding factor.

Yes, I have a big V, and I pretty much always use the 90W mode, even at home, and can get nice sounds when I turn down the volume with the global Output knob. But the amp definitely sounds better when you crank it. And yes, I know at least one person who has bought an attenuator for his V:25 because he couldn't get (what he considered) decent sounds otherwise at home playing volume. But others have not experienced this problem, and, OTOH, for some players, the natural power amp saturation and crunch that the lower wattage versions deliver more readily is a very desirable thing.

IMHO, there are other factors that should weigh more when you make your decision...like whether the version you're getting has the options you need, and the smaller footprint, easier roadability and of course the more agreeable price of the mini versions. Either version, the full V or a mini V, can be made to sound at least decent at home volumes, and neither gives you their best sound before you open up the volume. (Heck, what should you call a V:35 anyway...a midi Mark?)

For me personally, the biggest benefit of the big V is the increased headroom of the 90W and extra beefiness and thump it adds to your sound. Which is why I use it almost always. But other players don't necessarily hear it or simply don't care, it's not an earthshaking difference anyway, just a slightly ballsier flavor of the same core sound.

I faced a similar dilemma when I got my Mesa. I ended up getting a used V. I tried the V:25 and V:35, but to me the thud and power of the 6L6 power amp just felt better to me. My favorite settings right now are: Channel 1 at 90watts, Channel 2 and 3 both at 45watts. It just hits harder and sounds fuller to me.
I like the V25 and V35, but I didn't jive with the EL84 power section (I have a Peavey Classic 30, an EL84 amp, so I do like them for certain applications) in the Mesa format.
There are 2 things about the full V head that I dislike:
1. It is heavy.
2. I wish it had the cabclone, ala the V25/35 or JP2C. (I can always just purchase a cab clone as a standalone unit though)
But other than that, I'm good.

Not having played a 35, I would say the V would be the better choice. I can still recall back some 26 years ago when I formed a band, my low power fender was not enough, neither was a 100W solidstate Marshall. Then I got my first boogie, Mark III combo, I had plenty of power available with a single 12" speaker to keep up with the Bass and Drummer. But once you get the full size V, you will want to crank it up higher and higher until you can feel in in your chest :p And if I want more, just hook the amp up to a 412 cab, or even better, two 412 cabs, just an awesome experience. For flexibility, the Mark V would be a good bet. Not sure how much of a load the 35 can drive. Perhaps a 412 cab and that would be about it. (may need more like a 50W to push a 412 though). I have played the Mark V at 10W though a 412 and it is loud enough for a small venue.

I bought my MkV at GuitarGuitar.
For a £700 difference, I wouldn't even consider the difference, just get the big amp.
There are a few reasons for this.
1 on the clean channel, you're going to notice EL84's. There's no getting away from their anarchic sound as soon as the volume starts going up.
That means you're going to edge away from those classic early 60's/late 50's Fender amp sounds. The MkV does a great Champ/Princeton sound. In 10watt mode. Where an El84 amp is going to sound more Watkins (not a bad thing, I've a 58 Clubman that I adore), as the volume goes up and those very distinct EL84's come to the fore.
Where if you desperately want that sound at any point, you'll get very close to it on the MkV with EL34's and tweed or edge settings in 10watt. But you'll never get the EL84's to do the 6L6 thing.

2 the sheer number of options on the full amp. Really with both amps, you're not talking about modes. It's not a modelling amp. It's more like having 9 amps in one box. Admittedly some are more useful than others. As awkward as the mk1&2 settings are. They're utterly stand alone. £700 for 3 amps, is the way I'd view that.

3 horsepower. If you're looking to gig running your amp at lower volumes puts less strain on the valves. So using a smaller amp, turned up, you're straining the valves more. EL84's ain't a big deal here, £10 a throw for JJ's. But they are valves that run hot, hotter than octal based valves. I've a self built 18watt that I gigged for a couple of years. It's a funny amp the thing hits full volume on 3 or 4 of the master. Then adds compression up to 6 then adds distortion. What I have noticed on that and AC30's is that unless the EL84's are being driven hard, the low end sounds thin and stiff. I don't think Mesa would release an amp with that problem. However I can't help think it's an inherent thing with those valves.

My advice, buy the 90watt head. The combo weighs a tonne. The speaker isn't for everyone. It takes a hell of a lot of work to get used to the amp. I bought mine April 13th last year. I'm just getting to grips with the Mk2 setting. But it's worth it. It sounds godlike. I play multiple styles. I just quit a covers band that I wouldn't have dreamt of taking any of my other amps to. (2 JCM800's. A 74 plexi. 18watter, clubman, class 5 and an AC30).

A wild update appears!!!!

After a lot of deliberating I decided to go with..... *drumroll*

.... the full Mark V. It is excessive with features but the cash difference is probably a small price for peace of mind with my choice, that extra channel and foot-switchable reverb!

I look forward to breaking all the glass in my house at volume level 1.

Thanks for all you input, it was really very useful :)

nitefly said:
A wild update appears!!!!

After a lot of deliberating I decided to go with..... *drumroll*

.... the full Mark V. It is excessive with features but the cash difference is probably a small price for peace of mind with my choice, that extra channel and foot-switchable reverb!

I look forward to breaking all the glass in my house at volume level 1.

Thanks for all you input, it was really very useful :)

This amp will grow with you!

Hi All,

Long time lurker here, sorry for hijacking the thread, but I have the exact same dilemma... I'm in the market to buy 1 (and only have 1) amp for mostly apartment playing and home studio recording (mostly direct/silent). I'm no stranger to M/B, having previously owned Studio, Quad, Triaxis, 2:90, Mark IV & Mark 2c+ amps (not at the same time of course!), but at that time I was actually able to crank the volume being in a house.

Now, I'm in an apartment and have narrowed my search to either the Mark V:35 or Full Mark V combo. I already know I love the Mark sound and only having the room for 1 amp I want one that is versatile and will cover a lot of tones.

I've read through the previous replies and want to know if I'd be missing anything by going with the v:35. I'm very much intrigued by the Tweed and Mark I modes, are they worth it? In either case, I would be playing with low/bedroom volume and would have to buy a cab clone for the full mark v anyway and would probably prefer the combo version for space constraints. As far as budget I could buy the v:35 new or the full mark combo used.

I appreciate the insights in advance, thanks!

GibLP44 said:
I've read through the previous replies and want to know if I'd be missing anything by going with the v:35. I'm very much intrigued by the Tweed and Mark I modes, are they worth it? In either case, I would be playing with low/bedroom volume and would have to buy a cab clone for the full mark v anyway and would probably prefer the combo version for space constraints. As far as budget I could buy the v:35 new or the full mark combo used.

IMHO, the extra modes on the big V shouldn't be the deciding factor. While they are useful - I like the Edge mode (on EL34s) for classic rock sounds, and the Mark I mode (again on EL34s) is my favorite channel 2 sound - they are ultimately nothing more than different voicings of the same core amp sound. Even without them, a 2-channel V (a 25 or a 35) will cover a lot of ground and can do just about any style you can think of.

In your case space and volume constraints seem a much more relevant issue. Plus the built-in cab clone for home recordings. If I were you, I would choose the V:35.

Latest posts

Back