New to forum, Just got a Rectoverb 50!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poweredbysoul

Reaction score
Just picked up a Rectoverb 50 in mint condition. Just got back from band practice and I love the tone of this amp. Started with all knobs at noon except reverb! Stayed in the raw and vintage modes and got great tone with minor tone tweaks. This amp is very full and rich sounding. Great push in the bottom end and great clarity. We jammed some blues, rock, hard rock and metal and this thing had a great pro level tone. I couldn't believe it!!!
Right now it has 6L6's in it, I am an EL 34 fan and it's nice to have the option with this amp. Anyone running the 34's in it? What can you tell me on how it differs with this amp?
Thinking about ordering a pair from the mesa sight for more tone options.
I had a F30 head and a couple of thiele cabs years ago, was never truly satisfied with it, but the rectoverb is much better in my opinion, great versatility.
My Mesa faith has been renewed!!!
A sid note I fine the modern mode kind of harsh, and tips for dialing it in, for times when I want bone crunching metal?

poweredbysoul said:
Just picked up a Rectoverb 50 in mint condition. Just got back from band practice and I love the tone of this amp. Started with all knobs at noon except reverb! Stayed in the raw and vintage modes and got great tone with minor tone tweaks. This amp is very full and rich sounding. Great push in the bottom end and great clarity. We jammed some blues, rock, hard rock and metal and this thing had a great pro level tone. I couldn't believe it!!!
Right now it has 6L6's in it, I am an EL 34 fan and it's nice to have the option with this amp. Anyone running the 34's in it? What can you tell me on how it differs with this amp?
I had a F30 head and a couple of thiele cabs years ago, was never truly satisfied with it, but the rectoverb is much better in my opinion, great versatility.
A sid note I fine the modern mode kind of harsh, and tips for dialing it in, for times when I want bone crunching metal?

bold for metal and spongy for el34 use

poweredbysoul said:

bold for metal and spongy for el34 use

No Bold or Spongy option on the ROV.

To dial out the harshness in Modern, dial the gain back to around noon. I also found the amp more responsive when driving the output and volume evenly.

Congrats on the new purchase.

BTW if you are only using the on board speaker the thing sounds great with a 2x12 or 4x12 Rectifier cab.

Whats your take on the EL34 option?
Also I don't have a Mesa dealer near by, about 2 hours away. As far as tube replacements go should I stick with boogie tubes?

poweredbysoul said:
Whats your take on the EL34 option?
Also I don't have a Mesa dealer near by, about 2 hours away. As far as tube replacements go should I stick with boogie tubes?

If it's under warranty, stick with boogie tubes, just makes your life easier and boogie tubes are easy to find.

If it's not under warranty, take it into a decent amp tech and ask him to match up some JJ's el34s for ya. You'll find a whole new amp lurking in there!

poweredbysoul said:

I used to run GT E34Ls's in my rectoverb......it sounds like your normal recto tone without the deep lowend and with that classic el34 midrange growl and the amp will bnreakup a lot sooner.......I've found thaty the amp sounds best when running the volume(master) @ 12:00 and the output high and the gain as low as you can get away with......but that's just me....a lot of guys run the master and output even and use more preamp gain for that infamous recto tone.

GT tubes, sounds interesting. Can i run a matched set of these without any hassle. Read somewhere that the amp is fixed bias and to use mesa tubes. Any tips for other brands. Was gonna order some off tube depot.
Thanks

Back